Next Thread
Print Thread
Horseshoe Meadow Road Damage
#49382 03/14/17 12:16 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
These pictures posted by Inyo National Forest on FB.

Quote:
Horseshoe Meadows Road Update from Inyo County Sheriff's Office and U.S. Forest Service - Inyo National Forest

Substantial rain and snow from the atmospheric river events that took place in January and February of 2017 caused significant damage on Horseshoe Meadows Road. In one particular area, weather induced erosion has reduced the road to an unstable and unsafe single-lane.

The Inyo County Road Department has inspected the road damage that can currently be accessed and is in the process of determining the scope of the project, including the time estimate involved in the required road repair. At this time repair work will involve stabilizing the roadbed, stabilizing the shoulder, and preventative measures that would reduce further erosion.

Currently Horseshoe Meadows Road is under normal winter closure; however, it is important that the public is aware that this road is unsafe. As the project progresses more information will be released, including the projected opening of the road.
Thank you for your patience.

Re: Horseshoe Meadow Road Damage
Steve C #49392 03/17/17 07:00 AM
Where is this big washout? SO site is pretty vague.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #49499 03/30/17 11:24 AM
Have reliable information that this is about a mile above the De La Cour Ranch, about 9 miles out of town and 12 miles from HM. There are also two trails to HM, one up the jeep road about a mile below De LA Cour, road is good for a couple of miles then trail to Golden Trout Camp and new Army Pass Trail another 5 miles from road end. ALso Cottonwood Road, off 395 south of HM Road anding on Cottonwood Creek about 5 miles from the upper stretch of HM road about 2.5 miles from Horseshoe. SO there may be alternatives, but not great ones.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #49500 03/31/17 08:41 AM
P
P
Considering the pictures and the damage (steep slope), it sure doesn't look like the road will be open by Memorial Weekend.

I usually spend a week up at the Portal with a couple trips to Horseshoe Meadows for hiking and to help PCT hikers down to Lone Pine.

I wonder what the PCT hikers will do if they can't exit Horseshoe for supplies. I guess they'll have to heavily resupply at Kennedy Meadows.

Interesting though, the winter of 2011, the road to Horseshoe Meadows didn't open until, I believe mid-June.

paul

Paul #49503 03/31/17 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul
...Interesting though, the winter of 2011, the road to Horseshoe Meadows didn't open until, I believe mid-June.

paul
That's possible. From my logs I did Whitney on May 7, 2011, but getting to Horseshoe Meadows is a few thousand feet higher than the Portal, and the exposure is different.

I read Saltydog's suggested workarounds for alternative routes, and frankly am a bit dubious. I lived in Inyokern for several years, and made dozens of trips to Horseshoe Meadows, so am somewhat familiar with the area. I've hiked to Owens Point a couple of times - it's on the ridge over looking the drainages above the De La Cour Ranch - and listened to the stories of cattle being driven over the edge (it's about 11K') and the dubious survival rate. It's damn steep. I can't imagine trying to hike up it. And have hiked (and done trail maintenance) in the Cottonwood canyon area he mentioned. Years ago there was a sluice from about Cottonwood Meadows down to the valley floor, and pinyon pines are cut and sent down the sluice. The old sawmill is downhill, just east of the existing road. Once in the valley the logs were converted to charcoal, and this was transported across Owens Lake (yup, it really did have water at one time) to the silver smelter at the Cerro Gordo mine located in the Inyo Mountains on the other side of the Owens Valley. Little remains of the sluice (rot and avalanches) but as you work your way up the canyon you can sometimes see remains. You can drive up the road as LADPW maintains it to a certain point, and then begin the hike. But - about all I've wanted to do in a day is about 3.5 miles in before heading out. The canyon is beautiful, with an elevation gain of about 1K'/mile. 3.5 miles in would still leave about 2 miles of hiking and 2K' of gain to reach the road. So, if you had 2 vehicles, a great day hike would be to spot one car up on the road, and then drive around and start the hike at the end of the pavement near the LADPW building.

In any case - if it were me, and I really wanted to get to CM before the road was repaired, I'd drive as far as I could on the highway, and hoof it up the road. Any other approach would be its own adventure.

Paul #49508 04/01/17 09:01 AM
Check out where a jeep road hits HM road about a mile below De Le Cour. Appears to be drivable for another mile or so west from there. That's about 4 miles from the Army/New Army Pass Trail, and only a few more from HM. ABout 6000 feet up and 1000 down.

SPOTMe!

Link Copied to Clipboard