Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Freesole shoe repair
#44291 09/15/15 04:17 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Freesole - This stuff is far better than Shoe goo

Freesole

It was recommended to me by Kittredge Sports in Mammoth. I have used it for about 5 years.

It is great for tacking down loose boot soles, especially on the toe end or side where they come loose. Does take 48 hrs to set up strongly, not the 24 they say. Just clean up the area with a stiff brush, scrape out any trapped dirt with a knife or small screwdriver, wipe down the area to be glued with a alcohol prep pad (again using a small device to get it into every nook and cranny), then squeeze some of the glue in there, maybe even use a toothpick or similar to spread it in further, then hold the loose flap against the rand with weight, or multiple rubber bands.

I have especially used it on the heel back edge, something I always wear down quickly, yet the rest of the boot is fine. with the shoe upside down, set up a "dam" with a piece of duct tape around the heel high enough to fill in with the glue. It is very sticky and viscous, but will still flow slowly, so be sure to prop the boot completely level. Check it again 5-10 min later to be sure. Let it set up 48 hrs, peel off the duct tape, and go.

I have done this multiple times to rebuild the heel. $5 of Freesole, gets you, well, a free sole. Does it work? yes. Done right (proper cleaning and alcohol prep before applying the glue) will get you 80-90 miles even on hard terrain before wearing down. Just re-apply, again and again. By the time you re-do this 3-4 times on the heel edge, you have saved yourself a bundle
(either cobbler resoling or new boots) AND you get to keep those favorite, comfy ones you like.

Re: Freesole shoe repair
Harvey Lankford #44313 09/21/15 10:17 AM
Thanks for the review! I'm going to order a tube of this stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard