Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My. Baldy conditions
#46429 05/25/16 08:10 PM
G
Gina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Prior to tackling the higher Sierra elevations later in June, I'd like to have my first shot at Mt. San Antonio next week. Is the loop trail up ski lift then over the backbone free of ice at this time? Thanks!

Re: My. Baldy conditions
Gina #46432 05/25/16 09:58 PM
S
S
Reports I can find show the trails are dry already.

Steve C #46434 05/26/16 04:25 AM
G
Gina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Oh that's good-I don't have snow/ice footwear and would like to have a nice spring day hike.

Gina #46435 05/26/16 07:40 AM
W
W
Not to you specifically...

About one person a week gets lost on Mt. Baldy. This is inexplicable to anyone you done this mountain a couple of times. Many go there for the first time and do the Manker Loop, up to the Baldy Notch, down the Ski Hut Trail. First timers should only do an out and back.

In normal weather conditions problems occur at two points. The flat along the Ski Hut Trail at ~9,500' and in the Bowl. At 9,500' people go off the ridge and head down Good Canyon, where the WW II aircraft wreckage is...and just keep going eventually bouldering lower until they are spend. In the Bowl, the lose the trail and continue down to the top of San Antonio Falls.

Sheriff's aviation more times than not, will just shoo the geographically challenged up from whence they came. On rare occasion SAR is called out and someone get a free helicopter ride.

Steve C #46446 05/27/16 08:18 AM
H
H
Baldy this Memorial Day: forecasts are 60's all weekend. Beautiful! My son and I will be up the ski hut trail on Monday, hope to see some of you!

-Dan

Halfdomer Homer #46447 05/27/16 10:33 AM
S
S
I'm going up Bear Canyon Trail to the Summit on Sat 5-28, camping near the Notch, then going down the next morning via Three Tees - Icehouse.

Seriously folks, get the AllTrails App on your phone. For $20 get the "Pro" version and download maps so you always know where you are even without 3G or LTE coverage. A real life saver.

ScottHikerEsq #46451 05/27/16 02:33 PM
G
Gina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We will be hiking CW: San Antonio Falls, past the SC Ski Hut, summit, then down the Backbone to Baldy Notch.
I've read people do the loop either way. Our group is going on Wednesday and have the GPS coordinates. Should be an adventure for us.
Thanks for everyone's advice, I appreciate you imputs.

ScottHikerEsq #46485 05/30/16 07:45 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: ScottHikerEsq
I'm going up Bear Canyon Trail to the Summit on Sat 5-28, camping near the Notch, then going down the next morning via Three Tees - Icehouse.

Seriously folks, get the AllTrails App on your phone. For $20 get the "Pro" version and download maps so you always know where you are even without 3G or LTE coverage. A real life saver.

There are certain things where electronics work in the wilderness. Phone and mapping is not one of them. Your 6" screen is not big enough to give you good picture of the region, especially if things go south. Try triangulation on that screen.

Good paper USGS 7.5' quads are best, Tom Harrison Cartography will do.

As a Forest Service volunteer, we see it all. Most have between nothing and pieces of paper with squiggly lines...or picture in a phone of the message board. It is a rare day that someone has as much as THCM any more.

If you can't navigate with it, it isn't a map. If you don't know how to navigate, why have a map?

Gina #46486 05/30/16 07:48 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: Gina
We will be hiking CW: San Antonio Falls, past the SC Ski Hut, summit, then down the Backbone to Baldy Notch.
I've read people do the loop either way. Our group is going on Wednesday and have the GPS coordinates. Should be an adventure for us.
Thanks for everyone's advice, I appreciate you imputs.

Most of those lost on this mountain are doing a loop. This place is notorious for its lack of signage.

Your route direction is the safer way to go.

wbtravis #46491 05/30/16 01:03 PM
S
S
Sorry you are old school. If you like paper, great, but my AllTrails app kept in the right places on Bear Canyon Saturday. I camped at the summit and went down Backbone. A wonderful hike with a helpful app.

wbtravis #46492 05/30/16 01:12 PM
P
P
I got up this morning and did a CCW loop on Baldy. Went up to the notch, up the backbone, up and over the top of Harwood, up to the summit of Baldy, then down the other side of Baldy and tagged West Baldy. From the saddle between West Baldy and Baldy I contoured around level off trail until I hit the bowl trail. Down the bowl trail, past the Ski Hut, past the falls and back to my car. I covered the 11.5 miles in 4:30. Would have been a bit faster on the down leg but it was too steep, rocky and crowded with people coming up the trail to run down..

From the top of Harwood looking towards Baldy:

From the top of Harwood looking to San Gorgonio and San Jacinto:

Where the benchmark used to be on Baldy:

Looking northwest to Baden-Powell, Throop and Mount Burnham from the summit of Baldy.

Ubiquitous Baldy summit plaque photo:

West Baldy benchmark:

psykokid #46498 05/30/16 05:15 PM
G
Gina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm so excited for this hike, thanks for posting photos!

ScottHikerEsq #46501 05/31/16 06:25 AM
W
W
Not a thing to be sorry about. Where are the long/lat and UTM ticks? If lost, how do you triangulate from a 5-6" screen? It's an upgrade a forest service handout with pretty colors.

Many high end phones have a battery with no ability to be replaced when the charge runs out. What do you do then?

I am a big believer in dedicated electronics...GPS, iPods, cameras, VHF radios, etc. I have seen phone fail too often in the wilderness.

Back country travel is about redundancy and what can happen.

wbtravis #46502 05/31/16 10:17 AM
S
S
I agree with redundancy. That is why I carry a backup power pack to charge my cell phone if needed. If my phone completely crashes, I carry my iPad mini as a backup. Both have the maps downloaded.

As far as LAT/LON is concerned, why would triangulation be needed? GPS tells me precisely if I am on the trail I plan to be on, or 50 feet right or left. Can a paper map do that?

Gina #46506 05/31/16 12:16 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: Gina
I'm so excited for this hike, thanks for posting photos!

No problem! Conditions were great up there.

The Baldy Bowl trail is pretty clear as far as the route of the actual trail until you get up past the ski hut. Once past the ski hut, there are a lot of use trails that veer off from the mail trail - especially in the last mile or so. Not hard to stay on track, just keep heading up. Once you top out on Baldy the devils backbone trail, which you will be taking down, is clear and well defined. The only snow I saw was when I went up was on the back side of Mount Harwood which is up and to the north of the main trail. Have a good time! The hike up the Baldy Bowl trail looks pretty brutal to ascend. I was glad I was heading down it.

wbtravis #46507 05/31/16 12:29 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Not a thing to be sorry about. Where are the long/lat and UTM ticks? If lost, how do you triangulate from a 5-6" screen? It's an upgrade a forest service handout with pretty colors.

Many high end phones have a battery with no ability to be replaced when the charge runs out. What do you do then?

I am a big believer in dedicated electronics...GPS, iPods, cameras, VHF radios, etc. I have seen phone fail too often in the wilderness.

Back country travel is about redundancy and what can happen.

When going out somewhere new I always have a paper map of the area and compass. I also carry a Garmin e-trex 20 when hiking. The GPS is more to record tracks so I can analyze data and nerd out on stats when back home since it has longer battery life than my phone. I also will pre-download maps of the area I'm going to hike to my phone and will occasionally pull up the app when stopped to double check where I am in regards to where I expect to be at the time. I generally use my phone for taking pics when hiking so it will stay off until I need it. In the event the battery does get drained I carry a 10K mah battery pack to recharge devices when on trail.

The main thing I do before I go on a trip is to look at maps and satellite imagery of my intended route so that I know where I'm going and where I'm supposed to be ahead of time. If all my electronic devices failed I'd still be OK as I have solid map and compass skills and could navigate that way.

psykokid #46508 05/31/16 02:08 PM
C
C
psykokid where is the summit marker on west baldy? I've not been able to locate it....
thanks

CatB #46509 05/31/16 02:25 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: CatB
psykokid where is the summit marker on west baldy? I've not been able to locate it....
thanks

I looked around at the high point for a while where one would think the benchmark would be, to no avail. Having seen pics of it before I knew there was one, just ended up not being at the high point. It's a little west of the high point down the ridge line a bit, located near a small rock ring / wind break. Closest GPS coordinates I have are N34° 17.214' W117° 39.279'. If you copy/paste those coords into Google maps and zoom all the way in you can see the rock ring to the west a bit. Its right in that neck of the woods.

psykokid #46510 05/31/16 02:54 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: psykokid
I looked around at the high point for a while where one would think the benchmark would be, to no avail. Having seen pics of it before I knew there was one, just ended up not being at the high point. It's a little west of the high point down the ridge line a bit, located near a small rock ring / wind break. Closest GPS coordinates I have are N34° 17.214' W117° 39.279'. If you copy/paste those coords into Google maps and zoom all the way in you can see the rock ring to the west a bit. Its right in that neck of the woods.

Just for fun, I looked up the coordinates.   Links:    Google Maps     Gmap4
BTW, the decimal coordinates are: 34.286900,-117.654650

Steve C #46511 05/31/16 03:10 PM
C
C
Thanks! I'll look for it next time I'm up there......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard