Next Thread
Print Thread
Yosemite
#49084 01/16/17 04:21 PM
J
Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I love the Sierras. My wife and I have visited Yosemite for four straight summers now, climbed the Mt. Whitney trail two years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed doing Half Dome, Clouds Rest and the many other trails in Yosemite.
The one thing that has escaped us, is seeing the many beautiful waterfalls in Yosemite while they're flourishing. I think its been a combination of the lack of snowfall and the time of year that we've gone out there.
From what I read, this years snowfall has been huge and I now feel like its finally our chance to see Vernal, Nevada and Yosemite Falls at their peak (among others). I'm concerned though, that we may possibly be going too early and there'll still be a load of snow stopping us from doing Half Dome again.
I guess my questions are, am I correct that that snowpack is huge this year making for some pretty wild waterfalls AND, is going in the third week of June too early. Also, is that third week of June too early to climb Whitney again?
As always, any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Yosemite
Joe #49085 01/16/17 06:31 PM
Third week of June should normally be okay for the Half Dome cables to be up.

This past year they went up during Memorial Day weekend. They were down before I started my hike to Merced Lake and were up by the time I circled around and climbed Clouds Rest and Half Dome.

Two years ago they were up in early May due to the very low snowfall that winter during the drought. They won't be that early this year... 100% guaranteed. smile

Here's a table of the opening dates for the last 7 years:

Opening Dates (look under Trails section)

So in 2011 and 2010 the cables were up by late June. I think the next winter was the first signs of the drought, so with the large snowfall we've had already, late June is likely this year.

But you may have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.
I have a trip planned for the 4th of July weekend that includes climbing Half Dome at the end, so I'll be hoping right along with you. smile

Joe #49087 01/17/17 01:03 AM
S
S
Half Dome cables usually go up by Memorial weekend. (but I like to go up before the cables are "up", or after they're "down". The cables are there, but not elevated on their posts. So you can just pick up the cable and climb. They get a little heavy where the slope curves over the hump about 3/4 way up. Yosemite N.P. always recommends that you NOT go up the cables when they are down. But there are no permits required then, either.

Whitney will have snow on the trail in June, but many people will be going up. You will want at least microspikes, and maybe crampons if the snow is still heavy. There will be a well-beaten path through whatever snow is still there. Watch the current conditions thread in June to see.

Steve C #49095 01/17/17 02:39 PM
Long ago, I went up in April, before the cables were up. It is still one of the things I can't believe I actually did. For about 40 feet on that hump Steve describes, up high, the cables were frozen in the ice under about 6 inches of soft snow. I not only unclipped from the cables, but didn't even lift them (couldn't) out of the snow, but walked over about 40 feet of who knows what above who knows how much exposure with no traction.

Not recommended.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #49100 01/17/17 11:43 PM
S
S
eek eek eek crazy

Steve C #49105 01/18/17 02:21 PM
J
Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input, guys! You won't find me going up any cables prior to when they're attached to the poles. I need warm weather, sunshine, and secure cables before I set foot on that rock.
Also, one last question....we'd like to camp at Little Yosemite Valley the night before hitting the top of Half Dome and I know those permits get eaten up fast. Do we apply for those at the same time we apply for the Half Dome permits or is it a different procedure?
Thanks.

Joe #49107 01/18/17 11:01 PM
S
S
If you want to camp in LYV the night before, then your trip becomes an overnight backpack with Half Dome tacked on. It is NOT part of the Half Dome day hike permit lottery. I think you can apply for that permit 6 months (168 days) in advance using the Yosemite N.P. wilderness application and FAX.

I did that trip in Sept, 2015, and what I did was get a walk-in wilderness permit. They open at 8 AM, but don't do the Next Day LYV permits until 11. I got there and waited in line a little after 7 AM. There wasn't a high demand for the permit I wanted, and a few were available to start same-day (Friday). I then drove back home 2 hours, and returned the next day to start the hike with my daughter -- she was in school on the Friday I got the permit. They just don't make getting permits very easy.

Link Copied to Clipboard