Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Car camping at Lone Pine or Portal...opinions?
#49668 04/24/17 09:13 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Would be great if I could get some opinions.

It's been about 5 years since my last day hike, and that time I stayed in a lone pine hotel before/after my hike.

This time we plan to car camp and I just booked a spot at the portal car campground. After reading a bit, it sounds like that campground will be fairly active(noisy) through the night, so I'm thinking we might book at the lone pine campground in stead. Also I don't recall how far the portal car campground is from the trail. Is that a short walk? LOL pretty funny asking that since we're signing up for a 22 mile trek smile

Anyone have any experience with either car camp site? Any suggestions?

Last edited by jondotcom; 04/24/17 09:23 PM.
Re: Car camping at Lone Pine or Portal...opinions?
jondotcom #49669 04/24/17 10:20 PM
R
R
I assume by "portal car campground" you mean the federal Whitney Portal Campground. It's about 1/2 mile from the Mt Whitney trail head. No need to walk, you can drive to and park at the Portal. (If you're not camping a second night after your hike, you'll have to break camp, pack up, and move your car anyway).

I've camped there twice - once starting my hike at 3:30AM and once starting at 7AM. Never have I noticed any noisy activity. There will be late arrivals and early departures but my experience is that the campers are aware and considerate.

According to the Rec.gov website the Lone Pine Campground is 7 miles from the trail head. I've never camped/been there. It appears to be some distance from the Whitney Portal Road.

Another option is the walk-in campsites right at the Portal. There you might notice more activity because there are many hikers coming and going who are not camping there. The sites there are very convenient - always available, very close to trail head, Portal Store, restroom, water faucet, garbage cans, and bear lockers. I have camped there a couple of times and experienced no problems. I think the fee is $12 per night (1 night only) and the sites are small only big enough for one tent (but there are plenty)

RenoFrank #49686 04/25/17 08:26 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks a million. That answers my questions.

We're planning on staying at the whitney portal campground the night before and after our hike. I had assumed the noise concerns some have mentioned about the portal walk-in campgrounds might apply to the "drive-in" campground. That was my only concern.

Cheers!

RenoFrank #49689 04/26/17 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank

Another option is the walk-in campsites right at the Portal. There you might notice more activity because there are many hikers coming and going who are not camping there. The sites there are very convenient - always available, very close to trail head, Portal Store, restroom, water faucet, garbage cans, and bear lockers. I have camped there a couple of times and experienced no problems. I think the fee is $12 per night (1 night only) and the sites are small only big enough for one tent (but there are plenty)

Been there many times and never found the beer lockers.

Last edited by wagga; 04/26/17 12:05 AM. Reason: BEAR! never mind.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
jondotcom #49690 04/26/17 09:18 AM
Spending the night at the higher campground will help you acclimatize.

bobpickering #49691 04/26/17 11:14 AM
H
H
Originally Posted By: bobpickering
Spending the night at the higher campground will help you acclimatize.

Also please catch up on "last day hike was 5 years ago"

Link Copied to Clipboard