We hiked from Mammoth Mountain Inn to Minaret Summit, then snowshoed to Peak 10,242 Provisional via San Joaquin Ridge. Here are some quick notes on what we found:
- Between Mammoth Mountain Inn and Minaret Summit, we did not use snowshoes on our ascent or descent.
- Once the snow goes through several thaw and freeze cycles, snowshoes (traction) might be more useful.
- We used snowshoes from Minaret Summit to Peak 10,242 Prov. Until about 10,125 ‘ (false summit), there were alternating areas of hard packed, wind-swept snow and powder.
- Above 10,125′ snow coverage was very thin in most areas, until we hit the very top of Peak 10242′.
- There were snowmobile tracks all the way to Peak 10,242.
Clicking on the link or photo below will bring you to page with more photos.
Trail & Snow Conditions: Minaret Summit & Peak 10,242′ Provisional