Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mt. Whitney questions (first time)
#42459 05/12/15 02:32 PM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello!

I've just joined and have a few questions about Mt. Whitney. Previous posts have been so helpful. I am going with a friend at the end of July on a weekday (overnight trip)and it will be our first time. I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some advice on:
- We want to rent a bear canister at the portal store: are there usually enough to rent to hikers where we can count on one being available for us? And would both my friend and I each need one, or would we share one?
- Is a down or synthetic sleeping bag better for July? We have most of our gear but not this or the tent yet.
- Is it better to share a tent if it is just two of us, or better to each have our own 1-person tents?
- and lastly, we were thinking of not bringing a stove and to only eat foods we wont have to cook or use boiling water for - any thoughts on if this is or isn't a good idea?

Any help/advice is appreciated - thank you!

Re: Mt. Whitney questions (first time)
Stacy H #42460 05/12/15 03:35 PM
S
S
Welcome Stacy!

You can get a bear canister at the Visitor Center in Lone Pine where you pick up the permit, or at the Portal Store. One should be fine for two people on an overnight trip. Share one, and split the weight. Maybe the other person carry a 2-person tent.

Down or synthetic? Down is lighter and more expensive, must be kept dry. Synthetic keeps more heat in than down if the bag gets damp.

Share the tent, share the weight.

Stoveless works. Some ideas for food: Granola bars, granola cereal, trail mix/nuts, etc. Tortillas and peanut butter (bread gets mashed down). Bagels.

Be sure to read through the Orientation Notes (link is above and left). Think about acclimating at least one night at altitude before you start your hike.

Steve C #42468 05/13/15 09:32 AM
T
T
I had the same questions whether a bear canister would be available. I am thinking of just buying one as I heard the ones they have for rent are large. Since you are two of you it should be good I think but for me as a solo I don't think I need to carry something so big.

I would just bring a stove, they weigh hardly anything and a small gas canister does not weigh much either, in addition I am not carrying all this further than Trail camp anyway. But then again I have to have my morning hot coffee LOL!

Last edited by trident777; 05/13/15 09:32 AM.
Steve C #42469 05/13/15 02:20 PM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello Steve!

Thank you so much for responding and for your advice. I think I will go ahead then and rent the canister when I pick up my permit instead of getting one, and we will share. And I will make sure we share a tent then as well, I would much rather share the weight, as you said! And thank you for the food suggestions as well - I didn't think of tortillas and will definitely bring some. As trident777 mentioned, the only reason I'd also want a stove is for coffee, but I think we might go without it I'm not sure yet.

Thank you again for your help and advice, I do appreciate it!

trident777 #42470 05/13/15 02:31 PM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello trident777,

Thank you also for your response. After you mentioned coffee I am not so sure if I want to go stove-less now...I do love my morning coffee too! And you're right they do not weigh too much - I will have to talk this one over again. I appreciate the advice, thank you!

Stacy H #42474 05/13/15 09:39 PM
S
S
Stacy, if you're just making coffee... The Starbucks instant packets are good. I like to mix it with the Maxwell House International Cafe instant. Having some now as I write this...

When I am backpacking, I'd never take a canister stove. Sure the stove itself is light, but that canister! This beats those every time:

Here's a stove thread: Alcohol stoves     ...now $14.50 on Amazon

Here's another picture of it in use, with my homemade aluminum foil wind screen (several layers). The 600 ml Snow Peak titanium cup (NOT insulated) makes the perfect drinking cup and cook pot for solo hiking.

Stacy H #42475 05/13/15 10:05 PM
A
A
We will be going at the end of July on a weekday as well, perhaps we'll see you. It's our first time too!

Steve C #42476 05/14/15 08:42 AM
J
Joe Offline
J
Hi Steve,
My wife and I are doing Whitney in late August. We have everything we need but the bear canister. I know you can rent them there but was wondering how large are they. I'm a bit concerned about weight and, carrying the heavier items, want to keep my backpack under 35 pounds if possible.
Thanks.

Joe #42478 05/14/15 09:25 AM
S
S
Joe, Bear canisters are indeed heavy. You can search the web for the term to see the various ones available. I think the Portal Store and the Visitor Center have the black "Garcia" brands, but I could be wrong.

If you want to go the lightest possible, look up the Ursack S29 AllWhite. That's what I have, with the aluminum liner. Lighter than the others. You don't need the aluminum liner for the Whitney trail, since it isn't bears that you are keeping from your food, but mice and marmots.

Yosemite N.P. hasn't updated their approved canister list since Ursack came out with the S29, but I wouldn't hesitate using it there. You need to learn how to tie it properly. I also attach a bear bell to mine so I would wake up if something were messing with it.

Steve C #42480 05/14/15 10:54 AM
G
G
Are Bear canisters required for a day hike? My backpack would be kept close by, more worried the marmots will run off with it.

Steve C #42483 05/14/15 03:34 PM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello Steve,

Thank you for the pictures and link to the stove - I looked into the Esbit folding titanium stove you sent in the link and after looking at it a bit more, I ordered it on my lunch break, so thank you! And the picture with your wind screen is helpful as well - I will do the same.
Thank you again, much appreciated.

Stacy H #42484 05/14/15 04:20 PM
S
S
Golden: Bear can is not required at all on a day hike. Marmots will not run off with a pack -- they just chew holes it them. smile   But... if you start early in the morning when it's dark, do NOT set your pack down anywhere and walk away from it. Bears lurk in the dark, and when a pack is set down, they will sneak in, grab it and run! This occurs in the campground and parking lot areas at the Portal.

Stacy: I think you will be happy with the stove. Be sure to get a good lighter. The tablets take a little time to light. Now be sure to get the right-sized pot or cup. Cups smaller than the 600 ml don't fit on the stove. One last thing: When the tablets burn, they leave a brown residue on the bottom of the cup or pot. It comes off easily with plain water and rubbing a little.

Stacy H #42502 05/15/15 06:52 AM
B
B
Stacey,

For an overnight trip going stove-less will work, unless you want the comfort of hot drinks in the morning. If you bring a stove, use one that you have experience using, so that you don't end up frustrated trying to use one that is new to you (like an alcohol stove).

Down or synthetic sleeping bags? Either. Down is lighter.

Bring a bear canister that is large enough for all your food, including any items that smell nice and attractive to bears; like cosmetics.

Share the tent.

Bring insect repellant! In July you will probably encounter mosquitos. Others might claim you won't need it, but better be safe than sorry.

Sunscreen and sun hat - mandatory.

Check the weather forecast and bring rain gear if the forecast indicates the chance of rain.

Other than all that, bring energy!

Bob West #42508 05/15/15 10:14 AM
S
S
One more thing: If you are going in for just one night, the canister only needs to hold the next day's food. All the meals and snacks consumed the first day and evening don't need to be inside.

Steve C #42523 05/16/15 10:56 PM
T
T
Is the tablet stove that much lighter than the regular stove? My canister stove weighs nothing and the canister does not seem to weigh much at all. What is the benefit of using the tablet fuel?

Last edited by trident777; 05/16/15 10:56 PM.
trident777 #42526 05/17/15 12:50 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: trident777
Is the tablet stove that much lighter than the regular stove? My canister stove weighs nothing and the canister does not seem to weigh much at all. What is the benefit of using the tablet fuel?
Various places on the web say a fuel canister weighs 4 oz and holds 8 oz of fuel, and lasts 10 days. I think you can find smaller canisters (4 oz?), but what I read shows they weigh 8 oz total.

The pocket rocket stoves weigh about 3 oz. So with the smallest canister and stove, you are carrying 11 ounces. The Titanium Wing stove and two fuel tablets weighs under 2 ounces.

Along with that, the canister stove takes up more space, so you might need a bigger pack, adding more weight.

The difference is not much to many people, but for ultralight fanatics, the difference is important.

Steve C #42527 05/17/15 09:06 AM
T
T
cool, this is something I think I should try out... I found another model which seems to have the little more wind protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzzcmvBXmkA

trident777 #42528 05/17/15 11:49 AM
S
S
Good video. I tried mine with my 600 ml Snow Peak cup, and it brings 8 oz water to a boil in about 4 minutes. I tried various wind screen tests, and found that it burns best with no wind screen. Of course this was in my garage. Full/new tablets heat faster than already used ~half tablets.

In a breezy field situation, Some sort of wind screen might be required. I got nearly same heating rate with a full height wind screen -- to the top of the cup, but with an open slot for the cup's handle, where air could flow in to the burning tablet.

That pocket model from REI, here's the image -- comments below.

It is more sturdy. In a breezy situation, an additional aluminum foil wind screen might help. This stove weighs in at over 3 ounces, so is substantially heavier than the wing stove. But then no fuel canister knocks off that excess weight. Nice thing about tablets is that you can carry only the amount you need. With a canister, you also have the extra weight of the full amount of fuel.

Stacy H #42532 05/17/15 02:24 PM
W
W
Everyone has there own way of doing things and likes and dislikes. There are no firm answers here only opinions.

Canisters...If the WPS/Hostel doesn't have one the FS will. My guess is Elevations rent'm, too.

Overnight...One should suffice, unless you bringing half of Albertsons with your.

Bag...Down is best, warmer and lighter is a good combination.

Tents...I don't do tents with anyone other than wifey. Bring industrial strength ear plugs.

Food...If it doesn't taste great at sea level, it is going to be horrible at 12,000'. Bring good food, period. I prefer hot food at breakfast and at night. That's me.

Bob West #42533 05/17/15 09:08 PM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello Bob,
Ok, that is all good for me to know. I almost forgot about bug spray so I will make sure to bring some (and energy!) I appreciate the advice! thank you.

And Steve,
I just got the Snow Peak 600ml too and will be trying it out on the stove for a small trip next weekend. Thank you again!

Last edited by Stacy H; 05/17/15 09:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard