Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3219 Members
13 Forums
5296 Topics
49353 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#50856 - 07/12/17 03:08 PM Question on Clothing
14ers Offline

Loc: Santa Monica
Given the varying temperatures along the trail from portal to peak, curious what people are wearing?

I Usually hike in dry fit top and convertible pants/shorts. Plan to bring one long sleeve mid layer and one hardshell outer jacket. Staying at Trail Camp one night.

Main question is what about pants for glissade? If snow is getting slushy mid-day, what have people worn to glissade down and did it keep you dry for the rest of the hike back to the car? I'm Considering bringing snow pants too, not sure if worth the weight/space.

Thanks! Invaluable source of information on this message board!

#50864 - 07/12/17 08:07 PM Re: Question on Clothing [Re: 14ers]
Bob West Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA, USA
Light weight rain pants will work if you really must glissade, or any other water proof or water repellent material.

Cotton pants are a no-no. Among climbers, blue jeans are known as "the blue death", because after glissading, if the temperature drops below freezing, they freeze solid. It happened to me once on Mt. Dade.

#50865 - 07/12/17 08:58 PM Re: Question on Clothing [Re: Bob West]
14ers Offline

Loc: Santa Monica
For sure no cotton pants, no denim...

Trying to decide if it's worth it to bring hard shell snow pants for summit day or just my regular nylon hiking pants which are thin but not water proof.

#50867 - 07/12/17 09:26 PM Re: Question on Clothing [Re: 14ers]
Sweden Offline

Loc: Oregon
I wore my zip off hiking pants the whole day (we did a day hike), and just brought a heavy running pant in my back pack, and pulled the running pants on over my hiking pants for the glissading. I wore my patagonia windbreaker which is water repellent, but not water proof over my dry fit hiking shirt.
Running pants were wet when I got down, but hiking pants under were mostly dry.
We summited on July 6, and glissaded down around 2.30 pm, very slushy snow at that time on that day.
Enjoy your trip!