Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mount Whitney JUNE 27 - DAY HIKE - FIRST TIME -HELP PLEASE ;
#50108 06/13/17 01:08 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone! smile

Permit day to hike Mount Whitney - JUNE, Tuesday 27/2017 -
The trail, we're NOT mountaineers!
Husband and myself have been training every day 8 to 13 miles w/ 20 pounds backpack for a month now and we have hike others places in USA, Europe, South America. I'm 44, husband 50yrs. We're both in good health & workout 5 to 6X a week. Fit and doing serious training for the last month. Point is, we're training our bodies and have good gears, however not much experience hiking w/ snow, high altitude and M. Whitney is our first time. Would like to know if anymore will be hiking at the same day and could at least to start with us? We'll turn around if we don't feel safe. We are a responsible couple.

thanks Sincerely, Nayara Jones smile

Re: Mount Whitney JUNE 27 - DAY HIKE - FIRST TIME -HELP PLEASE ;
Nayara Jones #50109 06/13/17 01:41 PM
F
Fan Offline
F
Nayara, good luck to you and your husband! You might have better luck posting in the General Discussion forum rather than in the Trip Reports forum here.

Nayara Jones #50123 06/14/17 12:14 PM
S
S
Hello Nayara,
I think it's good that you're taking this endeavor seriously, because although Whitney trail is not technical, it by no means is a walk in the park. I think physical conditioning and altitude conditioning is vital. 8 to 13 miles with loaded pack is a good start, but it would be better if it has hills with couple of thousand feet of elevation gain. Or you can train on a stairmaster with loaded pack. Acclimatizing to high altitude is also very important. If you have mountains higher than 10,000' in your area, spending a day up there one to two weeks prior to your Whitney date would help. If not, you may want to arrive at Whitney Portal day or two earlier and camp there, and maybe day hike to Lonepine Lake day before the big hike.

As for the trail, you will still find much snow at the end of June, but if they open 99 switchbacks, you may not need mountaineering skills or gears. Considering that 1000-2000 people will use that trail from now to June 27, I'm hoping the trail is well carved out by then.

Many start their day hike at 1-3AM. If you get to the trail head about that time, You will see other day hikers with their headlamps.

I plan to hike the trail on June 20th, and will post the conditions then.

Good luck!

Steven H. #50164 06/16/17 09:43 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks Steve for replying to my email! Really appreciate all the feedback!

We live in Columbus, OHIO! We don't have mountains and elevation here is ridicules too! However, we'll arriving 2 days prior for acclimation, hoping that 2 days will do the trick!

About training, besides the hiking we have done Stairmasters without backpacking, but we'll add IT this next week! Thanks for the tip!

I'll continue following you and others for more update. Good luck hiking on the 20th, wish you the best and that you make to the Summit!

Thanks a lot! wink

Nayara Jones

Fan #50165 06/16/17 09:47 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks! I'll repost on General Discussion Forum, not using the tool as I should! crazy !! Appreciate the suggestion/help! thanks

Nayara Jones #50179 06/16/17 10:01 PM
S
S
Nayara, the "river" is a stream. Pictures in the Current Conditions thread show it. There is even a way to bypass that first crossing -- I posted links to the description of the old trail just below the second picture. I think in the next few weeks, I'd opt to go up the old trail.

Also understand that "bethjanelle" who made it look so easy is not your average hiker. Note how they caught and passed other hikers -- they were really in shape and fast. Even taking only microspikes is an exception to what most are doing.

Your question regarding gaiters -- yes, you should have them. Call Elevation Climbing in Lone Pine -- see if they rent them. If you "posthole" -- your foot plunges deep into snow because it is soft and slushy, and there is a hollow space underneath -- when you pull out of the hole, your show will scoop a handful of snow inside. After several of these, you will have cold wet feet!

Steve C #50189 06/18/17 08:54 AM
N
OP Offline
N
THANKS AGAIN STEVE! Appreciate it! wink

Nayara Jones #50207 06/19/17 10:40 PM
R
R
It's good that you're going a couple of days early. You want to sleep as high as you can. Try and get a campsite at Whitney Portal. I prefer a real bed, so we acclimate in a condo at Mammoth, also 8000'+.

Steve C #50755 07/10/17 02:40 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Steve,

I just want to thank you for your attention responding to my questions and emails. I also want to tell you that my husband Gregory and myself we SUCCEED to the summit on June 27, 2017. It took us 17hrs and 24 minutes. I crossed the Lone Pine / North Fork 4 times! That creek was so freaking scary and cold for me, but I WOW! ;D

I tried to send you photos, because with my broken English; PHOTOS talks more than words! However, I don't know how to do it over here. Anyway, we did it and I would like to thank you and everyone on WhitneyZone for helping us to accomplish a great adventure! Love your website and will recommend to other!

My Faceboook account is NAYARA X. JONES - if you add me as a friend you'll be able to see my gopro homemade video and some nice photos from Mount Whitney and Yosemite Area.

Thank you so much for everything! Sincerely,

Nayara X. Jones

Last edited by Nayara Jones; 07/10/17 02:42 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard