Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Horseshoe Meadows to Langley/Whitney/Portal
#45120 01/14/16 10:20 PM
OP Offline
Okay, I'm pretty sure this year I'm going to start at Horseshoe Meadows, go through New Army Pass, Summit Mt Langley, then double back to Army Pass Tr. Then take Army Pass Tr, PCT, JMT up to Whitney's Summit. And exit via Whitney Portal.

(optional if I decide on a shorter route between the summits, I may try one of the routes described in this thread )

First question: How many days should I assume it'll take me if I do the full loop via the PCT and JMT?
I was thinking 5 nights might be doable, but curious what others have done it in.

Second question: Is early July too early (especially if we get the big snow dumping it looks like we will this year)? I'm trying to fit this around a Japan trip in August (Mt Fuji, Japan Alps, and maybe Mt Tsurugi as short day hike (or maybe one night if my body is still functioning at that point smile ), so Labor day weekend would be an option if early July is too early-but always start to worry about more frequent afternoon thunderstorms the later it gets in the summer.

Third question: Is Langley reachable from Horseshoe in a single day? (after staying overnight up at the camps there).
Or should I plan to head up to Horseshoe Meadows early by car/taxi, start the hike and camp somewhere after New Army Pass?

Re: Horseshoe Meadows to Langley/Whitney/Portal
WanderingJim #45125 01/15/16 07:08 PM
S
S
Should be a good trip. I think 5 nights ought to get you through just fine, even if you go the PCT-JMT route.

If you are strong, you could do Langley the first day, but you would need to start out pretty early. ...or start out the afternoon before and knock off the first few easier miles and then camp.

Two years the switchbacks were accessible late: 7/9/2011 and 7/1/2010. Since then it has been in May. I would plan on the trip, and if there is heavy snow, just descend about 2 in the afternoon when snow is soft, and either glissade (take an ice axe), or plunge-step down the snow slope.

BTW, you will not be allowed to park your car at Whitney Portal for that trip, due to all the road construction.

I am hoping to do a similar trip, late June or early July. I definitely want to go over Crabtree Pass to try some fishing, but I want to also head down to Crabtree Meadow and below to the hidden packer camp a mile west of the PCT -- I've been told there is a spring there that may be warmer than normal, so want to find it and see.

Steve C #45128 01/17/16 03:29 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of coming up from Horseshoe Meadows is to avoid driving thru the road construction. Figured hitching a ride (or Uber/Taxi) would get me down from the portal.

Kind of thinking of this itinerary:

First day: Park somewhere in Lone Pine and get a ride up to Horseshoe Meadows (or take a taxi/Uber). Camp at the trailhead camps.

Second day: Hike through the Cottonwood lakes area (probably taking a little time to see the lakes), go up new army pass. Setup camp somewhere up there and shed unneeded weight.
If able, go for the Langley summit in late afternoon.

Third day: Go to the summit if not able to the day before.
Is the path to to the Langley summit safe to do pre-dawn to see the sunrise from the summit? Or should I just see the sunrise along the ridge while climbing to the summit?

After the summit, return to camp and pack up and head down the Army Pass trail. See Solider Lakes on the way.
Camp somewhere once I get to the PCT.
Next day or two would be to get to the JMT and head towards the Whitney trail junction.

Are the Crabtree Lakes worth taking the little detour trail to see? Guess that detour would end up depending on how much progress I've made at that point.

Last water at Guitar Lake, I assume? Looks like the trail has pretty good water sources all along the way up until then.

It really depends on when I get to Guitar lake, but I'd either camp there, the bivy sites just below the junction, or even the spot near the JMT/Whitney trail junction (seen it marked with a camp spot on several maps... although don't remember a lot of space there when I went thru there last year) and head towards the summit the next morning (probably pre-dawn).

Alternately, I'd head up in the afternoon and stay overnight at the summit. Hopefully leaving as much excess weight at the JMT/WT junction as I can. I know this route requires me to take all my equipment at least to that junction.

Once I'm done with the summit, head down to the portal.

So five nights on the trail plus the night at Horseshoe meadows). Of course, I could skip Langley altogether, but I figure as long as it's right there, why not go for it. smile An extra 2000 foot climb never killed anyone... well, probably has, but what the heck. smile

Late July is looking likely at the moment. Japan trip is looking to be late August through Labor Day.

WanderingJim #45141 01/19/16 07:21 PM
H
H
your day 2:

I have done that twice - camped at New Army Pass -SUPER spot. - see pic

we guzzled water down below for early dinner, reached NAP at about 5pm . The 2 quarts water we carried was all we had for next day Langley ascent, then back down scooting down the first chute to the right and around Major General to Miter Basin to camp and drink up.

Harvey Lankford #45143 01/19/16 08:03 PM
OP Offline
That does look like a good spot. I can even see it in Google Earth. smile (I think I see it, looks like it's right at the top of the pass?)

Although that angle gives me shivers. smile Kind of like the first time I saw the rim surrounding the Portal... "I have to climb up that?" smile

Thanks for the info.

Harvey Lankford #45146 01/19/16 11:52 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
your day 2:

I have done that twice - camped at New Army Pass -SUPER spot. - see pic

we guzzled water down below for early dinner, reached NAP at about 5pm . The 2 quarts water we carried was all we had for next day Langley ascent, then back down scooting down the first chute to the right and around Major General to Miter Basin to camp and drink up.

Nice idea, only I think I'd want to carry 4 quarts! (Use quart freezer ziplock bags for the extra water. It works.)

Harvey, I am curious how high you carried your packs toward Langley? Can you better identify where you descended? Here's the topo map.

Is the cross hair on this aerial view the camping spot in the picture above? Note the three hikers in the satellite picture:

Open this map full screen.

Steve C #45153 01/20/16 03:35 PM
H
H
Steve, X marks the spot. Low and sort of out of the wind if there is any.

We guzzled water at Long lake below at 3pm, arrived at NAP 5pm, maybe a swig, but most of the 2 qts saved for summit day. No problem to pop to top, then down to the west and water. Cool am.

From NAP, we carried our packs straight toward Langley, and down (no trail) to the low spot where Army Pass is. Then started the gentle part of the slope up to where there is a trail to Langley. We stashed our packs near where there is a trail junction from the main Langley trail to the west and down to skirt around the base of Major General (to go over into Miter Basin.)

On the way down from Langley, it would be the first chute to the right. We just went on the langley side of the chute, the trail is on the other side of the chute, but lower down it does not matter as there are multiple crisscrossing trails, and the destination in plain view the whole time

I had a post in 2014 with a map, but the maps are no longer visible.
Miter Basin trip 2014

pic of the trail down the chute to the west

WanderingJim #46845 06/24/16 10:20 PM
OP Offline
So as my first thought of doing this for the July 4th weekend gets closer, I'm thinking the current conditions for the Langley to Whitney area makes doing it mid-July a better choice. It'd mean taking an additional day off work, but I'd also get to use the 4th for July weekend to hike in Yosemite (Already got a permit for a hike north of Hetch Hetchy smile ).

Any thoughts on current conditions vs. waiting a couple more weeks?

Still plan to get my permit, leave my car in Lone Pine and get a shuttle/taxi/uber to Horseshoe meadows. Then after exiting via Whitney Portal, hitch a ride back to Lone Pine. Figure that's easier to do than get from the portal to Horseshoe after my hike.

Do the campgrounds around the Cottonwood lakes/Cottonwood pass trailheads usually have space, even on Saturday nights?

Or can I rely on the kindness of other backpackers to squeeze me in if needed?

WanderingJim #46846 06/25/16 08:34 PM
S
S
Jim, when I spoke to the handi-ride people in Lone Pine on the phone, they told me there was no Uber driver in Lone Pine. But one might turn up -- you never know.

I think the hassle of getting up to Horseshoe by shuttle or hitch hiking might be the toughest part of your trip. Once you get up there, there are plenty of sites. They are all one-night-only, so they never fill up.

As for July 4, I think snow will be pretty well cleared out by then.

Steve C #46848 06/26/16 11:55 AM
OP Offline
Thanks. Any advice about Old Army Pass vs New Army Pass?

And anything not to miss along the trail?

Still looks like it'll be mid July due to other factors happening in my work/life. I keep telling my boss I can get a satellite Internet connection plus a solar panel and work from wherever I am, but he hasn't gone for that idea. smile

WanderingJim #46849 06/26/16 12:29 PM
S
S
New Army will certainly be open by now, with "old" Army likely to have that last cornice-like snow bank at the top. Not sure when it finally melts away.

I'd hate to be sitting out in the wilderness having to resolve some IT issue. Too much fun to be had out there.

WanderingJim #46850 06/26/16 12:47 PM
S
S
I'm driving up to Cottonwood on Sunday, July 17th if you need a ride on that date.

Shirley #46851 06/26/16 06:06 PM
OP Offline
First thing in the morning?

I was hoping to sleep at 10k to acclimatize. Spending Friday night at Mammoth Lakes at 8k.

But I might be interested.

WanderingJim #46854 06/27/16 03:18 AM
S
S
Probably not FIRST thing in the morning, but I too will be camping there on Sunday, July 17th to acclimatize.

Shirley #46862 06/27/16 07:24 PM
OP Offline
Ah, I was planing on going up Sat and starting my hike Sunday.

Thanks anyway.

Harvey Lankford #46978 07/07/16 09:45 PM
OP Offline

T minus 10 days.

Weather looks good so far, but still a bit early to rely on long range forecasts.

Got a parking space in LP and ride to Horseshoe meadows lined up.

Going to need a new hiking stick. My 'warmup hike' at Hetch Hetchy over the 4th weekend cost me my current stick. Tripped and used it to break my fall. I was okay. The stick wasn't.

But probably helped avoid injuring me, so I'll enshrine it. smile

Anyone know of a good place to buy a good quality wood hiking stick in Lone Pine? (not the portal) Might be able to find one locally in the bay area this weekend, but just in case I need to get one in LP before my hike, it'd be good to know ahead of time.

BTW, my warmup hike was HH to Behive, to Lake Vernon to Racheria Falls back to HH. Kind of the classic hike at HH, but I've never done it (just day hikes around HH), so it was a great hike.

And with my Horseshoe to Langely to Whitney hike coming up, I'm starting to wonder if my planned route is the most visually scenic.

Basically, I was planning on Cottonwood Lakes to NAP or OAP on day 1. Summit Langley on day 2. Then make my way west to Solider Lakes, Army Pass Trail, the PCT and up to the JMT and Guitar Lake over the next 2-3 days. Then hit Whitney from the West before descending to the Portal.

I have the time to do that, but also looking at Harvey's route below and some other routes that go up past the Miter, Crabtree Pass, then either Crabtree Meadow and the JMT or the more direct path (although more complicated) to Trail Crest.

Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford

I had a post in 2014 with a map, but the maps are no longer visible.
Miter Basin trip 2014

Those look like they might be more visually spectacular than sticking to the PCT/JMT roundabout route. It just seems the PCT goes around some interesting mountains, but going the other way takes me up and around a lot of peaks and lakes.

Of course, they are not as well traveled and probably not clear cut paths.

Any advice?

Anyone done both routes and can say which one was the better hike?

Last edited by WanderingJim; 07/07/16 09:46 PM.
WanderingJim #46980 07/08/16 09:28 AM
C
C
I was originally planning a Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney trip this summer, going cross country, but then we moved to Denver in late spring...

My plan was HM to Cottonwood Lakes. Up OAP to bag Langley, then down the drainage to Soldier, up through Miter, over Crabtree Pass, over Discovery Pinnacle to Whitney and then down the MMWT.

My thought was that I wanted to spend more time in the granite wonderland of the Miter Basin, and I was sure we'd see a whole lot less people on that route vs swinging back around to the PCT/JMT, and spending a night at Guitar Lake.

Two very different hikes, but I'm sure both are equally wonderful and I'll make a trip back to the Eastern Sierra in a year or two to try one.

Have a great trip!

WanderingJim #46981 07/08/16 09:45 AM
S
S
Wandering Jim, sorry to see your favorite walking stick came to its end. I hope you can find an appropriate replacement. The places I have seen them are souvenir stores in National Parks. I lost my pair of poles in May -- must have left them at the trail head, not sure. So I'm buying a super light pair, but I doubt they would save me if I fell against them.

Like Chris B, I was hoping to do the Miter Basin - Crabtree Pass route this summer, but weeks are slipping by fast! I've never hiked that PCT section, but since the off-trail route is pretty well known, it sounds like fun.

WanderingJim #46982 07/08/16 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: WanderingJim
Anyone know of a good place to buy a good quality wood hiking stick in Lone Pine?

I don't know of any place for sure. However, here are some places you could call:

Elevation (760) 876-4560
Lone Pine Sporting Goods (760) 876-5365
Gardner's True Value Hardware (760) 876-4208
High Sierra Outfitters (760) 876-9994
Eastern Sierra Visitor's Center (760) 876-6200

If you will pass through Bishop, there is

Wilson's Eastside Sports (760) 873-7520

Good luck!

RichardK #46984 07/08/16 04:53 PM
Try the Hostel, too. IF they sell them at the Portal, they may be able to hook you up without a trip up there.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #46985 07/08/16 04:55 PM
Or get a 6 foot closet pole from any lumber place, and whittle it as you go.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #46987 07/08/16 08:48 PM
P
P
That looks like the hiking staffs that they sell at most Boy Scout Council Scout Shops that you can adorn with badges and what not. Try a scout shop in your area, they should have one there.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/hiking-staff.html

Last edited by psykokid; 07/08/16 08:50 PM.
psykokid #46994 07/09/16 04:18 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. Found a nice hiking stick at a local nature shop, so I'm good there.

My pack has hit 48 pounds. About 3 pounds over my pack weight on my 2.5 day Whitney hike from the portal last year. Not bad. I had sort of hopped to get it lighter than last year, but 3-4 extra days of food adds up.

Maybe I'll take another look at what I can leave behind tomorrow. smile

The overland route past the Miter, over Crabtree pass and back to Crabtree meadows is the likely route at the moment. It seems to be more visually stimulating and I'm in no rush. But final choice will be made on the trail probably.

Quick question: Strap on crampons needed or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard