Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
July 7th Summit
#50697 07/08/17 10:59 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all:

I was able to successfully summit Mt. Whitney with two friends on Friday, July 7th. I personally have hiked Mt. Whitney over 20 times with approximately 20 successful summits. Here is my recent trip report (7/7/17):

1. An ice ax is a MUST whether you take the switchbacks or the main chute.
2. I decided to change my plans from taking the Chute to the Switchbacks after observing my two friends' condition on the way up to trailcammp (we spent the night at trail camp) - they were extremely wiped out from the physical exertion of carrying their packs up to trailcamp (the two large snow fields didn't help).
3. The decision turned out to be a good one but a word to experienced hikers: don't adjust your hiking style to accommodate newbies. I was fearful having my two friends cross a snowfield due to their inexperience with ice axes/self-arresting but scrambling up rocks to go over the snowfield proved to be about just as dangerous!
4. Glissading down the Chute: There are several large rocks in the large "tunnel" that everyone is taking down the chute. Please keep in mind that a lot of fatalities on the mountain occur as a result of blindly doing what everyone else is doing. I used PERFECT self-arresting techniques with no success in slowing down my speed. All I accomplished was having my ice-ax slide through slushy snow. Both of my friends (newbies) dislocated their shoulders and lost their ice-axes in the chute (taking the large, indented path in the chute that I termed the "tunnel" above). I strongly believe that if I would have just started a new glissading pathway on the chute neither one of them would have been injured or lost their ax. Of course, if one of them would have veered left or right into a rock field I would feel more guilty than a dislocated shoulder.
5. DO NOT GLISSADE DOWN THE CHUTE if you are not confident enough to start a new pathway down or follow a lightly used indentation. DO NOT USE the "TUNNEL" (my term). I guarantee there will be at least one fatality in the "tunnel" if it is not closed or people stop taking it....there is just too much snow that has been eroded and this is the most dangerous pathway down from trailcrest that I have witnessed in my 20+ years on the mountain.
6. On the final path to the summit the trail will stop at a large snowfield. Turn Right BEFORE the snowfield and scramble up some rocks and find the trail to the summit. Wait there, take a water break, eat....do whatever to make sure you see people coming down the trail....do not start randomly scrambling up the rocks.... you will waste precious energy and time (the danger level is rather low once you leave the main trail upwards but don't go on a wild goose chase). There is a small, safe snow field you have to cross AFTER you scramble up the rocks....but I would wait until you see someone coming down to VERIFY you are on the right path if you are not ABSOLUTELY SURE. However, if you attempt to cross the snowfield and continue on the main trail (not turning right and heading up BEFORE the snowfield) please look left and see where you will end up if you slip and slide down the back face of Whitney (hint: not far from Guitar Lake!).
7. Safe travels to everyone....it is my personal goal to prevent any more unnecessary deaths on Whitney. Feel free to ask me any and all questions about more trip details. Also, checkout my posting under "General Discussion" to read my thoughts on the stupidity on the mountain that NEVER ceases to amaze me!

Re: July 7th Summit
mountainman99 #50707 07/09/17 09:36 AM
K
K
To all of you newbies. I'm one of mountyainman99's newbie friends that was able to summit on July 7th. We encountered a few hikers during our descent that had never hiked Mt. Whitney, who seemed oblivious to this undertaking. It's not a quest to be taken lightly, it's a serious physical endeavor. Even if your an experienced hiker (which I'm not) my recommendation would be to seek out a hiking partner that has experience on this mountain, especially considering the current conditions. No amount of research can substitute for hands on knowledge. Even with mountainman99, we encountered dicey situations. The fact that both of us newbies were able to summit (relatively unhurt) is mostly due to our experienced hiking partner. I'm not posting this to scare or alarm anyone. I'm sure under optimal conditions thousands of people safely and successfully hike Mt. Whitney annually. IMO, your goal should be to safety enjoy the experience, and if a situation arises that you can't summit, don't despair. Mt. Whitney will be there for your next try.

Killercadougan #50713 07/09/17 03:25 PM
S
S
Two questions:
Were you able to retrieve the lost ice axes?

Did the shoulder problems require medical attention?

Appreciate the reports.

Steve C #50718 07/09/17 10:19 PM
M
OP Offline
M
No, the ice axes were not retrieved but we ran into a Ranger on the way down (Anya?) and told her about them.....I was very concerned that they may severely injure someone. We also told everyone we ran into on the way down and several people were going to glissade down the chute without ice axes so hopefully 2 of them would get 2 brand new ice axes as a gift (they didn't listen to my warning to avoid the "tunnel").

Both of the shoulder injuries were significant but did not require immediate medical attention....MRIs will reveal the extent of the damage and whether or not surgeries are needed.

mountainman99 #50741 07/10/17 11:16 AM
J
JMH Offline
J
Killerca-

Im glad to hear you guys are ok for the most part (shoulder MRI pending)

I have advice to newbies: DO NOT learn to hike in snow or ice on Mt. Whitney. Take a class or practise somewhere else.

Bob West made two posts on this site on June 23rd about crampons,self arrest, and etc. Start by reading those.

I admire to a point the guts some of the people on this site have and I respect everyones choice to decide what is safe for themselves so this is just the opinion of of an older "newbie chicken" and nothing more: lost ice axes and dislocated shoulders from flying down the chute that is wild. I summited in the summer of 2016 in dry conditions on the main trail and I was half scared to death.

Link Copied to Clipboard