Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2791 Members
13 Forums
4898 Topics
46627 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#47152 - 07/27/16 02:19 PM Grayl Water Filter
SoCalGirl Offline

Loc: Spring Valley, CA
I'm always looking for new/better/cooler toys then the ones I have.... lighter weight is always an added bonus too.

Do any of you GearHeads have any information or input into this particular filter system?

http://www.thegrayl.com/why-grayl/

Thanks!

#47153 - 07/27/16 03:45 PM Re: Grayl Water Filter [Re: SoCalGirl]
Wiff Offline

Loc: LA
Hey it's an anti-diarrhea French Press!

#47160 - 07/28/16 06:03 AM Re: Grayl Water Filter [Re: Wiff]
Sierra Angler Offline

Loc: Lake Tahoe California
SoCalGirl ,
Very nice ! I like the french press system , a larger one is next on the list . Now we will see 1. how warm weather mold and then 2. freezing / cracking will affect it . I have tested and used every pill, drops, 10 minute boiling, crystals, pump filter , battery lite , and military contraption for h2o filtration . This is very simple and at 99 percent and lite weigh ....whats not to like . What is the current Price tag ? Cheers ! GST

#47164 - 07/28/16 08:10 AM Re: Grayl Water Filter [Re: Sierra Angler]
SoCalGirl Offline

Loc: Spring Valley, CA
Originally Posted By: Sierra Angler
What is the current Price tag ? Cheers ! GST

Looks like $50ish is the current going price...

#47200 - 08/03/16 06:31 AM Re: Grayl Water Filter [Re: SoCalGirl]
Fishmonger Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
looks quite easy to contaminate the clean side with the unfiltered side while handling the thing. Your hands are also always involved, with most risk of disease coming from poor personal hygiene anyway, not what's in the water itself. I'd hate to have to use this system to filter 2 gallons for a 2 person dry camp away from a lake. and how do I get it into my large water bags? Oh, you carry a funnel, too. And then I want a mix drink - wait, now I need another bottle.

Different target audience, I guess. It's more for the trail runner dude who needs to be UL while still hip and trendy, plus can't afford a week of foamy poop disposition.

reminds me to finally buy a new cartridge for my Hiker Pro. Three summers and two people drinking from one filter, so she's pretty plugged up by now.

#47390 - 08/06/16 05:57 AM Re: Grayl Water Filter [Re: Fishmonger]
Sierra Angler Offline

Loc: Lake Tahoe California
All it takes is ONE microscopic Giardia Cyst Egg to be Swallowed into your Stomach and then your GUTS, .....and then Walla ....in a couple days...instant HOT GUSHING Liquids out the Back door and up the front Door. All it takes is ONE CYST . Any system can have a Horrendous and Painful - Contaminating Transference . In English....this Means..... Explosive Diarrhea , Major League Headache , and Straight Stream Vomiting. This means Weight Loss , as in Now , For Days . Until the Doctor gives you the Bottle of Magic Pills. So perform Water Purification.. Very Carefully . Other wise they will call you the Mighty ... " TWO STEP " .... Cheers ! GST