Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need advice from experienced hikers. Whitney June 27-28.
#50271 06/22/17 09:11 AM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi everyone! My name is Azat, I am 26 y.o. and this is my first time I am going to Whitney June 27-28th on overnight trail. First, I am looking for anyone who wants to join me (I am alone for now). Second, I want to share with experienced hikers my plan, so I am looking for any corrections and mistakes I may have.

In January I fell in love with Denali and I decided that I will go there next year. And to prepare to this summit I am going 2 times to the Whitney this year. I started actively planning hike to Whitney couple months ago. I go to hikes every week (with weights). Last weekend I did 8 miles, 1700 feet gain elevation with 30 pounds. Also I am training in the gym, doing a lot of cardio (stairs and running machine with highest incline).

There are some of my concerns/questions:

1. First night. I am traveling from Venice Beach, so it’s 0 feet elevation and I wanted to get sleep somewhere at high altitude. The question is where to stay?
- Is is allowed to park in Whitney Portal and sleep in the car?
- Is it allowed to camp near the car? Whitney Portal is about 8k feet and I definitely wanted to get acclimate there before my first day hike.
- Or should I go to 4k feet and sleep at hotel in Lon Pine? For example Whitney portal hostel? 4k feet - will it be enough to acclimate first day? I am planning to hike up to 12k feet and camp there.

2. Should I really consider crampons and ice axe? I have waterproof Vasquez breeze III GTX http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/mens-footwear/breeze-iii-gtx-brn-oliv-bunge-07190
3. Is it better to take all my water for 2 days or is it better to buy filters and purify water from the rivers?
4. Should I take warm clothes such as gloves/warm hat/warm jacket? This will definitely add a lot of weight. So I want to bring as less weight as possible.
5. I read that a lot of people doing glissade of the chute. If I will do it too, will it lead to my trail back? I don’t want to be lost.
6. When people camp at whitney trail camp, do they leave their camping gear there before summit and then take it on the way back or they take it with them to the summit?
7. Getting permit. Is there a way to get permit a day or two before my hike? I checked that office which gives a permits works from 9am to 5pm. 9am is very late for me. If I will get permit at 9am on my first day hike, I will start my hike very late.
And also if I will stay at Whitney portal to acclimate, that means that I will need to go back to 4k feet to get permit, so it's wasting of time.

Re: Need advices from experienced hikers. Whitney June 27-28.
Azat #50272 06/22/17 09:47 AM
M
M
sleep in your car at the Portal or up at Horseshoe Meadow's 10,000 foot high meadow. Save your money.

Yes on crampons and ice axe you will need it going up and down the chute.

I filter water and theirs plenty of it.

Last edited by Mauricio Puerto; 06/22/17 09:48 AM.
Azat #50273 06/22/17 10:01 AM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
6. When people camp at whitney trail camp, do they leave their camping gear there before summit and then take it on the way back or they take it with them to the summit?
7. Getting permit. Is there a way to get permit a day or two before my hike? I checked that office which gives a permits works from 9am to 5pm. 9am is very late for me. If I will get permit at 9am on my first day hike, I will start my hike very late.
And also if I will stay at Whitney portal to acclimate, that means that I will need to go back to 4k feet to get permit, so it's wasting of time.

Azat #50274 06/22/17 10:57 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Azat
1. First night. I am traveling from Venice Beach, so it’s 0 feet elevation and I wanted to get sleep somewhere at high altitude. The question is where to stay?
- Is is allowed to park in Whitney Portal and sleep in the car?
- Is it allowed to camp near the car? Whitney Portal is about 8k feet and I definitely wanted to get acclimate there before my first day hike.
- Or should I go to 4k feet and sleep at hotel in Lon Pine? For example Whitney portal hostel? 4k feet - will it be enough to acclimate first day? I am planning to hike up to 12k feet and camp there.

You should sleep as high as possible for acclimatization. Drive up to Horseshoe Meadows and spend the night at 10,000'. There are plenty of spaces near the parking area -- it's wide open and flat, camping one night only.

For your information, there are plenty of walk-in sites at Whitney Portal, just below the trail head, above the overflow parking lot.

Other questions:
#2: You're going to need them on Denali, so take them and try them out.
#3. I just dip and drink -- no filtering, no treating. It has always worked just fine.
  *  Be sure to carry ~3 L from Trail Camp, finish one at Trail Crest, #2 at summit, #3 is for the hike down.
#4: Absolutely!
#5: It takes you back to Trail Camp. Don't glissade on ice!!! Don't glissade with crampons! Use ice axe for a brake.
#6: Leave it.
#7: Check again--don't they open at 8? Or... call wilderness permit office number and ask that they leave it in the overnight box. (but you don't need a super early start if you're camping at Trail Camp.)

Steve C #50275 06/22/17 11:14 AM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Drive up to Horseshoe Meadows and spend the night at 10,000'. There are plenty of spaces near the parking area -- it's wide open and flat, camping one night only.

Thanks,
Can you please explain more about Horseshoe Meadows, I found only Horseshoe Meadows RD. So is it a road? And you are able to park there and camp near road?

Mauricio Puerto #50276 06/22/17 11:21 AM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Mauricio Puerto
sleep in your car at the Portal or up at Horseshoe Meadow's 10,000 foot high meadow.

Does it require any parking permits? and is there camping allowed near the car?

Azat #50277 06/22/17 12:17 PM
M
M

Steve C #50281 06/22/17 01:37 PM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
(but you don't need a super early start if you're camping at Trail Camp.)

I read people starting the trail around 7 am and reach Trail camp around 3pm.

So if I will start around 10am, it's big risk to not make it by daylight. (also there is apossibility that it will be windy at trail camp as per others reported)

Mauricio Puerto #50282 06/22/17 01:38 PM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Mauricio Puerto
THanks this is helpful

Azat #50285 06/22/17 01:52 PM
S
S
Drive up to Horseshoe Meadows and spend the night at 10,000'. There are plenty of spaces near the parking area -- it's wide open and flat, camping one night only.

Thanks,
Can you please explain more about Horseshoe Meadows, I found only Horseshoe Meadows RD. So is it a road? And you are able to park there and camp near road?

Here it is on Google Maps. (Google has a problem finding the right place--too many Horseshoe meadows spots)

Does it require any parking permits? and is there camping allowed near the car?

No parking permit. Self-pay envelopes at a kiosk/sign. Both at Whitney Portal and at HM.

Steve C #50300 06/23/17 10:03 AM
A
Azat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you! Ideally, I will go and camp there and nearby from Saturday to Monday and then I will go to Whitney on Tuesday. It should help to be restful and acclimatized.

Re: Need advice from experienced hikers. Whitney June 27-28.
Azat #50303 06/23/17 10:47 AM
S
S
Thank you! Ideally, I will go and camp there and nearby from Saturday to Monday and then I will go to Whitney on Tuesday. It should help to be restful and acclimatized.

If you're going for three nights, you don't NEED to go to Horseshoe Meadows for acclimatization. I use HM for more of a short-term 'extreme' acclimatization overnighter. You should at least sleep as high as Whitney Portal for the 3 nights.

But Horseshoe Meadows has a nice easy hike to Trail Peak, if you want to spend a day (or overnight as well). Here's a link for you: Acclimation hikes

Link Copied to Clipboard