Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need suggestion for next challenge
#48401 09/14/16 05:12 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hi: We did MR, which, because we trained well and acclimatized well, and have lots of experience, we found to be fairly easy.

Any ideas for something else that will be a nice challenge and a worthwhile destination (great views, good quality rock or trail)?? Our stipulations are: no ropes needed (good up to 4th class), day hike from trailhead or hut(no longer keen on camping).

We've done Long's Peak, Pike's Peak, Half Dome, 19 mile loop in Wyoming (I forget the name). I'm aiming for the Grand Canyon rim-to rim, but I'm hoping to get a spot at Phantom Ranch, since it's so beautiful there, I don't feel like rushing it.

What classic have we missed?

Thanks,

K

Re: Need suggestion for next challenge
kmcboogie #48402 09/14/16 07:55 PM
N
N
Using the same approach as for the MR, you could do the east ridge of Mt Russell.
That's a great 3rd to 4th class route. Check out http://www.sierradescents.com/climbing/russell/east-ridge.php for a good trip report

kmcboogie #48406 09/14/16 09:08 PM
S
S
These are memorable in my mind:
Glacier N.P. -- Highline trail: Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet, down to Swiftcurrent Lk/Many Glacier campground.

Yosemite's Four-Mile Trail to Glacier Point, then the Panorama Trail back to the Valley.

I've done several trans-Sierra day hikes, but that requires coordinating with another party going the opposite direction, and swapping cars.

If you haven't climbed Mt Shasta, it can be done in a long day.

Zion N.P. -- Narrows hike, top-to-bottom.

kmcboogie #48407 09/14/16 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: kmcboogie
Hi: We did MR,

Any ideas for something else that will be a nice challenge and a worthwhile destination (great views, good quality rock or trail)?? Our stipulations are: no ropes needed (good up to 4th class), day hike from trailhead or hut(no longer keen on camping).

We've done Long's Peak, Pike's Peak, Half Dome, 19 mile loop in Wyoming (I forget the name). I'm aiming for the Grand Canyon rim-to rim, but I'm hoping to get a spot at Phantom Ranch, since it's so beautiful there, I don't feel like rushing it.

What classic have we missed?

Classics, eh, but only day hikes? HD and Cloud;s rest, Dana from the parking lot, or El Cap,

Ok , Muir and almost all of the Sierra 14ers aside, we have about 52 left for you here in Colorado: look at Crestone Needle and Kit Carson from either Westcliffe or Crestone, , Bierstadt goes class 3 at the top, Oxford, Belford and Yale triple I think is a classic, also the Maroon Bells, Mount of the Holy Cross, oh hell look them up there are at least 25 that are considered classics

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #48408 09/15/16 03:45 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the great suggestions.

We should do another trip to Colorado (we did a great road trip there a few years ago). I've never been to Glacier NP, or more northern Cali, so Shasta sounds good too. We've been to Zion (but didn't do the narrows), I'm planning Cloud's Rest for my next trip to the area, perhaps in a year. I've been up El Cap (not the face, but the E. Buttress).

This should be enough to get me started! K

kmcboogie #48410 09/15/16 03:05 PM
Consider hiking to the Palisade Glacier above Big Pine. It's an 18 mile round trip that gains 4500'. The scenery is stunning: water falls, turquoise lakes, great views of Temple Crag. It's the largest glacier in the Sierra surrounded by 14,000' peaks. The last half-mile is a boulder scramble up a 28% grade. With global warming, the glacier is doomed to melt in the long run. Be one of the last people to see it.

RichardK #48411 09/15/16 03:41 PM
H
H
Yes this is a very beautiful hike, just make it up that last boulder climb and you can witness one of the most southern glaciers in the northern hemisphere. But don't worry, with scientists warning of a new ice age coming there should be plenty of time to see it!

Hey choose what you want to believe!

-Dan

RichardK #48413 09/15/16 05:54 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Looks gorgeous, thanks for the suggestion. K

Link Copied to Clipboard