Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thanks to all!
#43668 07/26/15 07:47 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I am back in LA lounging in my home with a beer (feels terrific I tell ya!!!) as I write this post. I am immensely grateful for all the advice I received on this forum that made my trek successful and my dream fulfilled.

The two most difficult sections of the hike were the 2 miles to trail camp and the 2 miles to summit - before trail camp you leave the tree line and suddenly there is relentless sun hitting you and just granite everywhere, the trail is a lot rougher and it takes forever for trail camp to appear! The other difficult section was the last 2 miles to the summit - once I hit Trail crest it was absolutely FREEZING as the sun was blocked by the mountain and the winds were crazy. The "trail" - if you can call it that, in some places was just straddling over boulders which made the going that much tougher.

I saw some day hikers on that part - it looked like there were about to die WTF?? Day hiking this thing is absolutely insane, but if people can do it then good luck to them. Personally I would NEVER recommend a day hike of this trail to anyone but the MOST experienced backcountry hikers. If you get stuck on this part of the trail without adequate gear you will be seriously f*cked!

Couple of goofs - I went to the summit without any food which sucked. I had left my Bear Vault solo out and in the morning the entire thing had frozen over and since my fingers were freezing as well I just could not open the thing to get anything, I finally said screw it and went without anything except my water.

I was pretty slow, I departed trail camp at 5am and hit the summit at exactly 9:24am. The switchbacks were not that bad but the last 2 miles to the summit was pretty brutal. I met a girl en route that told me she hiked from trail camp to the summit in 2 hours flat...WOW!

One thing that saved my behind was Diamox, I did not have any altitude sickness at all. I am telling you - this thing is magic and I SWEAR by it. I had an Oximeter and measured 92% O2 at 12,000 feet. I took 250mg twice daily starting on Thu. I did not take it the final day as the diuretic effect was too much!

I have hiked Mt. Baldy, Mt. San Jacinto, Everst Base Camp, White mountain peak etc. and I can say that this is one MONSTER hike. I wish I had prepped more for it. But unlike White mountain peak which is extremely drab, the Mt. Whitney trail is so beautiful and that helps a lot with motivation.

Thanks again for all the help! Adios!

Re: Thanks to all!
trident777 #43674 07/26/15 10:30 PM
S
S
Congratulations! Glad you made it.

trident777 #43689 07/27/15 12:59 PM
All of that worrying for nothing! grin

As for the Whitney summits: one is one too many, one is never enough. Trust me.

Now, are you ready for a day-hike next time next year?

Don't be afraid to fail, be afraid not to try...

Congratulations on your summit.

Bravo Zulu.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #43701 07/27/15 07:34 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d

Don't be afraid to fail, be afraid not to try...

Thank you!! and well said! If one does not try then you will never find out if you will succeed smile

trident777 #43703 07/27/15 09:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I totally agree with you on the toughest sections of the trail. Getting to trail camp and the summit seems to take forever because you can see it but it seems like you're never going to arrive. I can't believe you summited without food. I would have never tried summiting without all the essentials. I hope someone was on the summit to take your picture...a selfie is good too. You experienced heat and freezing, proof that hiking Mt. Whitney calls for a hiker to be prepared for extreme weather at both ends of the spectrum. I'm very happy for you..You made it.

I like the idea of taking an oximeter, great idea, great tip. I never knew what it was until my brother recently got pneumonia. Having an oximeter gives him confidence when he feels he is not filling his lungs well enough, he worries and checks his oxygen and feels better knowing it's not low.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 07/27/15 09:37 PM.

Lynnaroo
trident777 #43758 08/01/15 02:03 PM
Congratulations! I've been reading your posts along the way to the finish line. I will be hiking Mt. Whitney in just over a week for the first time. Loved reading your experience. I have the same bear can as you, and they are a bugger to open when frozen. I will keep this in mind because I definitely won't go foodless up to the summit...this girl likes to eat! Anyways, congrats!!

Deannagg #43827 08/05/15 12:43 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Deannagg, all the very best on your hike!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard