Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2791 Members
13 Forums
4898 Topics
46627 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#48937 - 12/09/16 12:22 PM Using a hammock between Onion Valley and South Lake
warren Offline

Loc: Arkansas
This question is not about personal preferences between hammocks and tents/ground pads.

For hammock hangers on the forum-- can one hang successfully on any combination of rock crevices/tree; trees alone; or rock crevices alone at the most common overnight locations between Onion Valley and South Lake? Thanks.

#48938 - 12/09/16 12:49 PM Re: Using a hammock between Onion Valley and South Lake [Re: warren]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Warren, I'm not a hammock user myself, but in my opinion, it would be quite a hassle to try to find a camping spot where a hammock would be accommodated.

As for rock crevices: Most "common" overnight places don't have boulders and rocks large enough to use for hammock hanging.

While a few common places have enough trees, I just wouldn't count on finding them every place I wanted to camp, as you would need to try to camp below the tree line.

However, I just did a search on the Facebook "John Muir Trail" group and found this:
  Has anybody hiked the entire trail using a hammock?,
and several reported they were able to hike the entire trail. I suggest you read that thread.

#48985 - 12/15/16 01:56 PM Re: Using a hammock between Onion Valley and South Lake [Re: Steve C]
warren Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Thanks Steve...I'll read the link you provided.