Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt Whitney from Bubbs creek at Road's End?
#42364 04/29/15 06:41 PM
H
human Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi everyone, I'm visiting the sierras in August. I have a permit from Sequoia and Kings County Parks - for Bubbs creek and I'm going south to the high sierra trail then headed north to hook up with the JMT, then all the way to Simpson meadow trail back to road's end (sometimes referred to as the BIG SEKI Loop).

My question is do I need a permit to go up Mount Whitney if I do a side trip from the JMT? I wanted to camp at guitar lake and then next morning go up mount Whitney and head back to guitar lake to continue north on the JMT. Does this require another permit? I now coming up Whitney portal requires a day permit and exiting or overnighting on the Whitney portal trail requires one but does what I'm proposing require some sort of Whitney permit?.

Thanks.

Last edited by human; 04/29/15 06:42 PM.
Re: Mt Whitney from Bubbs creek at Road's End?
human #42366 04/29/15 09:55 PM
S
S
Welcome, human! wink

That's quite a big loop you plan! It will give you a full complement of the Sierra experience.

The permit you have already is all you need. You could even exit the Whitney Trail with it for a resupply (though it's a bear climbing back up to the crest with a full pack). That Trail Crest Exit Permit is only required by Inyo rangers if you start on the east side on any Inyo N.F. trail head.

The crest of Whitney where you would be hiking is all in Sequoia National park, anyway, and is administered by the Sequoia rangers, not Inyo.

Steve C #42369 04/30/15 03:33 AM
H
human Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks Steve! I'm not sure how realistic this is since it would probably add two days to the hike but it's nice to know the option is there.

human #42371 04/30/15 08:36 AM
S
S
I wasn't suggesting you do a resupply there, just saying that your permit allowed it.

I am curious about your trip plans -- number of days, where you might be camping.

Steve C #42375 04/30/15 04:21 PM
H
human Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Oh no, I meant I'm not sure if it's realistic to add guitar lake and mount Whitney to the loop I'm hoping to do.

Someone on backpacking light posted some great info a few years back:

BIG SEKI LOOP

154 miles total, adding mount Whitney is probably ridiculous really. I'm hoping to do this in 9-10 days adding Whitney would be 11-12 total so it would take a lot of food. I may just try Whitney as a walk on reservation a couple of days later.

Thanks again for the info.

human #42378 04/30/15 11:22 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: human
Oh no, I meant I'm not sure if it's realistic to add guitar lake and mount Whitney to the loop I'm hoping to do.

Someone on backpacking light posted some great info a few years back:

BIG SEKI LOOP

154 miles total, adding mount Whitney is probably ridiculous really. I'm hoping to do this in 9-10 days adding Whitney would be 11-12 total so it would take a lot of food. I may just try Whitney as a walk on reservation a couple of days later.

Thanks again for the info.

Whoa!!!! THAT is one big loop!!! Note that, reading the thread, nobody even mentioned wanting to do it. Eight major passes and valleys to cover -- I think it has more gain and loss than the entire JMT.

Here is a trip report on a part of that loop -- the northern loop.
TR: Tehipite from Roads End - Oct. 22nd-27th 2014 That guy hiked like an animal for 7 days, only did a side trip down the middle-fork Kings River that burned a day. Note he started with a 25 lb pack, and his gal partner started with 12! Maximum ultralight.

Nice thing about that loop, though, is that you can bail out and cut the loop short at several points.

Steve C #42382 05/01/15 09:43 AM
P
P
I second Steve's comment, and add a, "Yikes."

I've done most of the trail listed over my 50 years of hiking and there are several days that I would reconsider the distance. For example the first day....the climb to Avalanche Pass is a long haul, and steep climbing out of Bubbs creek. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The second day, Elizabeth Pass...again long day.....

Anyway, if you accomplish this hike, take plenty of notes and pictures and please share.

Paul

Paul #42388 05/01/15 05:56 PM
H
human Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yeah the problem is not much elevation where I live. I rely on lots of running or dayhikes with 65 pounds for training. The running really helps for cardio and heavy packs help get the legs into shape. Elevation may be a problem though.

edit: just to add I bet I'll cut the loop in half and just turn the trip into a road trip.

Last edited by human; 05/01/15 06:09 PM.
human #42393 05/01/15 09:59 PM
S
S
The tough part of those big passes is carrying 1/3 to 1/2 of that 65 pound pack all day long climbing for so long. Climbing at altitude with that weight really slows you down.

If you want to do a classic hike, do the High Sierra Trail out of Crescent Meadow in Sequoia N.P., then maybe resupply at Whitney Portal, and return via the JMT and Bubbs Cr. to Roads End. I think you would need to hitch hike part way back to your car, but Roads End is a heavily used area, so hitching should be easy.

If you want to road-trip all over Calif, we can give you favorite places to see.

human #42516 05/15/15 11:13 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
In 2009 I went from Roads End up Woods Creek to the JMT and then north to the Middle Fork and into Simpson Meadow. Headed up over Granite Pass and Saddle and dropped back to the car at Roads End. It was supposed to be a quick 48 hour adventure but I got sick, my partner mysteriously bailed while I was handling some business and I ended up staying an extra night and dragging myself out 12 hours late, for a total of 60 hours. I've done Whitney from Roads End twice, once up Bubbs Creek and over Forester Pass and once over Avalanche and Colby Passes. We also went to Whitney from Mineral King once. All under 48 hours. I've been section hiking the PCT 25-40 miles at a stretch to get back in shape, but nothing with the amount of gain as back in the "old days".

Last edited by DUG; 05/15/15 11:17 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard