Next Thread
Print Thread
Recommended Shoes for mid June day hike to Mt Whitney
#49760 05/05/17 10:17 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Hello

I plan to do day hike in mid June to Mt Whitney. I am used to lightweight shoes like Solomon X Ultra Mid II GTX. What shoes are recommended for mid June hike? Kindly help. Hiking shoes, backpacking shoes or mountaineering? Do they need to be waterproof and insulated?

I would like to thank everyone who keep posting valuable information. This forum has helped me and many more.

Thanks

Last edited by hikingSierra; 05/05/17 10:24 AM.
Re: Recommended Shoes for mid June day hike to Mt Whitney
hikingSierra #49761 05/05/17 01:05 PM
You'll want boots or high top runners like these Salomons:
http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-lab-x-alp-carbon-2-gtx.html?article=393410

Make sure your crampons/microspikes will fit on them. There's going to be a lot of snow in June.

goldscott #49764 05/06/17 10:16 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for replying. So do you recommend mountaineering boots or backpacking boots with waterproof feature is enough? How about Salomon Quest 4D II GTX ??
https://www.rei.com/product/883200/salomon-quest-4d-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-womens

Thanks again.

hikingSierra #49765 05/06/17 10:19 PM
S
S
HS, I'm kinda cheap, and try to get by with what I have. If those Salomon X Ultra Mid II GTX have worked for you, and they are still waterproof like they claim, I think I would just go with those. Take extra socks to change into if your feet get wet.

I have hiked a number of mountains where my crampons have really helped. I've always used my hiking boots. The strap-ons work quite satisfactorily for anything as steep as Whitney has to offer. Now, if you are doing some serious steep or nearly vertical ice climbing, these would NOT work. But for hiking places like Whitney, they work just fine.

I would spend my money on a good pair of strap-on crampons and some gaiters.

An ice axe (and some knowledge about using it) is highly recommended.

You might be able to rent the crampons and gaiters at Elevation in Lone Pine. I don't think they rent the axe.

Last edited by Steve C; 05/07/17 10:44 AM. Reason: added my personal experience
hikingSierra #49766 05/06/17 11:50 PM
C
C
hikingSierra,

If you are going to use crampons you should put them on a boot that is designed to be used with crampons. Those Soloman's you posted a link to are clearly not designed for use with crampons. Read the manufacturers specs and if necessary you can call the company to confirm.

You should be looking at a real mountaineering boot. La Sportiva and Lowa are 2 excellent brands. La Sportiva makes the Trango and many other models. Lowa makes many models. Look at their web site under mountaineering: https://www.lowaboots.com/. I have used the Cevedale and Mountain Expert.

I needed to get rental avalanche beacons earlier this winter and found them at Sierra Mountaineering International. They're a guide service in Bishop. When I was there I saw they also rent boots, crampons, ice axes, helmets and more.

hikingSierra #49768 05/07/17 10:57 AM
Light boots or trail runners with micro spikes are fine on soft snow or low-angle slopes. Micro spikes really suck if you end up descending after the snow starts freezing up. Bring real crampons and wear boots designed to work with real crampons. Better to carry a little extra weight than star in a SAR video.

Link Copied to Clipboard