Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
July 9th Successful Summit (Day Hike)
#50746 07/10/17 12:28 PM
I
iopk Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hey guys, so we successfully summited yesterday (July 9th) and what an amazing feat it was!

1. The chute is definitely getting extremely slushy. We began the chute around 7am and even then we had to kick in almost every step even if it was defined.

2. Ice axe is highly, if not absolutely recommended. The switchbacks are probably 95% good to go right now, but the top is still iced out according to the rangers AND folks who took the switchbacks the entire way up.

3. Glissading down the chute is by far the absolute best, BUT PLEASE know how to glissade properly especially down the "super chute" that's just right off the crest trail. When you glissade down the super chute YOU WILL go extremely fast. Knowing how to properly slow yourself down or just self-arresting when you feel as if you're losing control WILL save your life. We saw a dude glissade down from the switchbacks with terrible technique to the point where I was worried he'd injure himself. He was jumping up while glissading, letting his legs fling everywhere, etc.

4. Do not underestimate the stream crossing, especially the second one from Whitney Portal, it's extremely deep right now. I recommend bringing actual water shoes.

I'm here to answer any more questions too!

Re: July 9th Successful Summit (Day Hike)
iopk #50756 07/10/17 02:59 PM
S
S
This is the first year there has been only one glissade trough (or "super chute" ad iopk calls it). Another report talked about two hikers new to glissading both losing their ice axes in the chute AND both dislocating their shoulders.

I have also seen it reported that this "super chute" has some rocks protruding in the bottom that could really hurt. Iopk, did you find those?

In all the other years, there were multiple glissade tracks. I don't know why people don't try to make a new one this year!

Steve C #50759 07/10/17 03:39 PM
B
B
While on Inyo SAR I was part of the team recovered the dead body, in that chute, of an experience climber, who lost control of his glissade and crashed into a rock.

I wish folks would stop encouraging glissading; it can be dangerous. Walking down, while not as much fun, is far safer.

Bob West #50773 07/10/17 06:14 PM
I
iopk Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I think that's a fair point Bob. Perhaps I shouldn't outright encourage glissading, rather I should recommend it for individuals who understand the risk and are experienced with the proper technique for glissading.

Steve C #50774 07/10/17 06:19 PM
I
iopk Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hi Steve,

On the way up, I did see a rock protruding from one of the troughs, though, that was not the large trough in which I glissading down (of which, the trough was deeper and was perhaps the main one everyone was using).

Toward the middle of the chute, there is a bed of rocks, but none that was protruding from the trough. Towards the end there was a small rock protruding, but nothing that seemed dangerous, in fact, I just slid right past it, lifting my left butt cheek and avoided the hazard.

I read the report of the other individuals who lost their ice axe and one dislocating his shoulder, luckily that did not happen to me. Though I will say that I've gone to mountaineering school and ice school, so I'm pretty experienced with my ice equipment, so perhaps that played into my luck with not losing my ice axe.

Link Copied to Clipboard