Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Time to Protect Yourself from Cancer
#4210 05/11/10 03:28 PM
OP Offline
It's that time of year again...."Hiking Time". I did this last year and hopefully I will be one of the fortunate people to conquer cancer for good, so I'm hoping to do this again next year.

As a 4 year survivor of melanoma (5 in October), and from learning more than I ever wanted to know about cancer, I am urging everyone on the trail to protect themselves. There are more than a few cancer survivors on this board and the other board, and from the e-mails I got last year, a few were melanoma.

If you think you're immune to melanoma, tell it to my friends daughter, Amanda Littlejohn. She is 20 years old and melanoma has visited her 3 times in the last 3 years, two times in her brain after the initial diagnosis on her arm and forehead. She has had the melanoma removed every time, through surgery and radiation and my thoughts are always with her. You can "Google" her name. Cancer is a community.....we are all one. And, I DON'T want you in my community. So please keep yourself protected from the Sun and from the reflection off the rocks and the reflections off the snow and water.

Things to help protect yourself from the Sun

* Sunscreen at least 30+ SPF - don't forget your ears, back of the neck and inside your ears
* Large brimmed Hat. A Sahara type that protects your neck is especially good
* Long Sleeve Shirt - many come with SPF protection
* Long Pants
* Sunglasses with UV protection
* Lightweight gloves
* Sunblock, such as Zinc Oxide for your nose and ears.

Apply sunscreen before you hike and at least once during your hike. An easy way to sunscreen if you don't like the mess is to use the small suncreen spray bottles.

I may have forgotten some, so if you can post more, then please do. I remember Richard P writing in last year about how he protects himself from the Sun. Clothing! After he dresses for his hike, he looks like Lawrence of Arabia!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: Time to Protect Yourself from Cancer
quillansculpture #4212 05/11/10 04:50 PM
S
S
Thanks for the timely reminder, Joe. In fact now it is most important due to all the snow on the trail. People get double the exposure with the snow reflections.

There is a section in the What can go wrong on Whitney link (in the feature topics box above and left) titled...

Sunshine

Hiked in shorts without sunscreen, sunburn can be very painful. As noted in Wear sunblock, cumulative exposure to sunshine without protection can lead to a number of skin problems, especially in the face area.

Lesson: Wear a wide-brimmed hat and cover up as much of your body as possible while hiking in daylight. Apply sunscreen to the remaining parts of your body, including your ears and around your nose. See Sunscreen Recommendations for more information.

From the "Hiked in shorts without sunscreen", pasadenarehearsal wrote:
An addition to my trip report, I didn't use any sunblock that day and was wearing shorts the whole time. Needless to say, I have a serious burn on my lower legs and am now laying with my swollen feet up, wrapped in bandages from knees to ankles and taking Vicodin for the pain. Feel free to let me know what an idiot I am!!!

quillansculpture #4213 05/11/10 05:19 PM
H
H
Quote:
* Sunblock, such as Zinc Oxide for your nose and ears.

Does anyone else ever get a metal taste in your mouth when using lip balm with Zinc Oxide?

hikehigh #4214 05/11/10 06:42 PM
Rod Offline
Thanks Joe for the reminder.
"Cancer is a community" That is a great line.
Cancer survivors Rock..... and climb and hike, most importantly LIVE.

quillansculpture #4217 05/11/10 06:52 PM
Excellent post Joe! The only thing I would add is that above 12,000 feet some people might want to think about kicking the SPF factor up to 50. The sun can be incredibly brutal at that elevation, especially reflecting off of granite or snow.

Last year I hiked 3 consecutive days prior to Whitney at 10K' to 12K' feet using SPF 30 with no problem. On Whitney Day I used the same sunscreen and found my arms scorched pretty badly by the time I got back down to Trail Camp around 2:00 in the afternoon. Worst sunburn I've had in years. Also, as Joe mentions, inside the ears and as much of your lower nose/nostrils as possible - both areas were burned pretty badly. I wear a safari-style, wide-brimmed hat while hiking, but I just didn't factor in the reflection power from the Sierra granite - it's like a damn mirror for UV!

Also, when choosing sunglasses for hiking at higher elevations, in addition to the UV protection it's really wise to buy the wrap-around style that are fully shielded on the sides - so no glare or reflected UV sneaks in. The Oakley and Wiley X military-issue sunglasses are great at this, but pricey. You can find similar styles at a third the price that do the same job.

Thanks for the reminder Joe!

hikehigh #4234 05/11/10 11:54 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: hikehigh
Does anyone else ever get a metal taste in your mouth when using lip balm with Zinc Oxide?

I've found some lib balm brands with SPF 15 give me a bad taste in the mouth. Not sure yet what brand is best.

Steve C #4240 05/12/10 08:03 AM
Rod Offline
I went for the cheapest pair of Glacier glasses with side covers REI sells for eye protection. Need UV protection all the way around the whole eye as Bulldog says. Have to protect that peripheral vision also.You can seriously damage your eyes at altitude and w or w/o snow the glare is intense.

Rod #4241 05/12/10 08:44 AM
Most important topic! Now that you got the gear, now you need protection!

I have 2 pairs of Julbos...Sherpa Glacier and Nomad Photochromic. Great glasses. Bit on the pricey end, but that was what my REI dividend purchased when I was a "single" man. The Sherpas tend to fog up once in a while, but spit does wonders provided you don't have any trail mix or peanut butter mixed with it.

For those strapped for cash: Buy your cheap UVA and UVB blocking sunglasses. Apply duct tape to both sides of both earpieces to prevent duct tape stiking to sideburns, facial hair or hair in general. May not look pretty, but they get the job done. You may want to trim to fit. You can use a magic marker to blacken.

Also, duct tape across the bridge of the nose works, too. I wrap duct tape around the base of the handles on my trekking poles. I change them every year. Old duct tape doesn' cooperate very well.

Lip balm: I apply sunscreen lotion to my lips (tastes awful but hey whatever works). I apply that SPF 30 lipbalm constantly.

Also, Buff Headwear works great to keep the sunlight off your ears and face if worn like a balaclava. Buff is a lightweight fabric. You can even rip and sew an old T-shirt to make your own "Buff."

Gloves: Cycling gloves with the fingers exposed for those "mild" days on the mountain. Pack those other gloves for extreme temperatures.

Arm and leg warmers: Cyclists know what I am talking about here. Easy on, easy off. Great for keeping the cold out and the skin protected. Lightweight.

Long-sleeved cycling jerseys: Lightweight and extra pockets in the back for extra storage. Also come with partial or full zipper. Wicking properties.

Have fun.

Journey well...
quillansculpture #12974 04/16/11 10:52 AM
OP Offline
Wanted to bump this as so many hikers are getting excited for hiking Mt Whitney this season. This season adds a new wrinkle for some of us....more snow, i.e. more stuff to reflect the rays of the Sun. If you didn't read the top, please take the time to do it. I'm a melanoma survivor as are several on both the Whitney sites.

Good luck and cover your bods!

quillansculpture #12980 04/16/11 02:01 PM
G
G
This is a GREAT topic. For years sunscreen was one of the essentials that I was constantly forgetting. The first time I went hiking around Mt. Baldy in the snow, I remembered my sunscreen, but I didn't remember to put anything on my lips. I got burned from both the top, and from underneath, so badly that my lips cracked and swelled to the point that I could barely talk for a couple of days. It was brutal.

Don't forget your sunscreen, and DON'T FORGET YOUR LIPS!

And congrats on kicking cancer to the curb, quillansculpture!

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
quillansculpture #12986 04/16/11 05:28 PM
Amen

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #13002 04/16/11 09:09 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Couple of points:

There are many lip balms on the market that do not have any SPF, check the label.

The SPF factor, if at least 30, matters little compared to the actual usage.

Most people don't know that all these lotions are absorbed by the skin quite rapidly, perhaps 80% in 20 minutes, so you have little protection. For that reason, it is recommended that you slather on another coating within about 30 min of the first. This gives you FAR better protection.

SPF factors are a funny scale, sort of like the Richter scale.

It relates to the Standard Deviation of the UV that is blocked. The easy number to remember is that SPF 15 blocks 93% (~2 SD) of UV. One would think that SPF 30 blocks twice the amount, BUT IT DOES NOT. It blocks ~3 SD, which translates into 97%, which is only a 2% increase in blockage, but it DOES contain double the chemicals, to which some people will react.
SPF 8, however, blocks only 1 SD, or ~60%.....which is 35% LESS protection, and that is a big difference!

So generally, authorities recommend nothing higher than SPF 30, but use it correctly, and it will do the job pretty well.

Here is a good reference:

http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/sunscreen.pdf

Last edited by Ken; 05/02/11 08:38 PM. Reason: reference
Ken #13518 05/02/11 08:51 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
I wanted to bump this, as a friend wrote me tonite that she had experienced a severe reaction to a high SPF product (110!), that produced an actual chemical burn of her face. This feels, and it treated exactly like a thermal burn, such as from hot oil.

Yikes! just from applying sunscreen!

No need to go higher than about SPF 30, you want UVA and UVB protection.

something like this:

http://www.bananaboat.com/products/14626.aspx?cat=3&curBrowseBy=Usage

Ken #13519 05/02/11 08:57 PM
G
G
Wow, I've never even heard of SPF 110!

I've used SPF 50 for years now, and I've pretty much got how often I have to apply it in different conditions down to a science. Doing a lot of growing up in the deserts of Blythe along the Colorado will do that for a glaringly white boy like myself I suppose...

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
Ken #13520 05/02/11 09:38 PM
S
S
I have been using Neutrogena sunblock for some years now. Try to put it on every time I get out to jog in the sun.

The two I like are "Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion, SPF 30", and "Neutrogena - Age Shield Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 70". The main reason for liking both of those is that I can put it on my face, and I have never experienced the burning eye problem if a trace gets into my eyes.

Some other sunblocks, including Neutrogena lotions, will sting the eyes like crazy!

Of the two I named above, the first one has lots of white titanium dioxide, and tends to make ones face look a little ghost-like. But it really works.

I recently discovered the second "Age Shield Face", and tried it because of the "Face" in the name. I figured it wouldn't hurt my eyes much. And I have used the whole container, with great results. Feels great after applying -- no greasy feel.

Regarding the number of applications: I find that a single application in the morning will prevent any burning even when I ski all day. On extra bright days, I might add a second application at lunch time.

Steve C #13528 05/03/11 06:21 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Kevin for the bump. I just found out on Sunday that my neighbors daughter has had her melanoma return for the fourth time, with four tumors in her brain. Not much to say after news like that, but any thoughts and prayers would be appreciated. Amanda has had melanoma come back every year since she was 19. She was the #1 hitter, with the most home runs on her college softball team and a great student. Lately she's been volunteering for her old high school team. She is handling the situation better than most. Melanoma is mostly caused by Sun exposure, though Amanda's was not. I do get pm's from members of both boards every once in a while asking for advice after someone they know has been diagnosed with melanoma, so it does occur in our small community. This is our second hit this week with cancer as another friends wife will be undergoing a double mastectomy on Friday for an aggressive form of breast cancer.
I'll be doing the marathon with my friends and thinking of both of these women often.
Thanks for reading.

quillansculpture #13535 05/03/11 07:18 AM
C
C
Serious stuff. My brother in law was having his routine annual physical when the Dr noticed a spot on his back. It was melanoma and was removed. Fortunately he has had no further incidents. Historically he has gone waterskiing lots without a shirt almost daily during the summers, so now he wears lots of sunscreen & definitely wears a shirt when out on the water skiing.

CMC2 #13540 05/03/11 08:57 AM
Rod Offline
A Chiropractor colleague of mine whose wife had stage 4 melanoma and entered a clinical trial. She is absolutely clear of all tumors using this newly FDA approved drug. It is an immune supportive drug. I copied and pasted a note from her about the drug. Anyone suffering from advanced stages of melanoma might ask their doctors if they can be placed on this newly approved drug.

Breaking News!!!! Ipilimumab, the drug that saved me, has just been FDA approved!!! I would like to think that I had something to do with it by being in the trial and surviving. This means that Kaiser will have access to the drug in the near future.
I am still going to see Dr. Curti, in Portland, as I trust him to make health decisions with us, but I can be treated at Kaiser now if it is ever necessary again.
On our Canada trip, I get to see Dr. Curti, along with my support buddy, Mark. I will keep you all posted during my trip with new pix and adventure stories.

Steve C #13542 05/03/11 09:32 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I have been using Neutrogena sunblock for some years now.

As one of the whitest white girls I know .. I burn very quickly and very badly (15 minutes of unprotected exposure starts to pink my skin and leaves me uncomfortable). My Momma (also a fair skinned maiden of rapid burning skin) introduced me to the Neutrogena line of products when we were getting ready to hike Whitney the first time a few years ago. It is now the only sunscreen that I'll use.

I enjoy to "hike nekked" as my Mom calls it (I hate having shirt sleeves on and very much dislike the feel of a collar against my neck, so tend to hike in low necked or v-cut tank tops). I reapply sunscreen every 2-3 hours while outdoors and, so long as I remain faithful to this regime, have yet to experience a sunburn. Be it in Death Valley, at elevation on Whitney, or at the beach...

SoCalGirl #13547 05/03/11 11:57 AM
T
T
The end of 2011 will be my 20th year of being cancer free. The aggressive chemotherapy regiment I was enduring left me exhausted and nausea when just taking a couple of steps.
Reading about high altitude trekking for my two treks this year, Mt. Whitney being the first, it seems like high altitude can have similar effect on folks. During my treks, maybe having already gone through something similar will be to my advantage. wink Ejecting a little humor here on a most important subject and that is prevention.

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard