Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another Sad Story, this Time a Mystery
#42731 05/28/15 06:16 PM
OP Offline
On Monday, Inyo Sheriffs Office recovered the body of an unidentified hiker from from Shepherd Pass. No one has been reported missing in the area.

Story Here

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Re: Another Sad Story, this Time a Mystery
saltydog #42744 05/29/15 09:40 AM
Yes, it is that time of year. Hopefully the only one we'll hear about this season, but somehow I doubt it. At least this one doesn't appear to be a fall. Not any info on how he was geared up, which I thought was strange.

Bulldog34 #42748 05/29/15 11:39 AM
S
S
I am sure there is more to this story, and I hope more info is published. I wonder if there is a missing persons report out to match the individual.

I also wonder what hikers found the site. Goldscott on this forum was up there, and mentioned other hikers. But he certainly didn't mention this discovery.

Steve C #42756 05/29/15 01:43 PM
When I was hiking up or setting up camp, one other hiker there mentioned there may be a dead body in the area, but that's all the info they had.

I'd like to learn more about this tragedy.

Steve C #42765 05/29/15 10:30 PM
OP Offline
There have been reports of a number of PCT NoBos bailing over Shepherd due to conditions on Forester. Seems likely that this could be one of those. Or perhaps a recent Lone Pine resup skipping the WZ and going back in over Shep. In either case might not be considered missing for quite a while, until overdue at some point who knows how far north.

SPOTMe!
Bulldog34 #42766 05/29/15 10:35 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Yes, it is that time of year. Hopefully the only one we'll hear about this season, but somehow I doubt it. At least this one doesn't appear to be a fall. Not any info on how he was geared up, which I thought was strange.

My guess would be there was ID on the body, so no need to put out a description, in fact good reason not to: not releasing any identifying info pending notification of next of kin. I heard from someone close to the Matthew Greene investigation that it is definitely not him, which also suggests they have an ID.

Last edited by saltydog; 05/29/15 10:37 PM.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #42768 05/30/15 10:25 AM
B
B
The Inyo County coroner described the body of a person who died "several months ago". Cause of death to be determined, and name released after next-of-kin have been notified.

Bob West #42779 05/31/15 06:56 AM
S
S
At least the body was Located. Some will never will be found . Always leave a DETAILED note/ record of your itinerary / Trip Path from start to end . Include possible side trips or personal interests . A reminder on LITE WEIGHT PACKING .....Snow and Wicked Hail Rain Storms that come in Quick and on their Own have occurred in the sierra ALL the TIME over the years , Particularly at the 12,000 and 13,000 foot crest for the Main Passs. The storm gets COMPRESSED and DROPS down into the Inyo Valley . We in SAR have RECOVERED many BODIES with minimal gear and no tents , resulting from these precise conditions. Hypothermia and Altitude Sickness can Immediately Follow and Take a Person in Minimal Gear . Add a long trip and some fatigue , a bad trip and fall .....Then NO SHOW . Sometimes we would get to folks JUST in Time, as the Note of their trip was accurate and Given to a RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL . A day late and we would have a FROZEN CORPSE . BE SAFE , and remember to " CHOSE WISELY " as far as trip, Tent, Bag,stove,foul weather gear, cloths,Gloves, warm hat,and Boots / Socks . Carry a personal GPS locator. SPOT is GREAT and economical . Have the Ability to make a Signal Fire and or a MIRROR / DVD to reflect the sun to attract Rescue Personnel . Whistle and air Horn are good as well ,Some bring a small road Flare .A cell phone will light up the nite and be a small beacon . What ever the case , Hike with a partner and Improve your Chances in case of Emergency . Pack and repack your load and MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOU and YOUR TRIP . Take Care and Be Safe Out There in the WILD . For your Mom and Family's Sake . And make our JOB to find YOU that much BETTER. God Bless All Backcountry Travelers ! gst

Sierra Angler #42780 05/31/15 07:25 AM
B
B
Amen to all that. Even on a day hike, a person needs to carry whatever they might need to get through a night or two alone and injured or lost. What to carry?

My personal day-pack has: fleece jacket, gloves and cap, tights, rain jacket, emergency bivvy sack, first-aid kit, SPOT, cell-phone, whistle, lunch, energy bars, survival knife and flint (for starting emergency fires), and compass and map. Total weight is about 10 - 12 pounds. Too much to carry? No, and it helps keep me in shape for over-night loads.

Too many people hike Whitney unprepared. Hiking Whitney or elsewhere in the Sierras in running shorts and tee-shirt is a strong argument for Darwin being right. Don't be stupid...or a statistic.

As Sierra Angler said, we on SAR have recovered bodies of those who were not prepared. This is not a scare tactic, but stark reality.

Bob West #42781 05/31/15 08:40 AM
OP Offline
SA and BW: that's all solid advice. Not clear, however, which of it applies to the body in question. Maybe Bob can tell us without disclosing anything not yet available for public release?

SPOTMe!
Bob West #42782 05/31/15 08:52 AM
Here's a link to a form that gives SAR some vital info should you need their assistance. It just takes a minute to fill out for someone at home to use if you're a no-show. In my experience, the process of filling it out and setting a call time focuses the mind on personal safety during packing.

This should not turn into a bash on ultra-lighter gear. There's a big difference between going with the lightest option available (and knowing how to use it) vs going without gear. Ultralight gear is gear. Nothing is nothing.

Bob West #42784 05/31/15 09:00 AM
W
W
A second amen.

My pack yesterday...fleece jacket, vest, wool hat, first aid kit, cellphone (in airplane mode or off), GPS, camera, repair kit, toilet kit, compass, a couple of methods of fire starter extra food and maps of the general area...real 7.5' quads. This load is a few pounds heavier than Bob's...with the 3 L of liquids.

I go out with the knowledge of the overnight low temperature for the highest elevation I am going to and the forecast for the next few days. I also know where the water sources are and their current condition.

Last weekend, four groups totaling 14 people were lost in the Mt. Baldy area causing SAR call outs. All these folks were trailwalkers who lost the trail and continued deeper into the abyss, not recognizing they were no longer on the trail. Many were without the product clothing for night time temperatures. This is not unusual.

SierraNevada #42792 05/31/15 05:19 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
Here's a link to a form that gives SAR some vital info should you need their assistance.

That form was developed as a result of the unfortunate Larry Conn situation. He had the habit of hiking out on his own, and even posted that he often changed course mid-trip on a whim. So his leaving a detailed itinerary would not help many times. His remains were recovered after weeks of searching in vain, and then an entire winter.

This past month, I was talking to someone whose adult child was leaving on a big trip through the Sierra. They had a number of iPhone map shots of planned campsites along the trip. The hiker vehemently refused to carry a SPOT.

It turns out that the late May snows caused the hiker to change course mid-trip; completely switching over to a different pass and other trails. Hiker reported being really happy for the ice axe, using it many times, and attributing it to life-saving level on several occasions.

I cannot understand how people can take off on solo trips like that, yet refuse to carry or use a SPOT or similar tracking device.

saltydog #43008 06/08/15 03:58 PM
B
B

Bob West #43011 06/08/15 05:42 PM
OP Offline
Now all that's missing is what, where, when, how and why.

SPOTMe!
Bob West #43295 06/24/15 12:56 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: Bob West

It is interesting that the victim hails from Colorado City, AZ. A very small town on the border with Utah that is notorious for its large population of polygamists. I know it well as my ancestors were among the first settlers in that area. I do not think there are many residents who are not involved in plural marriage, outside the law enforcement and justice of the peace stationed there by Mohave County.

Last edited by RainsLee; 06/24/15 12:56 PM.
RainsLee #43297 06/24/15 02:14 PM
S
S
When he was first identified, I googled his name, and found a foul comment aimed at a polygamist group. Makes me think maybe he's one of the many "lost boys" -- the young men expelled from the community to keep the male - female ratio out of balance.

Steve C #43298 06/24/15 02:33 PM
R
R
That sounds very plausible. I've known a fair few of those guys myself, in and around St George and Hurricane. Women are the most sympathized-with victims of the cult in Colorado City/Hilldale, but lots of men suffer the consequences too. Cut off from their own families and their upbringing without much of a safety net to catch them if they make bad choices — which are hard to avoid under the circumstances.

Link Copied to Clipboard