Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mt Whitney Main Trail in April for someone from the tropics
Harvey Lankford #45989 04/29/16 10:09 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
Originally Posted By: IdEaMaNi
I will look up on Ice Axe usage

You cannot learn by looking it up, or talking to a friend.

If you fall on snow and especially on ice, you have O.3 seconds to reflexively respond. Bad things happen fast. The only way to do that is with supervised practice on similar terrain. This must be done on the same steepness of slope and character, but with safe runout before you put your life on the line for real.

Harvey, what do you think about this group? This is a picture of them climbing up to Iceberg Lake on the Mountaineers Route. It sure looks to me like they are off-route -- climbing too high too soon, over the "seep" area rather than staying low and climbing the easier slot to the west.

If anyone slipped here, I don't think they would even have 0.3 second to respond!

From FB pictures posted here: Mt. Whitney via Mountaineer's Route.

IdEaMaNi, fortunately there is nothing like this on the Main Mt. Whitney Trail.

Last edited by Steve C; 04/29/16 11:03 AM. Reason: show picture
Steve C #45990 04/29/16 10:41 AM
H
H
Steve, the picture does not display, but steepness and gravity is the issue. I picked the 0.3 sec on purpose because it takes that long to respond. As you imply, if bad things are gonna happen, they are already underway before 0.3 seconds. So placing protection beforehand is needed.

Harvey Lankford #45991 04/29/16 11:04 AM
S
S
I edited my post to make sure the picture can display. This group is in one hairy spot!

Harvey Lankford #46047 05/01/16 08:58 PM
I
I
I meant to say, I will practice using it definitely and get lessons from a friend who is more knowledgeable with using it. I am sorry I did n't mean to say, I will read it up and learn. I understand the gravity of your explanation. Thank you Harvey Lankford.

IdEaMaNi #46048 05/01/16 09:04 PM
I
I
oh woah that looks scary! I am starting to feel more nervous about my hike the more I see pictures on the MR! Have done a lots of long big hikes ( no 14ners though) and was never this nervous about a hike before! shocked

It will be almost very difficult to make sure I will be on the trail especially this time of the year. Is my understanding right? Like everyone did, I will follow the policy to stick to the route that has many foot steps in it. Is this a good policy to follow?

I have spent almost the entire evening today trying to wrap my head around to learn the trail but most of the pictures and maps are based on the trail during summer or later. Will the trail at least be reasonably identifiable during this season to a certain extent? I understand the switchbacks are probably difficult to identify but apart from that, what about the rest of the trail?

Thank you guys for all guidance. It really helps newbies like me to prepare well.

IdEaMaNi #46050 05/01/16 10:16 PM
S
S
The picture above is NOT on the Main Trail. The Mountaineers Route goes up the North Fork Lone Pine Creek, splits off the Main Trail at the first main stream crossing. It is not a trail, and the picture above shows the people doing it were OFF ROUTE. There is an easier place to climb that slope.

Ideamani: I'm not sure when you are going, now. But right now, small storms are adding a little snow to the trail. May can be like that. When you go, let's hope it is a few days after a storm, and you can follow others tracks. Unfortunately, I understand that this time of year, in the area between Mirror Lk and Trail Camp, sometimes tracks go all over the place, made by people losing the trail and looking for a better route.

Don't try to follow the switchbacks above Trail Camp. But do try to watch the most traveled path below.

Steve C #46057 05/02/16 06:30 AM
I
I
Thank you Steve for your kind words, gives some motivation. My buddies and I have permit for the 13th of May and will try and summit on the 14th. I am hoping storms predicted for the May 5-8th will the last for a few days and hopefully clear up by the time we get there. Yes, initially I was of the idea of just using the switchbacks to be safe but the more reading, reports by others and expert advice, I am starting to think the way you had suggested. Just follow suit steps left behind by people and hope it is going on the trail and not too off trail.

My game plan is to try and get to the camp a little earlier on 13th so that I can practice using the ice axe and get more confidence in the event I am taking the chute the next day (which is very likely). I also have a few friends trying to summit this coming weekend. I am waiting to hear more from them too.

IdEaMaNi #46065 05/02/16 08:43 AM
S
S
I don't know how flexible you and your group is, but right now there are quite a few permits available for June and later. The permits people did not pay for went up for grabs yesterday. They will be gone soon.

Steve C #46081 05/02/16 08:22 PM
I
I
Thank you Steve C for the information. I have asked my group about their flexibility. Most of us have to fly into SJC or LA to drive down and so let's see what they have to say.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard