Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mt Whitney Overnight Group Hike advice
#48270 08/31/16 10:12 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I've organized an overnight group hike to summit Mt. Whitney via the main trail. Overnight permits have been secured.

The current plan:
Day 1: Early morning start to hike up to Trail camp. Set up camp.
Day 2: Summit. Return to Trail camp.
Day 3: Break camp. Hike back to the trailhead.
Day 4: Optional.

I planned it this way for the less conditioned members of our group.

A few question have been raised in our preparation for the trip.

1) If someone gets sick and has to turn back during the actual hiking portion of the trip, does the whole group have to turn back?

2) I understand there is one permit for the entire group. A group permit. How does that work if someone has to turn back? We've established a buddy system and if one person has to turn back, the buddy will accompany that person.

I'm sure I'll have other questions, as they arise. The trip is from Sept. 29th - October 2nd.

Thanks....

Ron

Re: Mt Whitney Overnight Group Hike advice
roncruiser #48276 08/31/16 11:05 PM
S
S
You are taking enough time, and altitude issues take some time to show up. I would expect people to feel the effects in the morning after spending the night at altitude. At that point, they could just decide to remain at Trail Camp while others hiked to the summit.

Having a buddy go back with a sickened hiker is good, especially if the person needed it. However, if they were still doing "pretty well", I might consider letting them descend alone as long as it was daytime. You would need to evaluate how well the person might do alone, though.

As for the permit, take some note cards along and write the permit number down, and each member can carry one.

roncruiser #48278 09/01/16 08:24 AM
C
C
Quote:
from Inyosar.com
Over the course of the past year, as Inyo County Search and Rescue has tackled challenges ranging from body recoveries in technical terrain to the coordination of a massive multi-agency search mission to the usual spate of long, cold, overnight medical emergencies at Trail Camp, our team has begun to realize its role not just in responding to disasters, but in working to prevent them. Limited resources make it difficult for our small group to reach the wider public, but we hope that through this newsletter, pamphlets distributed at local visitor centers, and a new informational sign at the Mt. Whitney trailhead, we can begin to have an effect on the mentality of those who venture into our mountains.

As call after call makes its way through emergency dispatchers to our automated calling tree, it's easy to pick up on the pattern. Overdue hiker, party separated, subject not seen since yesterday at 6am. Overdue climber, separated from partner, last seen yesterday at sunset. Patient with AMS, abandoned by party, needs assistance down from Trail Crest. This is not a coincidence. It's almost become a joke on our team: Oh, there's a callout. Let me guess. They split up?

Mountaineering alone is a choice that anyone should be free to make, as long as they understand the risks and responsibilities associated with being on their own. Yet traveling with others entails a different set of risks and responsibilities. When you start a hike, climb, or ski with a group, you are accepting a share in the outcome of that adventure. You have a duty to work together, to protect one another, and, in the event of an emergency, to help each other in any way you can. There may be circumstances in which the only way you can help your partners is by temporarily leaving them. But in the vast majority of cases, the safety of your group is greatly diminished when you split up. If your partner is sick, stay with him until he feels better or help him descend. If your partner is slower than you, adjust your pace. Nothing -- not even the summit -- is more important than all of you reaching the trailhead together at the end of the day.

Everyone has heard the old acronym about what to do if you get lost: Stop, Think, Observe your surroundings, and make a Plan. But there's an equally common-sense tenet of mountain wisdom that seems easier to forget: if you're hiking with a partner, STAY TOGETHER.
Please spread the word.
-- Julia Runcie, 2014 Team Captain

Copied from another post. Always stay with a partner. Love the idea of note cards to write your permit info on. We are doing the same hike, three day - Trail camp, Summit, Trail camp next Wednesday to Friday. Good luck on your hike and have fun :-)

Campgirl64 #48281 09/01/16 09:02 AM
B
B
The officials at the visitor centre advised us to take photos of the permit on our phone, and said that the rangers were used to that now as the standard way of demonstrating you were legal.

roncruiser #48288 09/01/16 05:02 PM
O
O
I thought that just having the tag on your pack was enough to be legal when you weren't the leader who is carrying the permit?

over1812 #48290 09/01/16 08:32 PM
S
S
Campgirl64: Regarding "Stay Together", that is especially good advice for those descending. It is those who are slower and left behind when coming down that trouble can start. I was suggesting that if someone did not feel well, but were well enough to hike alone, descending BEFORE the others might be acceptable. It is never a good idea to hike out and leave the weaker ones behind.

over1812, I think the suggestion of taking a picture of the permit was an alternative way to show the permit of your group. It is no more a sure thing than a tag with the number, or a note card.

roncruiser #48386 09/13/16 01:35 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Our trip is in 2 weeks.

Now I'm trying to get a handle on current overnight temps at High Camp.

Thanks again...

roncruiser #48387 09/13/16 02:15 PM
S
S
The CA state CDEC site has a weather station at Cottonwood Lakes, just south of Mt Whitney. It's a little lower than Trail Camp, but not by much:

Cottonwood Lakes, elev. 10150'   7-day Temperatures

Steve C #48392 09/14/16 06:32 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Steve.

Any idea about wind speed up around High Camp at night?

roncruiser #48393 09/14/16 07:45 AM
0-60. Just be prepared.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
roncruiser #48394 09/14/16 07:47 AM
S
S
It can get VERY windy at Trail Camp at any point in the day. You are far above the tree line. There are many camp spots with modest rock walls already built to help block the wind. The soil is not very deep in many spots, so you want to pick a good spot if you need to put in tent stakes. I had a spot with no soil and had to use rocks to anchor my tent guy lines. Bring ear plugs in case of noise from wind at night. As George Washington once said, "keep your powder dry and your guy lines tight."

Sauce Castillo #48412 09/15/16 05:18 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I can use a waterproof shell to block wind for my upper body. Can someone recommend a good pair of wind blocking pants for the lower body. Trying to get some ideas. Especially for higher winds during the hike during daylight hours.

Something breathable. Where if there's no wind, I won't overheat and sweat.

Just looking for ideas for wearable wind protection in general.

roncruiser #48425 09/17/16 05:01 AM
H
H
Originally Posted By: roncruiser
Can someone recommend a good pair of wind blocking pants for the lower body.

I just use my shorts (or thin nylon pants if really cold) with my Marmot Precip rain pants as my wind pants. Full Side zips make for ease of off/on and for ventilation if you are moving fast enough at that height to need it.

Harvey Lankford #48428 09/18/16 05:12 PM
R
OP Offline
R
This is great information. Thanks.

I have a Marmot Dryvent lower shell to block wind. Maybe a bit too thick but is also waterproof. I can unzip the legs to open it up for venting if needed.

I've not needed Gaiters but have never hiked in heavy rain. Are they a necessity in rain?

roncruiser #48429 09/18/16 06:04 PM
S
S
Returning to attempt the summit, first try in 1998. Friend got really sick at trail camp where we over nighted, I brought her down instead. This time we are overnighting at outpost camp. Day hiking from there to summit and back.14 miles. Do you think that's doable? Day hike the summit in 12 hours? So nervous. We've been hiking every weekend for 5 months, 6-12 mile hikes. 7-8500` elevations.

slucchesi #48430 09/19/16 07:58 AM
S
S
Lots of people camp at Outpost Camp and day hike the summit. Outpost is actually a better location for anyone who might be susceptible to the altitude. Camping at Trail Camp makes AMS more of a problem.

Steve C #48450 09/22/16 06:09 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Steve,

I arrive a couple days ahead of the group next Wednesday to secure the permit and hangout at Whitney Portal. Do I need to reserve a campsite or are walk-ins accepted? Even better, is it acceptable to sleep in my truck at a parking spot?

As far as the group is concerned, the majority of them will arrive, Thursday, a day before the hike begins. Will there be ample multi-day parking at the Whitney Portal trailhead, or should we make secondary plans for parking?

Trying to tie up all loose ends before the hike Friday morning at 0500. (Hiking to Trail Camp). Also, is 0500 a decent starting time?

Thanks....

roncruiser #48451 09/22/16 07:13 AM
With that much time to acclimate, at least some should be spent higher, at Horseshoe Meadows. One night at a time there, and it will do you more good than at WP.

There are a number of first come camping spots. Sleeping in vehicles is frowned upon but not often busted, but may not be possible at all with the construction going on. Don't count on it. Grab a campsite, and plan to pick up others in Lone Pine. There is likely to be no parking at the portal for overnighters.

0500 leaves plenty of time to get to Trail Camp: its 6 miles in, and a mile an hour is a pretty common pace on the trail.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #48452 09/22/16 07:59 AM
R
OP Offline
R
... sounds good. I'll plan on Horseshoe Meadows for a night.

Picking up the group in Lone Pine is a great idea. As for parking in Lone Pine, is there a designated parking lot or area for vehicles of hikers and overnighters?

Since I'll be camping at Whitney Portal and parking is not guaranteed, should I just reserve a campsite for a few days and leave my truck there until I get back?

roncruiser #48453 09/22/16 09:47 AM
S
S
Roncruiser, parking at the portal is your biggest issue. If you can reserve (or obtain when you get there) a camp site for the duration, that would be the very best, especially if it had several parking spots. The others in your group could then have a spot.

I am not very good at the campsite info issue. I know there are always plenty of walk-in sites at the trail head, but those are only good for one car the night before the hike (due to the one-car-per-permit restriction). I believe (but NOT sure) there are some first-come-first-serve (non-reservable) car-camping sites. Best info I have is what Versatile Fred wrote some years ago in the Orientation Notes.

If your group is all hiking on a single permit, then you will only have ONE permit to park at the trail head parking. So the additional cars will need to park elsewhere. That's why a camp site might work best.

They can also park down in Lone Pine, but then you have the transportation/shuttle issue to the Portal. Parking accommodations in Lone Pine are given at the bottom of the first post in the Parking and Road Construction thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard