Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Sara Keenan #46668 06/14/16 07:42 AM
H
H
I am going up with a couple of my friends on Sunday morning from the portal. We are going to attempt doing it in one day. We probably will end up taking the switchbacks both ways if possible. I will post the results of our hike.

heatpro #46669 06/14/16 08:38 AM
S
S
Thanks! I hope a lot of melting is happening so were can use the switchbacks and summit without snow/ice tools.

Sara Keenan #46670 06/14/16 08:45 AM
P
P
I'm hoping for that too....Before Sunday this week smile

Steve C #46671 06/14/16 09:16 AM
M
M
Thank you all for the great posts. I've been watching this thread for a while to plan for my overnight run starting Thursday, June 16. Unfortunately, all of my group fell ill so I'll be flying solo. I have reached the summit twice before but since I am inexperienced with crampons and an ice axe (and going solo), my plan is to take the switchbacks both ways.

After my trip, I'll make sure to report back.

modest #46674 06/14/16 11:50 AM
L
L
A group of 5 of us are heading up for an overnight run starting June 16th. The conditions look good so far! Planning to try the switchbacks also and maybe ascend up the chute route. Maybe we will run into you, modest! smile

I will post an update re: the hike for you guys heading up on Sunday smile

Luisito #46675 06/14/16 12:45 PM
P
P
Thanks Luisito. Looking forward to hearing about how it went. Good luck!

Steve C #46676 06/14/16 01:59 PM
C
C
Report from hike on Sunday 6/12. Weather was less than ideal- we hit the trail at 2:30 with quite a bit of rain and lightning in the area. Fortunately the rain stopped as we hit Muir Lake, and the sun broke shortly thereafter. By the time we hit trail camp, we had clear skies and a window to reach the summit. As expected the switchbacks were inaccessible due to high snow levels, so we put on our crampons and went up the chute (mostly using hiking poles but using ice axe as well). Four of us made it to the top of the chute at ~9:30- 3 of us continued to reach the summit shortly before noon. We could see a storm quickly moving in as we reached the summit, and as we began our descent we had heavy snow fall. We then glissaded down the chute (only option due to snow levels). Getting down took a while due to heavy snow (difficult to locate the trail at bottom of chute due to lot of snow), but we made it back safely late afternoon.

Anyone hiking in the next few weeks- there will be a lot of snow, be prepared to go up the chute.

Question- when we reached the bottom there were two solo hikers that had not made it down, their friends had gone to the ranger station to report it. Does anyone know if they made it down alright?

cnen #46679 06/14/16 03:00 PM
Z
Z
Such conflicting info on the switchbacks. Some say they are mostly uncovered, some say they are inaccessible.

Last edited by Zamp; 06/14/16 03:01 PM.
Steve C #46680 06/14/16 03:27 PM
R
R
Agreed, a lot of conflicting reports. Also would anyone know the status of the JMT side of the Whitney ascent? Planning to summit the 23rd and am hoping snow gear won't be necessary.

Thanks to everyone here posting. Really appreciate all the info.

Steve C #46682 06/14/16 06:01 PM
P
P
We went to Whitney last weekend, entry on Saturday 11 and exit on Sunday 12.

We reached trail camp on Saturday afternoon. The trail was 95% snow free, and we had just a little bit of rain on the way. However, on Saturday around 8pm, a snowstorm reached us, coming from the trailhead. It was quite scary to be in such an exposed area with the lightenings. We were planning to start around 3AM as many other backpackers, but the first window of lightening-free weather was around 7am. We took this opportunity to climb down, as most other backpackers at trail camp.

It seems to be a common pattern to have lightening at night. Be prepared for it and be safe. We were very surprised how the conditions can change from spring to winter in a few hours. In the evening, we had dinner on a grassy area by a charming lake at trail camp. Next morning, everything is covered with snow and the lake is frozen.

Full size

Full size

People who took exclusively the chute were advising to take the switchbacks. People who took exclusively the switchbacks were advising to take the chute. Yes, this is confusing. However, people who climbed up the chute and climbed down the switchback, were saying this was the a good option. However, this was before the 20cm snow fall. After the snow fall, glissading down might be easier with the snow decelerating your descent.

Be safe on the mountain, and thanks to everyone for sharing their trip, this helped us a lot!

Last edited by Philippe; 06/14/16 06:14 PM.
Philippe #46697 06/15/16 04:58 PM
S
S
I'm showing summit temps in the 40s starting on Sunday. We are planning to hike up the 28th, camp at trail camp, then summit the 29th and return same day.

I have no experience with crampons but feel comfortable walking in them. I have no experience with an ice axe and if we must go up or down the chute, that's a no go for me.

Can anyone predict with reasonable accuracy if the switchbacks will melt sufficiently by the 29th?

ScottHikerEsq #46698 06/15/16 05:49 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have seen several reports now that a few people are using the switchbacks, especially to descend.

We also can see the weather forecasts moving the highs 20 to even 30 degrees higher than a few days ago. Lots of snow melting will occur over the next two weeks. I think by the 28th, most will be using the switchbacks, both climbing and descending.

Steve C #46699 06/15/16 06:22 PM
P
P
Thanks. Very helpful. We're thinking, based on what I read, to do that exact thing: chute up and switchbacks down. Not sure whether to use crampons or spikes. We have both but we've never used crampons. Any suggestions?

Steve C #46700 06/15/16 07:56 PM
R
R
Hiked up from trail camp this morning and almost all of the groups were exclusively using the switchbacks. There was about 8 groups heading up early between 2-3 am. Some where still glissading down the chute to save time but I don't believe many were going up it today.
Our group of 4 did the whole thing without crampons or an axe so very doable especially as the week progresses. The cables and transitioning off the last switchback into trail crest were the worst spots. Microspikes or yak tracks recommended if your unsure.

Steve C #46702 06/15/16 11:34 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Posted on Instagram by _mark_davis_

Quote:
Long story short, we didn't summit. Lost the two strangers that had wanted to tag along pretty quickly since they weren't comfortable with the terrain, then the person I was guiding decided she had reached her comfort level as well and turned back. Just me and the wilderness, like old times.

We had decided to tackle the switchbacks due to them not being comfortable with the chute, but then quickly realized that trail was completely snowed over, causing everyone else to call it a day. I ended up jumping on the outside of the railings and just edging across the ledge. Took a break at the above photographed location while it was still relatively safe (you can see the area where I was shuffling along the outside of the rails), shortly after which it became considerably less friendly.

I ended up turning around at an icy pass with unstable terrain. I could have kept going, but for the first time in my life I didn't have the usual crazy urge inside of me to push my limits. Half crouched with one hand on the rail and the other holding my axe as certain thoughts raced through my mind, I made the call and put my ice axe back on my pack and headed down. Some things aren't worth risking.

I did end up falling off the cliffside later on though and consequently got lost, but I'll write about that later. Told my mother I'd make it back alive and well for church today, and it's time for me to fulfill that promise 😉.

Also posted:
Quote:
nawhitakerDid you hear about or see the accident on the Chute Saturday? I climbed up to Trail Camp on Saturday morning and spoke with a guy who was coming down who said he watched a climber do bouncing cartwheels down the entire Chute for 45 seconds, and was really banged up but survived. Broken bones and large gash on leg.
_mark_davis_Negative. Was there all morning in the Chute area but saw no injured hikers. @nawhitaker

Sat, June 11:

Steve C #46703 06/15/16 11:40 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Posted by Nate Whitaker on June 12:

Quote:
Mother Nature, you win this round. Nasty early morning storm conditions made a summit attempt too dangerous. Will be back at Mount Whitney soon for another try! #mtwhitney #trailcamp #blizzard #thechute #frozencliffbars #promisedrosieIwouldntdie

Steve C #46708 06/16/16 08:46 PM
S
S
#frozencliffbars LOL!!

Steve C #46711 06/17/16 09:05 AM
B
B
I have used this board for the last couple of weeks, thanks everyone for posting.

Group of 4 started hike on 6/15 at whitney portal at 3am, hit trail camp by 7:30. Took switchbacks up. Still a lot of snow by cables but safe with care. Right after cables was the most sketchy but not bad, that should be cleared up in a couple days if weather stays same. For the most part after that clear on switchbacks up till where it crossed chute area. we didn't have any problems but there was a group there that had a guy slide out traversing and slid down 20 ft or so before stopping.....they seemed little shaken up by it and where turning around.

From trail crest it was good but still snow/ice on trail, many were using micro spikes.

summited around 1:30 and headed back at 2. very windy and cold along entire ridge made the going slow. On way back same spot at top of chute was soft but we still didn't have issue getting back across to switchbacks which we took down without issue.

I would say more are using switchbacks now that chute, but people are still coming up chute and glissading down, didn't see any problems either way other than what I mentioned above.

plenty of running water just before cables still.

We had micro spikes and ice axes but never got them out, just poles and hiking shoes. Never hurts to put on spikes if you have them though just for added safety if that makes you more comfortable.

back to whitney portal around 8.

be safe....the altitude was tough!

b4macs #46712 06/17/16 10:41 AM
R
R
Thanks for the great update and glad you had a safe trip.

We head up on the 23rd next weeks. Sounds like the snow will really have a good melting time before we head up.

Robert

b4macs #46713 06/17/16 10:46 AM
G
G
Great update!
We are a group of 4 planning to head up for a day trip starting on 3 am - June 29th.
We plan to be there 25th evening to get used to the elevation change.
Any tips appreciated.

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard