Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt. Langley - Cornice Conditions
#50253 06/21/17 10:04 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello! Has anyone done Mt. Langley this year? I've heard there's a cornice on Army Pass, making ascent to the summit difficult or impossible. I don't have much in the way of technical climbing skills so I'd like to know if I'd be able to get up there, or if there's an alternate route I could try?

Thanks!

Re: Mt. Langley - Cornice Conditions
tom kent #50263 06/21/17 03:13 PM
C
C
Hi Tom, when are you planning on doing the hike?

I started a similar thread on HST recently: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15995

One suggestion from the ranger on the phone some weeks ago was to 'start via Cottonwood Pass and circle around Cirque Peak', presumably continuing on PCT past Cottonwood Pass and then joining the trail that heads back towards NAP.

I'd also messaged Inyo NF on Facebook, here's their response:
--
Me: Hello, do you have any ideas on current conditions at New Army Pass? I was hoping to hike to Mount Langley via NAP on July 1st, but I heard that NAP has a lot of snow and a treacherous cornice that makes it risky to use. If so, is there an alternate relatively snow-free route to Mt Langley from the Horseshoe Meadows trailhead?

InyoNF: Our last report is from 6/8/17. New Army Pass still has a lot of snow half way up and a big cornice across the top, difficult stream xing on the trail to the pass after the split with Cottonwood Lake trail. I don't believe there will be a snow free option July 1.
--

Link Copied to Clipboard