Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about Mt. Dana
#4633 05/26/10 06:35 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
I have permits for Mt. Whitney in early September. I am from the SF Bay Area, and am planning some training hikes, including Mt. Dana. Assuming Tioga Pass opens eventually, when do folks think Mt. Dana will be sufficiently safe for those of us who don't have snow/ice mountaineering skills?

(White Mountain is also in my training program...).

Thanks!

Re: Question about Mt. Dana
Akichow #4636 05/26/10 06:58 PM
Bee Offline
Mt. Dana remains my favorite mountain, and I have done it both in "summer" conditions (August) and early "Spring" conditions (snow on the last 1/3 of the route). Due to its rounded shape and wide open face, Dana is an excellent training ground to get used to hiking at altitude, snow, and areas that are not stomped to death by the hordes. Like all snow covered terrain that is sun facing, the timing should be that you start early enough -- but not too early -- to hit the face when the snow is softening up, but not too late that your return turns into a post hole nightmare! The slope is gentle enough for a very controlled glissade on the return trip (providing that there are not too many sun cups or if the snow is too soft, you will actually get bogged down) I cannot say enough about the views....(I will post some pictures in a bit)

On the way up (courtesy of Bob R.)

Dana Lake looking down from the ridge

Mono Lake to the East

(for those who have seen these pix one too many times -- close your eyes)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #4650 05/26/10 11:01 PM
S
S
If you're planning on White Mtn, you could do it in the same trip, maybe 2 or 3 days before Whitney. Then it would also get you acclimated for the altitude.

I've only hiked Dana when it was mostly dry; sometimes doing it the weekend before Whitney so I'd get at least a little acclimatization effect from it.

Bee #4658 05/27/10 07:14 AM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
The pictures are fabulous. Thanks for the advice. I am wanting to do Mt. Dana when the trail is dry ... no ice, snow ... and wondering when the ice/snow on the trail will clear ....

Akichow #4664 05/27/10 07:58 AM
Akichow, it'll be a while. They're simply trying to get Tioga clear right now, and using dynamite on ice around Olmsted Point.

Also realize that there are many use trails above the plateau section, which, if you're not used to seeing that sort of thing, can be confusing. Once you start heading for the summit, it's more of a "pick your poison" and steps to get there. It's not difficult route finding, by any stretch, but if you're looking for a solid, uninterrupted "trail" it will be different.

I'll put my money on late July/early August for full clearance. But it might stop snowing tomorrow...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Akichow #4668 05/27/10 09:24 AM
S
S
Dana is awesome. May I suggest that once you get to the plateau, the "easiest" way to the top is basically straight up, IMO. You go left to the ridgem and there are a lot of big boulders that are fun to negotiate, but will slow you down quite a bit.

Also, another mountain in the area that is awesome is Mt. Conness--it's a similar length hike out of the Saddlebag Lake area. Views are epic. Snow there prolly later in the year. I've had a couple of the permanent Yose rangers tell me that this is their favorite hike in the area.

Another great hike with epic views is Tioga Peak--again from out of near Saddlebag Lake--you hike up to a plateau where Gardisky Lake is located, and then up Tioga Peak. Bear to the LEFT on that one, otherwise you run into some short cliffs which are fun but which slow you down.

steelfrog #4686 05/27/10 08:59 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
These are great suggestions. Really appreciate them. I love the Tioga Pass area, have done some lower elevation hikes. Have heard about routefinding at the top of Dana but sounds doable....

Akichow #4687 05/27/10 09:14 PM
Bee Offline
There is little to no chance of getting lost once the use trail fades out into a scree-slog (okay, I am sure SOMEone could work it out) The peak will be painfully obvious to you as it moves further and further away, the closer you think you are. If you are like I was the first time, you could try all of the routes approx 1/3 the way, change your mind and try another one, until your hiking buddy pokes his head over the ridge and tells you to knock it off and get moving...

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Link Copied to Clipboard