Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mt. Whitney questions (first time)
wbtravis #42534 05/17/15 09:18 PM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello wbtravis,

Thank you - I have earplugs but I'm pretty sure they aren't industrial strength so I will look into that. Would you recommend a particular brand? And I think after hearing from you and the others I will definitely be sharing a tent with my friend then. Thank you for the advice!

Stacy H #42536 05/18/15 12:04 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Stacy H
Hello wbtravis,

Thank you - I have earplugs but I'm pretty sure they aren't industrial strength so I will look into that. Would you recommend a particular brand? And I think after hearing from you and the others I will definitely be sharing a tent with my friend then. Thank you for the advice!

Stacy, wbt was just stressing that you need "good" earplugs. They don't come in "industrial strength".

I bought some a few years ago that I really like, and take them along on trips if I'm going to camp near a noisy stream/waterfall, etc. Here's a link to a company that makes good ones (my favorite are the "Fusion Small") Howard Leight Earplugs. You can find the exact model on Ebay if you search for "FUS30S EAR PLUG" for small, or "FUS30 EAR PLUG" for regular size.

Steve C #42543 05/18/15 10:16 AM
S
Stacy H Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello Steve,

Oh that is what it is, I see, okay thank you for telling me this - I will look to the ones that you've recommended. thank you again!

Steve C #42546 05/18/15 12:11 PM
J
Joe Offline
J
Steve, thanks so much for the info. Light is definitely better for just an overnight hike so I'll follow your suggestion.
Can't wait to do this hike. Did Half Dome last year but there's something about being on top of the highest peak in the lower 48 that makes this one extra special. Thanks again!

Stacy H #42549 05/18/15 01:19 PM
B
B
I use MACK'S soft silicone putty ear plugs to block the noise of my hiking partners' snoring. They work great. You can find them at pharmacies or stores like K-Mark.

I've tried more expensive ear plugs, but MACK's are cheap and more effective.

Last edited by Bob West; 05/18/15 01:20 PM.
Steve C #42579 05/20/15 09:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
They don't come in "industrial strength".

Actually, I used to work for United Airlines and the mechanics who didn't need the big headphone type noise suppressors used smaller ear plugs that were 'industrial strength' to protect their hearing.

Those are definitely more noise cancelling than the earplugs you get at a drug store. smile

But, yeah, probably overkill for keeping snores from someone sharing your tent from disturbing your sleep. smile

Stacy H #42622 05/21/15 07:50 PM
F
F
Greetings!

I'm currently in final prep stages for my first trip to Whitney next weekend (May 29th-June 1) and will be going solo. I'm pretty well prepared in terms of gear and physical conditioning. That being said my questions and concern for the most part revolve around route selection after trail camp - from my research it appears, aside from the physical exertion, everything prior is pretty straight forward and well worn.

I've seen some posts which indicate that the switchbacks can be closed at times due to excessive snowfall or ice and as such hikers are forced to take the chute.

1. Is that a correct statement?
2. How will I know if the switchbacks are in fact closed or risky?
3. To be honest i'd prefer the wider, albeit steep, chute over the more precarious switchbacks if possible - where do i make that decision on the route?
4. Do people typically carry their full pack up from trail camp or do they leave it for a quicker ascension?
5. If so is it safe? I mean not only from other people raiding your gear, but from marmots and other wildlife?

Thank you in advance for the information. I'm a little bummed i'm going solo, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Frankie Bones #42629 05/21/15 11:39 PM
S
S
1. The switchbacks are never "closed", but if there is too much snow, it becomes easier to head straight up the "chute", which is not so much a chute, but actually the wide slope just west of the switchbacks.

2. You can start up the switchbacks, and if you are fighting too much snow, just leave them and head west and then up. Or talk to others coming down and ask what they did and what they might recommend.

3. Start from Trail Camp, follow tracks in the snow.

4. Leave everything you don't need in Trail Camp. That's what everyone else will be doing.

5. Safe from people. Marmots: All food must be either stored in a bear can or taken on your hike to the summit.

Have fun! You won't be alone, so talk to others you meet. And remember, the mountain will always be there. Your most important goal is to get back home safely.

Steve C #42635 05/22/15 11:47 AM
F
F
Thanks so much for the insights. I'm really looking forward to my trip and while I have 4 days to play i'm hoping to summit in 1 or two and then just camp out at Lone Pine Lake for a day to fish and take in the peace and quiet.

Thanks again.

Frankie Bones #42636 05/22/15 11:56 AM
S
S
You would do best to camp at Lone Pine Lake (your entry permit allows you to do that) for two nights to acclimate. Or spend the first night there and most of the next day, then move up to Outpost Camp for an overnight, then get up the next morning and day hike to the summit. The more time you spend at 8-11k elevation, the better you will feel when you hike to 14.5k.

Steve C #42637 05/22/15 12:13 PM
F
F
I agree and certainly will pay close attention to my physical condition. I've been utilizing an oxygen deprivation mask which simulates elevation up to 15k' and am comfortable with 15 mile elevation hikes, but nothing at the scale of Whitney.

I have to say though i wouldn't feel badly if I spend extra time at LP. I just dont want to miss an opportunity to summit should the weather turn.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard