Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HST vs. Onion Valley vs. Horseshoe Meadows to WP
#41568 01/23/15 10:20 AM
OP Offline
I'd like to plan a backpacking trip for this summer that involves a Mt. Whitney summit. I'm just in the beginning stages, but already have some questions. Here are the three possible trips I am thinking about, in no particular order.

A. The High Sierra Trail to Whitney Portal
B. Onion Valley to Whitney Portal
C. Horseshoe Meadow to Whitney Portal

Here are some things I am thinking about. I know most of these are wide open questions, but I would appreciate any information or opinions you can provide:

Q1. If you could take any of these trips, which would you choose and why?
Q2. What time of year should I get the permits for? Snow/ice, mosquitos and bad weather are concerns.
Q3. How many days do you recommend for each trip? I understand that this is a tough question to answer, but that's why I am seeking help. I believe we can hike 10 miles per day comfortably, but since I am in the early stages of planning this hike, I am unaware of any particular parts of the trail that may slow me down or be more difficult than they look on paper.

Permits
Q4. What permits are required?
Q5. Which trip has the easiest permits to obtain? The hardest?
Q6. Since I would be exiting at the Portal, does that mean I bypass the need to enter the lottery?

Transportation
Q7. This is what I've found searching Google. Any problems with these ideas or do you suggest other options?
A. High Sierra Trail - Take Greyhound bus from San Bernardino to Visalia (~$50). Take the Sequoia Shuttle(~$15) from Visalia to the trailhead. Have someone pick me up in Lone Pine.
B. Onion Valley - Drive my own vehicle to the trailhead. Take East Side Sierra Shuttle from WP to OV ($110 first passenger, $25 each additional.)
C. Horshoe Meadows - Drive my own vehicle to the trailhead. Take East Side Sierra Shuttle from WP to HM ($120 first passenger, $35 each additional.)

Q8. If leaving a vehicle at the trailheads, are parking permits or special arrangement required?

Re: HST vs. Onion Valley vs. Horseshoe Meadows to WP
63ChevyII.com #41571 01/23/15 06:44 PM
G
G
I've done the Horseshoe Meadow to WP route twice and I really like it. (In Aug and Sept the route was much less crowded than I would have expected, and there are no bugs then.) Acclimatize with a Trail Peak day hike as described awhile back by Steve C. Both times It was a 5-night trip, staying at Chicken Spring or Long Lake the first night, and staying at Lone Pine Lake the last night so as to be able to have huge pancakes for breakfast at the WPS. Get standard permit for entry trailhead (Cottonwood Lakes or Cottonwood Pass) but do it very, very early because you also need the Trail Crest exit permit which has a tight quota. You're right, the lottery is not involved.

Glenn #41580 01/24/15 09:05 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the input Glenn, I appreciate it!

63ChevyII.com #41582 01/25/15 12:02 AM
S
S
63Chevy:
Q1: I would do all 3! I've done 2, and hope to try some variation of "C" this year. Life is long, take your time, do them all.

B and C are shorter trips than the HST, if that makes any difference. I would take the HST later in summer on a wet year, due to the need to ford the Kern River Big Arroyo Creek without a bridge.

I did the Onion Valley trip in 4 days hiking, third night on the summit of Whitney. AMS was a factor the first two nights. My HST trip took 5 nights/6 days. An extra day would be nicer.

Permits: HST only requires a permit from Seki to start.
B and C require both a start and Trail Crest exit from Inyo. None in the lottery, they are available 6 months in advance, and a few are held back available to walk-in requests.

Q8: no parking permits required.

Last edited by Steve C; 01/25/15 12:48 PM.
63ChevyII.com #41585 01/25/15 10:16 AM
W
W
I've done 2 of 3...HM and OV. The former 3 times, the latter once. If I were to do either again, it would be a trip starting in Onion Valley. For beauty it has it all over the trip from Horseshoe Meadow...and I've done the both the Cottonwood Pass and NAP verisons, if this is your choice go over NAP or AP. I truly hate Cottonwood Pass.

My preference is for mid-September. I have done it in this time frame and have seen next no one between the pass and Lower Trail Crest. I true wilderness experience for a few days. You just need some warmies...we saw single digits on the summit one time and below freezing the other times.

I have done OV in 4 days and HM in 3. These are high paced trips. They can be done much more leisurely pace. The only thing recommend is not to stay at either of the east side ghettos. Either come out or stay at Consultation or Lone Pine Lakes.

Permits are generally not a problem for the trailhead and only a minor annoyance for the Exit...Trail Crest Permit. I never come out on the date of my permit. When I have been on a reserved permit, we take whatever date is available...no more than a week out or whatever is available as a walk-in. This process is made for lying and cheating.

No stinking lottery, period. Just call 6 months in advance of your entry. You will be in like Flynn.

The one time I did as a solo, I thumbed a ride over from WP to HM. Just park your car in the long term parking area at WP and make sure it is clean.

wbtravis #41586 01/25/15 11:27 AM
P
P
Just a couple bits of info......

-Trail Crest Exit (Permits 25 per day)
-Kearsarge Pass Entry (Permits 60, with 36 reserved, 24 walk-in)
-Cottonwood Pass Entry (Permits 40, with 24 reserve, 16 walk-in)

Last year was my 50th year of hiking and have done all the routes several times. The key question for me is, how much time are you allocating for the trip since that will determine route?

Obviously logistics is a major issue. For that matter, I'd skip the HST and do it at a later date. As for entry point, again, how much time?

For me, the Onion Valley to Portal is the most enjoyable and really gives you a excellent feel for the backcountry.

As for timing, last year I had snow on my May 4th trip down to the Kern River. My last trip, end of September, first of October...two days of snow. Both times, nothing significant.

Fall is a great time. Less people, nicer weather, cooler days and nights.

By the way, how many people are going?

paul

Paul #41589 01/25/15 12:46 PM
S
S
63Chevy: I think I erred on the Kern River crossing. There is a bridge to cross it, just S of Kern Hot Springs. It is the Big Arroyo crossing that could be an issue in the early summer of a high water year. By the way, Kern Hot Spring is a nice attraction on the HST trip, but you are guaranteed there will be significant numbers of people there.

You can always vary your HST trip and leave out some of the trail. Both the Pants Pass shortcut and the Whitney Creek shortcut would guarantee you miles and miles of solitude.

Now, no matter which of the three hikes you take, there is a sweet "wilderness solitude" experience on Whitney Creek, about an hour down from the Crabtree R.S. area. It is the old packers camp I found last summer. I am extremely interested in seeing what the spring looks like that ranger Rob P mentioned near there. I want to get back there and check it out, or maybe someone like you (or Paul) could do it.

63ChevyII.com #41599 01/26/15 11:06 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the input everyone.

Just looking at the trips themselves (not considering logistics, permits, etc), my order of preference is:
HST
OV
HM

Originally Posted By: Paul

By the way, how many people are going?

I am planning the trip with one other person. After we get our dates and itinerary nailed down, there are a couple of other people that I'll extend an invite to. I don't think I want to lead a trip like this with more than 4 people at this point.

Originally Posted By: Paul

The key question for me is, how much time are you allocating for the trip since that will determine route?

Obviously logistics is a major issue. For that matter, I'd skip the HST and do it at a later date. As for entry point, again, how much time?

In terms of time for the trip - essentially I want to figure out how much time I think we need to complete each hike. How much time is needed will play into the decision of which hike I try to do, but it is a secondary concern. I forsee myself taking 5 days off from work (M-F) and possibly tacking on another day on either end if it is needed for travel.

I would like to do all of these trips eventually. To make matters more complicated, our family may be moving to NH this year. I don't think this will happen until mid-summer or early fall. With that in mind, I am hoping to get this trip in while I am still living here, or maybe extend my stay in CA for a few weeks after we move all of our stuff. Logistically, the HST trip is giving me a headache, but I wonder if it would be easier for me to do it while I am still living in CA. In terms of getting time off, HST would be easier now since I won't need to spend 2 days travelling from & to the east coast.

Originally Posted By: wbtravis
I never come out on the date of my permit... This process is made for lying and cheating.

I've read similar statements regarding overnight permits on MMWT. If I understood correctly, they were saying that if you have a reserved permit for 1 night, 'it's not a big problem if you need to say a second' or something along those lines.

Originally Posted By: Steve C
It is the Big Arroyo crossing that could be an issue in the early summer of a high water year.

Good to know, thanks! If I need to do this trip early in the season (see possible move above), I think I should save HST for another time.

By the way, Kern Hot Spring is a nice attraction on the HST trip... There is a sweet "wilderness solitude" experience on Whitney Creek...

Cool,I am interested in checking out both

63ChevyII.com #41602 01/26/15 11:59 AM
S
S
If you are leaving CA, I would definitely do the HST now!

That Big Arroyo crossing would just require care. This is not playing out to be a high water year. Sierra snowpack is 64% of normal at this point, with zilch on the radar.

The public transportation options from LA using Amtrak and the public shuttles will work, though the Visalia connection may require an overnight (from what I have read). Thinking more about it, you could possibly even hire a taxi out of Visalia to get to Sequoia -- I asked a driver once, and he told me it would be about $150 to get to Sequoia.

Last edited by Steve C; 01/26/15 12:01 PM.
63ChevyII.com #41665 01/31/15 09:46 AM
W
W
The exit date is really between you and your family, not the government. They are not going to report you missing unless you are late.

The exit permit idea is bureaucratic stupidity. If it puts 4 or 5 extra people on MMWT one day, 4 or 5 less the next...who cares other than the bureaucrat? Issue 25 entry permits per day with a Whitney Zone enhancement, the rest will take care of itself.

wbtravis #41732 02/09/15 11:21 AM
OP Offline
Do they issue/hold walk-in permits for those that want to hike Onion Valley to Whitney Portal, or do you need to get the Trail Crest permit through recreation.gov?

63ChevyII.com #41735 02/09/15 03:17 PM
G
G
63ChevyII,

The Trail Crest exit quota is 25 with 15 reservable and 10 walk-in. You get that at the same time/same place as your Onion Valley entry permit.

Glenn

Glenn #41858 02/26/15 10:47 AM
OP Offline
Are the SEKI permits transferable? I don't see anywhere to list a alternate leader.

63ChevyII.com #41860 02/26/15 09:08 PM
S
S
Well... I'm going in Kearsarge and exiting New Army (visiting Whitney) over 8 days at the end of June (6/20-6/28)

I've got 2 possible open spots on the permit. Interested in a slot if you can't get your days?

You can purchase permits on Recreation.gov 6 months out (sans lottery) so long as you aren't entering via WP. They show the available number of permits in real-time.

Also, hitchhike, ALWAYS hitchhike.

smile

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
63ChevyII.com #41861 02/26/15 09:22 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
Do they issue/hold walk-in permits for those that want to hike Onion Valley to Whitney Portal, or do you need to get the Trail Crest permit through recreation.gov?

Yes, through Rec.gov.

I have never had any problem getting one or two walk-ins so long as I walk-in on a Weds or Thurs.

Also I've done the HST and JMT and I preferred the JMT approach from Kearsarge. I hear the Siberian Outpost is pretty dry, sandy and miserable (the section of PCT as it wraps around the west face of Cirque Peak)
See here: http://www.sierradescents.com/hiking/pacific-crest-trail/2008/onion-to-cottonwood-10.html

Snacking Bear #41862 02/27/15 08:48 AM
B
B
The HM/Cottonwood pass route gets a lot of flak - I think its worth putting in context... This is the High Sierra. Within reason, its all absolutely stunning. I've done the HM route a couple of times, and its spectacular. Might not be the best route out there, but hard to see how you'd find it disappointing. Its also logistically very easy - both times I've left my car in Lone Pine and gotten a shuttle up to the start and back from the end, saving a couple of hours of driving.

The section over Siberian Outpost is sandy and undulating, but the alternate dropping down to rock creek is beautiful and has lots of water and is only 0.5 mile longer - well worth going this route.

There'a also an amusing trail sign on the way that was obviously once meant to be on Whitney but they made a spelling mistake, so flipped it around and engraved one of the park boundary signs on the back instead... anyone else ever seen this?

It's 42 miles and total about 9k ft ascent. I've done it in 1.5 days once and 8 days once (with a 7 and 9 yr old). I think 4 days would be really comfortable.

Snacking Bear #41882 03/04/15 09:09 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the input everyone.

Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
Well... I'm going in Kearsarge and exiting New Army (visiting Whitney) over 8 days at the end of June (6/20-6/28)

I've got 2 possible open spots on the permit. Interested in a slot if you can't get your days?

That's an option we hadn't considered. Is the mileage on that trip about 70 miles? If you don't mind sharing, what's the planned itinerary (mileage each day, etc).

