Next Thread
Print Thread
Gaia GPS APP and Cell Phone Coverage
#50232 06/20/17 05:30 PM
M
Mark K Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Looking for beta on Gaia GPS in airplane mode and US Cellular coverage on Mt Whitney Trail. Have an iPhone5s with version 10.3.2. Not looking to call home, but planning for the full spectrum of conditions to achieve a peak experience.

Thnx for any input.

Regards

Re: Gaia GPS APP and Cell Phone Coverage
Mark K #50238 06/20/17 09:25 PM
Not sure what you mean 'beta'.

Cell coverage: You may get some at the very top (since you have line of sight down to Lone Pine). Unless they've added towers in the last two years (I hope not), I don't recall getting any coverage anywhere along the trail.

You'll want to download all the maps you want to use ahead of time. Gaia GPS works fine offline as long as you download maps ahead of time.

Sometimes I find that the GPS signal is a little more accurate if I keep the cell radio on (Airplane Mode off). But you eat more battery doing that.

You'll want some additional batteries to recharge your iPhone.

Also, don't rely on the GPS. Have a paper map and know how to use it in case you get lost, the phone runs out of justice, or you drop it off the edge of Whitney's summit.

Mark K #50240 06/20/17 10:00 PM
S
S

Mark K #50246 06/21/17 08:34 AM
S
S
No idea about Gaia.

As for coverage, (Like Wandering Jim says) wherever you have line-of-sight with Lone Pine, you should have some signal.

In my experience (I use Verizon) the areas you can get service on the Mount Whitney Main Trail (MWMT) are as follows:

- N. Fork Lone Pine Creek to TH.
- The windows between the MWMT-JMT junction and the summit.
- The eastern edge of the summit.

The Mountaineer's Route has better cell reception:

- N. Fork of Lone Pine Creek between the MWMT and LBSL.
- Spotty coverage at UBSL.
- Mountaineers chute proper.
- The eastern edge of the summit.

I travel solo a lot, I give a detailed itinerary and carry an emergency PLB. However, when I can, I check my phone periodically to text my emergency contacts updates. As such I've tested it on Whitney a few times.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Snacking Bear #50260 06/21/17 12:33 PM
W
W
I used Gaia on my recently climb on the 17th the entire way through, on Airplane Mode. Recorded my every mode never had any GPS signal lost.

Yes, there is cell reception at the Summit, but is spotty but I was able to post on IG/FB where I was sitting at the summit.

For the most part, trail is straight forward (now, at least). It wasn't, couple weeks ago, when I went. I needed the GPS for a little bit when I go to the Mirror Lake area heading up to the left of the rocks but other than what, pretty visible and clear.

Link Copied to Clipboard