Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
Re: Jessica
CaT #3758 04/26/10 01:55 PM
No back water town either.

Mike
CaT #3759 04/26/10 03:22 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: CaT
Just noticed on the map of eastern Australia that's there's a town/city not far west of Canberra that's named -- are you ready for this? ... Wagga Wagga!

CaT

Now... try to guess where wagga hails from. wink

Steve C #3761 04/26/10 04:57 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
This is from a Column 8 thread in the Sydney Morning Herald...

April 15, 2010
Patrick St George, of Narrandera, notes the existence of Wagga Wagga, Woop Woop and Woy Woy, and asks: ''Why is it that it sounds OK to say that you are going to Wagga, but you would never say you are going to Woop or Woy?''

April 16, 2010
We have to hand a theory regarding the Wagga, Woy and Woop question of yesterday, courtesy of Christopher Woods, of Mount Victoria: ''It's long been apparent (to me, anyway) that a place with a double name, where each name is a double syllable, is usually shortened to just one, eg, Wagga, Kurri, Tilba. A place where each name is only one syllable isn't, eg, Woy, Bong, Curl etc. I counted 54 in an old postcode book, 28 doubles and 26 singles. I haven't been to all of them, so this theory is yet to be fully tested. Are there readers in Wool Wool and Banka Banka who can confirm this?''

April 19, 2010
''Christopher Woods's theory on double-syllable, double-worded place names seems sound, until you get to Goonoo Goonoo,'' opines Kevin Lamond, of Windsor (Column 8, Friday). ''The pronunciation I've heard used most often is Goona Ganoo, so saying the first without the second not only doesn't work, it also spoils the wonderful rhythm of the words.''

April 20, 2010
''Your Monday item from Kevin Lamond offers an incorrect pronunciation of Goonoo Goonoo,'' we are informed by Neil Ronald, of Newtown. ''The locals call it 'Gunna Gunoo', or just Gunna, as in, 'I'm gunna pronounce it any way I like'.''

April 21, 2010
The pronunciation of Goonoo Goonoo is not, as claimed by Neil Ronald yesterday, ''Gunna Gunoo'', but ''Gunny Gunoo''. We have had shearers and stockmen and publicans from all over the state swearing that this is the case, and we're not going to argue with them.

Walla Walla, Washington: The exception that proves the rule?

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #3762 04/26/10 05:10 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
This from Column 8, in Steve C's honour. Or perhaps it's a goal-setting thing.

We did it! We've found the 18th-century grandad. Well, we didn't do much, but the ancestors of Theo Boehm certainly did. Over to Theo: ''My grandfather, Johann Georg Boehm, was born in Muschten in the province of Brandenburg , Prussia, on February 29, 1796. In 1838 with a wife and six children he migrated to Australia in a ship called the Zebra, settling in South Australia. When his wife died, he remarried and had a further six children, the youngest of whom was my father, born in 1896 (an original Anzac at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915). I was born in 1922 and am now not only a grand-, but a great-grandfather. I trust that this meets the object of your search.'' Meets the object of our search? Not half it doesn't - this is heroic stuff! Especially fathering a child at that age!

wagga #3764 04/26/10 05:51 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
You may have noticed that Jessica mentioned ANZAC day.

I'm perhaps the only Oz on this board, so here's an explanation.

ANZAC is an acronym for Australian New Zealand Army Corps.

On April 25, 1915, they were tasked with landing at Gallipoli.

This was a cynical move by the British to divert attention from a Pommy attack on another site.

So the military failure, unlike any other nation pair, has become the most significant national celebration.

There are no more Gallipoli veterans, and a very few WWII veterans. My Dad (RAN) passed away several years ago.

If you scroll down a page or two, on the left-hand side there is a pic of the ANZAC parade in Wagga.

"One of the traditions of Anzac Day is the 'gunfire breakfast' (coffee with rum added) which occurs shortly after many dawn ceremonies, and recalls the 'breakfast' taken by many soldiers before facing battle."

There is a huge groundswell of participation by the younger generation of Australians & New Zealanders - this is widely recognized as a generational statement of the futility of war.

Oh, yeah, they play 2-up, footy & get drunk.

wagga #3765 04/26/10 06:06 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
This just in from Abby.

Sounds like the auto-pilot is like Windows - just reboot when it breaks.

I've offered to send a hairbrush with a hole drilled in the handle so that it can be tethered. She really should get a kitty. On second thoughts, they have really big kitties in Africa India.

"It looks like a few people think that I am ending my trip in Cape Town. Just in case I didn't make it clear enough in the last blog, I am not ending my trip!!! I am ending my non-stop and unassisted attempt. I will continue on to hopefully become the youngest solo circumnavigator. Jesse Watson will become the youngest solo, non-stop and unassisted circumnavigator. The way I see it is that we both win which is great because neither of us liked being in 'competition' with each other. Go Jesse!"

wagga #3769 04/26/10 07:57 PM
Off topic guys.

Mike
Mike Condron #3770 04/26/10 08:23 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Those posts were pretty much on-topic. This, however is off-topic.

wagga #3778 04/26/10 10:37 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
I can't help but think.......her record was, it turned out, totally dependent upon an electronic device. It was backed up, but both failed, one almost immediately, the other gradually. In her blog, she talks about how "foolish and irresponsible" to hand steer the boat.

Actually, that is how it was originally done.

It shows, I suppose, how "dumbed down" the whole thing has become. It hardly seems like any of the original elements remain, from communications, to weather forecasts, to navigation.