If I can get that block of time off, I would certainly consider joining you. I will have to step up my training though- your TRs are a little intimidating!

britonwhit(ney) #41883 03/04/15 09:10 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: britonwhit(ney)

It's 42 miles and total about 9k ft ascent. I've done it in 1.5 days once and 8 days once (with a 7 and 9 yr old). I think 4 days would be really comfortable.

Thanks, that great info.

I grabbed Cottonwood Lakes permits with a WP exit as a backup. I submitted my HST application Sunday. It took 3 hours for the fax to go through. I am guessing it will be a while before I hear back.

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 03/04/15 09:10 AM.
63ChevyII.com #41886 03/04/15 09:58 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
If I can get that block of time off, I would certainly consider joining you. I will have to step up my training though- your TRs are a little intimidating!

Chevy! You're making me blush!

This trip is purposely going to be easier than I would normally go.

If you want to PM me your email I can email you a spreadsheet with my itinerary, daily mileage, daily elevation gain (all approximate). I'm hoping to keep the backpacking modest and permit a few options for side peak scrambles.

Again I'm the only one going thus far, everyone else is a tentative yes, so the sooner I can get a confirmation I can save a slot for you and other friend.

If nothing else this could be a future 'to-do' on your list!

Snacking Bear #41887 03/04/15 10:28 AM
S
S
> If you want to PM me your email I can email you a spreadsheet with my itinerary, daily mileage, daily elevation gain (all approximate).

Send it to me and I'll post it in this thread! (email is in my profile, or use the "Contact us" link.)
Stats are always fun to see.

Steve C #41891 03/04/15 10:00 PM
S
S
Here are the numbers from SB.
Only question: Above you wrote this trip would be "the end of June (6/20-6/28)", but the dates below are for August.

From To Miles Gain Loss Elev Miles
Onion Valley Kearsarge Pass 4.7 2,700 11,800 5
Kearsarge Pass Vidette Mdws 4.0 -2,200 9,600 9
Vidette Mdws Forester Pass 7.4 3,600 13,200 16
Forester Pass Tyndall Creek 5.0 -2,200 11,000 21
Tyndall Creek Wallace Creek 4.4 500 -1,100 10,400 26
Wallace Creek Crabtree C.O. 3.4 600 -200 10,800 29
Crabtree C.O. Crabtree R.S. 0.8 -100 10,700 30
Crabtree R.S. Whitney Summit 7.5 3,800 14,500 37
Whitney Summit Crabtree R.S. 7.5 -3,800 10,700 45
Crabtree R.S. PCT Junction 1.3 -300 10,400 46
PCT Junction Rock Creek R.S. 6.7 900 -1,500 9,800 53
Rock Creek R.S. Soldier Lakes 3.4 1,500 11,300 56
Soldier Lakes N.A.P. Jct 0.5 11,300 57
N.A.P. Jct H.M. C.O. 6.1 1,400 -1,300 11,400 63
H.M. C.O Horseshoe Mdw 4.0 -1,400 10,000 67
---- ------ ------ ------ ---
Totals 66.7 15,000 -14,100 11,127 67

Itinerary
-----Date------ ---Embark--- ---Camp---- Miles Gain Loss Grade %
Day 1: Sat 6/20 Onion V. TH Vidette Mdw 8.7 2700 -2200 +11% -10%
Day 2: Sun 6/21 Vidette Mdw Camp 11,200' 3.6 1300
Day 3: Mon 6/22 Camp 11,200 Tyndall Cr. 8.8 2300 -2200 +9% -9%
Day 4: Mon 6/22 Tyndall Cr. Guitar Lk 11.1 2400 -1400 +7% -6%
Day 5: Tue 6/23 Whitney! Whitney! 10 2500 -2500 +10% -10%
Day 6: Wed 6/24 Guitar Lk. Rock Cr. R.S. 11.5 900 -3100 +5% -7%
Day 7: Thu 6/25 Rock Cr. R.S. Cottonwood Lks 7 2900 -1600 +10% -13%
Day 8: Fri 6/26 Cottonwd Lks Horseshoe Mdw 6 -1100 -3%
---- ----- -------
Totals: 66.7 15000 -14100

Last edited by Steve C; 03/16/15 11:48 PM.
Steve C #41892 03/04/15 10:21 PM
S
S
Good catch. I was originally planning a trip for a Scout troop, plans fell through so I picked dates that worked better for me.

smile

britonwhit(ney) #41894 03/05/15 07:02 AM
A
A
Is this the sign?

Alan

Snacking Bear #41897 03/05/15 10:20 AM
S
S
Good catch. I was originally planning a trip for a Scout troop, plans fell through so I picked dates that worked better for me.

smile

SB, what are your new dates. I'll fix the table above.

Steve C #41899 03/05/15 01:49 PM
Would also be curious as to last nights camp location and route. NAP or Army Pass?

John Sims #41905 03/05/15 06:16 PM
My wife and I will be heading SOBO toward Forester Pass on the 22nd, if we stay on schedule from South Lake. We plan to get a Whitney exit permit at the counter, but we're also considering Horseshoe Meadows, which is our current permit. I'll stay tuned to see how your plans develop.

John Sims #41906 03/05/15 06:52 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Would also be curious as to last nights camp location and route. NAP or Army Pass?

Well John, I can't be so sure. I've never done NAP, but I've been up the Cottonwood side of AP twice, and since it is 700 feet lower I'd imagine I'd go up over that way and spend the last night in Cottonwood lakes as a last hurrah.

If I'm bumming I may sleep low at Soldier Lakes and hump up over on the last day.

I'm relatively flexible...

Steve C #41907 03/05/15 07:03 PM
S
S

smile

SB, what are your new dates. I'll fix the table above.

6/20-6/26

I'm probably going to add an extra day (6/27) I'll recalculate later... For now this gives a pretty good picture of what I'm shooting for: a moderate long-term trip.

Doing the HST last year in 84 hours made me realize the advantages to slowing down... sick

Snacking Bear #41908 03/05/15 10:17 PM

Well John, I can't be so sure. I've never done NAP, but I've been up the Cottonwood side of AP twice, and since it is 700 feet lower I'd imagine I'd go up over that way and spend the last night in Cottonwood lakes as a last hurrah.

If I'm bumming I may sleep low at Soldier Lakes and hump up over on the last day.

I'm relatively flexible...

June might be interesting due to snow. Most folks tend to avoid Old Army Pass due to cornice that forms toward the top. I guess that Cottonwood Lakes would be more private, but there is a nice camping area on the west end of Long Lake (NAP route).

View from NAP. Long Lake is second lake

West end is on the "near" end of the lake, camping amongst the trees. The pic does not capture the scale of the camping area, or the size of the lake.

More pics available at: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/galleries/32059/Horseshoe_Meadows_-_Army_Pass_#comments

Many choices and paths to consider grin

Last edited by John Sims; 03/05/15 10:39 PM. Reason: Add pictures
John Sims #41911 03/06/15 07:49 AM
So John, what do you recommend for a route through this area at the end of a 100-miler? We'll be looking for simplicity at this point in the trip, not so much camping or fishing. Nice pix.

SierraNevada #41916 03/06/15 10:41 AM
P
P
Last year was my 50th year of hiking in the Sierras.

I do the Kern River loop two to three times a year. Last year I was down in the Kern for a week May 4th.

My trips of this nature end with the crossing of either Army or New Army Pass depending on conditions.

The May 4th trip had me turn around at Wallace Creek and the JMT/PCT. However, my last 2 days of hiking normally, go with something like this. If I camp at Wallace Creek, I camp at Lower Rock Creek and then head up Rock Creek and out the same day. If I camp at Lower Crabtree, I camp at the entrance to New Army Pass, at the trail junction. There are 2, very large campsites. One on each side of the stream that comes out of the canyon. Camping there allows me to exit the same day (if I leave the campsite at 8am, I am on the pass at 9:45 and at the car by 1:30....I always take the South Fork Trail in and out. It cuts off an hour, or about 2 miles)

Last late September/the first of October I came through this area and the stream was flowing very well.....not so much for Guyot creek.

Very nice campsite for the last day. This campsite is half a mile from Soldier.

The site, at the entrance is 2.3 miles to New Army Pass, and 7 to the trailhead, or about 2 less if you take the South Fork Trail.

If you are not familiar with the South Fork trail, or travelling a half mile or so cross country to get to it, I would avoid this as a first time unless you are good at (easy) route finding.

The climb out of Rock Creek to Soldier is short but hideous. I always hate doing it because it normally occurs at the end of the day.

Last early June, I did the above hike and exited New Army. There was still a 20 foot cornice to go over....very easy, nothing difficult .

paul

Paul #41918 03/06/15 04:52 PM
Good beta. No issues with off-trail, I prefer it unless it involves a lot of bushwacking. Cornices and avalanche hazard of any sort really creep out my wife big time - can't do that, but I'll map out the rest of these routes. Seems like this can save some time on the exit. Thanks, Paul.

SierraNevada #41919 03/06/15 05:59 PM
P
P
The Old South Fork Trail doesn't show on all maps, but it is very visible and well travelled.

There are two ways to connect with the trail. The first is to jump off the trail at the stream crossing from Long Lake I have done this a couple times, but particularly don't like it because of the obstacles encountered down to South Lake.

Since I normally descend Army, I cross over at the end of lake 1 and junction with the trail from New Army. From there I just walk off the gentle slope and head south thru the trees and after a half mile or so meet up with the new trail to South Lake.

When you are at South Lake, turn to your left and you'll see a well used path that follows the stream down the canyon.

This trail, meets up with the main trail just before the first stream crossing (if hiking north). At that point, it's 3o minutes or so to the trailhead.

FYI..... you will come to an old trappers cabin on the trail This cabin is about quarter of a mile from the main trail junction.

paul

SierraNevada #41922 03/06/15 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
So John, what do you recommend for a route through this area at the end of a 100-miler? We'll be looking for simplicity at this point in the trip, not so much camping or fishing. Nice pix.

Honestly speaking I'm not really the right guy to ask. My idea of camping involves a Quality Inn or Comfort Inn.

Nonetheless, I would say that weather and trail conditions should dictate your decision. On the attached map you can see my preferences if weather and trail conditions do not enter the equation. I would take the shortest route, without extra climbing. However, it is more likely that Army Pass will still have snow. It faces more North East, and gets less sun.

Both routes are worth the price of admission, and will be enjoyed I think.

John Sims #41926 03/07/15 06:03 PM
W
W
"My idea of camping involves a Quality Inn or Comfort Inn."

John, say it isn't so!

Come on, you've got to rough it up like me . . . go with Motel 6!

(Unless booking.com finds something even cheaper.)

laugh

63ChevyII.com #41969 03/16/15 04:37 PM
S
S
I had decided to add an additional day, so I'm going to e-mail Steve C. my new spreadsheet about updating my itinerary.

I don't expect him to post it, but I added a short day in Bubbs creek for an extra bit of acclimatization or time to bag a peak if were feeling it.

I also have a few maps with my potential campsites... John does bring up an additional issue with my final AP v. NAP route into Cottonwood.

Long lake sounds like a good second-choice campsite, although my favorite site in Cottonwood is the bluff in between C-Lakes 3 & 4. Less crowded than the sites at the head of Lake 4.

I know some people do have issue finding the trail over AP, though the two times I've been up that way (once in a hail/rain/t-storm) it was an easy to follow trail (in a little disrepair) though I never felt that it was that sketchy. The top, however, is a north-facing slope, and those are trouble. I love the views of Langley's SE ridge and the lakes coming down AP!

Snacking Bear #41970 03/16/15 11:49 PM
S
S
Itinerary updated above.

Steve C #41971 03/17/15 12:25 PM
OP Offline
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we will start hiking the HST starting June 17 grin

Thanks for the offers Snacking Bear, I appreciate it! Will you go on your trip solo if you have no one to join you?

63ChevyII.com #41972 03/17/15 02:45 PM
S
S
Thanks Steve!

63ChevyII, you betcha! Besides, going up Whitney I've never really been totally alone. So many folks...

Snacking Bear #41975 03/17/15 05:37 PM
Would love to see you on the trail SB, but we're going in August, not June. The typo in the spreadsheet through off my first post.

I learned more about the options in the C-Lakes area. thanks

Alan A #41992 03/21/15 01:36 PM
B
B
Sorry for delayed response (and now reverse-thread drift!) - Alan A hit the nail on the head with that sign, its the exact one I spotted! It looks like a failed attempt at the trail crest/JMT junction lightning warning sign, with some subtle recycling of the expensive metal plate.

63ChevyII.com #42052 03/29/15 09:39 PM
D
D
Hey! Good call, dude! I'll be hitting that early/mid Aug. Looking fwd to your trip report! :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard