Print Thread
Dynamic Duo: Two Books You Must Own!
#4193 05/10/10 10:24 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
At long last, my two-fer gift to myself has arrived:

1.The High Sierra: Peaks~Passes~Trails -- R.J. Secor

2.Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills -- The Mountaineers

Perhaps I am late to the game -- let me correct -- I am late to the game, thus, I have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to where and what I am going to do in the Sierra. Folks, with these two gems, darn near every question that comes to mind on the topic of mountains is here. Do I need an ice axe? -- check out Part 4 page 305 in Mountaineering. Wanna climb Finger Peaks? (Laura?)turn to page 448 The High Sierra.

One could sit at the keyboard fielding forum queries by handing out page numbers! (should you have nothing better to do)

I do not mean to sound corny, but these books are what dreams are made of, or more accurately, they are a product of dreams translated for all the rest of us newbies learning to tie our shoes (there IS a correct way) before we tie a prusik.

(ignore this post if you are in the 99th percentile who already own 6 previous editions of these books)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Re: Dynamic Duo: Two Books You Must Own!
Bee #4197 05/11/10 05:36 AM
You are so right to put the buzzzzzz out on those two books, Mzz. Bee. (As for late in the game, I'll smack you around about that later).

When I plan a trip, I've got a Secor on my left, the topos in front of me, and a glass of wine in my right. It's a good overview of most of the peaks, and a good place to get the starter information (ie: is this peak technical or not, feasibility for solo or not). After figuring the route in my head and on the map, I usually go to summitpost.org for more information, trip reports, and photos.

FOTH was the textbook for the Wilderness Training Course (WTC) that I took back in 2007. When I started doing more technical rock climbing last summer I read the center sections that covered that sort of information (not covered in the class). Again, excellent overview, illustrations, and instructions, and it led me to other texts with more detailed information.

But you're right, Bee. What I see more and more often are people wandering out onto the trails completely unprepared or unaware of what they are getting themselves into. Just a little preparation can go a long way to heighten safety and pleasure in the BC, and can be the difference between success and epic.

And yes, Bee, Finger Peaks is actually the first day of the Sierra Challenge this summer. Perhaps a scouting trip is in order? wink

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Bee #4269 05/13/10 01:01 PM
S
S
Laura--any books you particularly recommend? I just ordered Espresso for the Rock Warriors, or some such.

steelfrog #4272 05/13/10 05:26 PM
LOL, John. The Rock Warrior's Way by Arno Ilgner is another text of mine that I'm studying, basically in regards to focus and maintaining positive outlooks during all scenarios. It's why I've rededicated myself to the adventure, and not necessarily the summit.

I would also recommend Mary Hill's Geology of the Sierra Nevada. It's perhaps the most comprehensive and well-written book of the mountains I've read so far. Her writing is clear and at a layman level. Nothing like really knowing the rock you're standing on.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Bee #4281 05/14/10 06:40 AM
S
S
Good recommendation--I just bought Mary's book.

Also, a book I strongly recommend is "-148 Degrees", about Denali

steelfrog #4283 05/14/10 08:03 AM
I've actually gotten more into historical perspectives, bios, and autobios lately. Just finished Up and Down California by William Brewer, a Bradford Washburn bio, Woman on the Rocks about Ruth Dyer Mendenhall should be a must-read for your daughter (or Climbing Free by Lynn Hill, A Practice of Mountains by Andrea Mead Lawrence).

When you and your daughter are out here this summer, John, you'll have to stop by the Moose Lodge and check out my library. smile

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Bee #4284 05/14/10 08:12 AM
S
S
Sounds awesome! I think they way this planning is coming out we will have a few days at the end of our stay (August 12-15 or so) where I have unstructured time; I was planning on heading maybe to Yose and doing some stuff (North Dome, Conness, Dana, maybe) or, as we've talked about before, maybe to Evolution Basin or the Minerets or some such.

Link Copied to Clipboard