Somehow, the whole thing saddens me.

Ken #3785 04/26/10 11:23 PM
S
S
> It shows, I suppose, how "dumbed down" the whole thing has become. It hardly seems like any of the original elements remain, from communications, to weather forecasts, to navigation.

On the other hand, she'd never have come through alive without all that hi-tech gear and support! She's just the first to put it all together and go do it. In ten or twenty years, her feat will be small compared to whatever is new at that time.

It's pretty funny to read a paragraph from wagga's link:
I was on the phone with several of the guys on my team and we decided to try one last thing. I restarted the system, which is almost impossible when it's rough out - you have to put the tiller first to starboard, set that limit, then to port and then center it. The tough part is that to do this, you have to set it on the auto pilot display which is down below at my chart desk. By the time you've gotten down below the tiller is pretty much never in the right place. I have strings tied to the tiller and running around the poles on my dodger through the two little windows right down to my chart desk. I remember the first few times I had tried to restart the pilot without the strings set up, running back and forth millions of times and never getting it quite right. Anyway, this time after I did the restart and got things set up it worked!

Here she is, out in the middle of nowhere, but able to communicate with an entire crew of helping hands. Amazing! Sure it's high tech. But it's fun to read along as it unfolds.

wagga #3798 04/27/10 07:43 AM
CaT Offline
Quote:
You may have noticed that Jessica mentioned ANZAC day.

Yup, I noticed it, and immediately Googled it, and ended up reading pretty much the entire Wiki article on it.

So OK, wagga ... are you originally from Australia? Didn't know that, if you are.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #3805 04/27/10 08:54 AM
S
S
> So OK, wagga ... are you originally from Australia?

Dude's been here for 30 years or so, but he refuses to ditch the accent from Oz.

Steve C #3830 04/27/10 02:25 PM
CaT Offline
Oz?

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #3834 04/27/10 03:03 PM
S
S
Oz, as in Oztralia. smile

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Etymology

Pronounced [əˈstɹ

Steve C #3846 04/28/10 06:09 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Some fresh new Abbica news...

Stalling and Over again

Jessica was tipped again, a bottle of detergent broke open so the cabin (and computer) is really clean.

"I was sorry to hear about Abby having to pull in to Cape Town for repairs. But like Abby said so well in her blog the other day, in one way it's great that we're now aiming for slightly different records, so that we don't have to be competing with each other. I'm also totally jealous that she's probably going to beat me to a hot shower!"

Jessica is hanging around (in the washing machine!) until the weather will be better for sailing around under Tasmania.

A mention in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Nice and Sunny.

Followers have been sending nasty email to her auto-pilot's manufacturer.

"I have to just ask that people please not send nasty emails to Coursemaster. They have received a few very rude emails and I just would like to make it clear that Coursemaster has been extremely helpfull"

I noticed this:

Day 94 (4/26/2010) - About 1,486 miles Southwest of Cape Town, South Africa

Day 95 (4/27/2010) - About 1,150 miles Southwest of Cape Town, South Africa

That's more than 300 miles.

Last edited by wagga; 04/28/10 06:39 AM.

wagga #3878 04/29/10 05:24 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Jessica is Taking It As It Comes.

"The bad news is that there's MORE rubbish weather headed our way. After looking at the weather charts showing this new low pressure system expected over the weekend, I'll admit I had to dig real deep to stay cool about it all. Right now I've got more than a few bruises and sore muscles. Overall I feel pretty drained and would kill for some easy sailing but seeing as that's not what I'm going to get I'm just going to have to toughen up some more and deal with it!"

wagga #3898 04/30/10 05:28 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a summary of Jessica's voyage to date, with pics & video. Click on the flyover at WA to see how small Ella's Pink Lady is on the ocean.

wagga #3908 04/30/10 09:01 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
From tomorrow's Sydney Morning Herald.

"After surviving 120km/h winds, multiple knock-downs, six months alone at sea and even a collision with a freighter on a test run, Jessica is back in Australian waters, although wild conditions off Tasmania this week whipped up frightening 10-metre waves and forced her into a holding pattern near Bass Strait."

"On land, her progress has been equally remarkable. Last month, her agent signed a deal with News Corporation valued at $700,000, far in excess of what most celebrities get paid for their stories."

wagga #3919 04/30/10 11:10 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Why I opposed competitive extreme sports:
======================

Zion National Park (UT)
Two Rafters Drown In Virgin River

On Sunday, April 25th, rangers received a report of an overdue party from a float trip down though the Virgin River Narrows. Investigation revealed that two 23-year-old men from Las Vegas had hiked into the Narrows with the intent of constructing a log raft and floating approximately 50 miles through the Narrows to Hurricane, Utah. The men were not equipped with wetsuits or PFDs, did not have whitewater rafting experience, and had limited camping experience, little food and no overnight gear. They told their father that they intended to record their entire trip on video camera as an entry into the "Man vs. Wild" competition. The SAR operation concluded on April 26th when both bodies and a small amount of personal gear were recovered from the river. [Submitted by Cindy Purcell, Chief Ranger]

wagga #3920 05/01/10 05:57 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
More Abbica news.

Jessica posted a pic of a BIG swell.

"Pic: From the big swell during the week, with the drogue trailing behind Ella's Pink Lady, shaking off one wave with the next 10m monster coming up behind."

Abby is heading in.

"I should get to Cape Town Tuesday or Wednesday all being well and we should be able to finish the repairs in no more then a week."

Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard