Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Griffith Peak Trip Report
#49645 04/23/17 05:02 PM
nyker Offline OP
OP Offline
Finally was able to get there! For those who haven't climbed around that area, its a pretty cool climb, I posted a report on it with some pics:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=17717

Re: Griffith Peak Trip Report
nyker #49797 05/14/17 12:05 PM
J
J
Climbed Griffith yesterday via the avalanche chute... was pretty difficult.

Started about 6am... the snow was firm from the night and other than the angle the climb was straight forward. By the time to the sun came up and temps rose, the last 1000 feet became sketchy. Saw some pretty awesome mountain lion tracks which made me remember I was in cat country. I made summit about 930am. I went to the left of the peak, up a separate chute instead of all the way up the avalanche chute to the ridge line, due to over hanging snow and ice.

On decent, thats when all the fun began. I felt comfortable enough glissading on my butt but due to all the avalanche debris, it made it pretty hairy. Not sure how many pine cones and rocks I ran over, one rock really got my backside good. Slipped a few times due to the snow conditions. Also water is starting to flow pretty well. The 4 or 5 falls on the route had melted away a substitution amount of snow that laid in front of them when going up. I also worried about the snow being washed out underneath the top layer of snow near the water falls... did a couple of 3 to 5 foot jumps from the water falls to snowpack and in to a self arrest.

A few other sketchy things happened too, but thats due to me not following my GPS route down.

Good training but in my opinion, it is getting late in the year for this route.

Link Copied to Clipboard