Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mount Fuji Trip Report July 2017
#50905 07/13/17 06:59 PM
nyker Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

Thought I'd post a trip report for Mt Fuji, I climbed a couple weeks ago. Conditions were a bit tougher this time but fun trip all in all. See link below.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=17885

Re: Mount Fuji Trip Report July 2017
nyker #50908 07/13/17 08:24 PM
Fantastic!

Glad you went to the real summit. I saw lots of people stopping at the crater rim and thinking it was the top. At least you didn't have a line of people waiting to get to the marker like I did all three times I summited. smile

Don't know if I'd do a day hike up Fuji (I love it so much I like to take my time).

I did experience the winds as well. Made taking my nighttime 30-second exposures really hard since the wind would blow my camera around.

Like you, I'm one of the fools who have climbed it more than once. smile

I took your route the first time, then a full climb up from the base at Sengan Shrine (somehow I managed the 8,300 feet elevation climb in one day) and two nights in the huts near the summit to get two sunrises. Then down the Gotemba trail for a new view as I descended (if you do it a third time, I highly recommend this trail for descending).

Both of my hikes were in August, so no snow to speak of. Fuji looked so weird without the snow cap.

I know I'll do it a third time (I love Japan (11 trips there so far) and they have some fantastic trekking trails through their mountains), just not sure when.

Last edited by WanderingJim; 07/13/17 11:46 PM.
nyker #50914 07/14/17 09:13 AM
K
K
Amazing trip report and photos! This is on my list of places to visit and summits. Would you mind sharing your prep you did for the trip, acclimation (if any), route/maps and planning logistic info? I would like to make a plan for it in the next two years. My email is kamehana@gmail.com

Thank you in advance! Looks like a trip of a lifetime filled with adventure and spirit.

KamehanaKato #50978 07/17/17 09:01 PM
nyker Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: KamehanaKato
Amazing trip report and photos! This is on my list of places to visit and summits. Would you mind sharing your prep you did for the trip, acclimation (if any), route/maps and planning logistic info? I would like to make a plan for it in the next two years. My email is kamehana@gmail.com

Thank you in advance! Looks like a trip of a lifetime filled with adventure and spirit.

Sure, KamehanaKato.

As you get closer, feel free to send me a note;

Assuming you won't be driving, do your research with transportation options. The bus or train could be best depending on where you are staying and what route you plan to do. Most of the buses depart from Shinjuku station.

Plan what kind of trip you want (day hike or overnighter, since this will dictate when to get to the trailhead and which transportation options are available). ie bus options start only after 8 or 9Am, precluding one day ascents.

while it "only" 12,388ft, chances are you'll be coming from sea level the day before after a long flight, so this will make it seem harder with the lack of acclimatizing, jetlag, etc.

If you want to stay in a hut, book them well before you plan to go. Same with bus service from Tokyo.

Avoid mid August as thats a national holiday with a LOT of people traveling all over the place.

Bring poles or buy a stick or poles there.

Bring $20 worth of Yen coins on the mountain for restrooms, drinks, snacks, etc.

Prepare for bad weather. Like many mountains, on a nice day in the summer, this could be a real pleasant hike. Add in rain, whiteout and 40mph winds, not so much. Bring rain gear and waterproof sacks for stuff you don't want wet.

Reach the real summit - too many people turn around on the crater and don't go to the actual summit. There is a cool plaque, marker and shrines along the way, plus a great view of the crater as you circumnavigate it if the weather is clear!

WanderingJim #50980 07/17/17 09:04 PM
nyker Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: WanderingJim
Fantastic!

Glad you went to the real summit. I saw lots of people stopping at the crater rim and thinking it was the top. At least you didn't have a line of people waiting to get to the marker like I did all three times I summited. smile

Don't know if I'd do a day hike up Fuji (I love it so much I like to take my time).

I did experience the winds as well. Made taking my nighttime 30-second exposures really hard since the wind would blow my camera around.

Like you, I'm one of the fools who have climbed it more than once. smile

I took your route the first time, then a full climb up from the base at Sengan Shrine (somehow I managed the 8,300 feet elevation climb in one day) and two nights in the huts near the summit to get two sunrises. Then down the Gotemba trail for a new view as I descended (if you do it a third time, I highly recommend this trail for descending).

Both of my hikes were in August, so no snow to speak of. Fuji looked so weird without the snow cap.

I know I'll do it a third time (I love Japan (11 trips there so far) and they have some fantastic trekking trails through their mountains), just not sure when.

Hey Jim,

That's great you did the climb from the Sengen shrine. Did you stay near the trailhead or get dropped off with a taxi/bus there?

Did you hike in the night or in daylight? How was the route in the dark? I was wondering how the route is in the pitch black if you did it at night, I want this to be my next climb.

nyker #50981 07/17/17 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: nyker

Hey Jim,

That's great you did the climb from the Sengen shrine. Did you stay near the trailhead or get dropped off with a taxi/bus there?

Did you hike in the night or in daylight? How was the route in the dark? I was wondering how the route is in the pitch black if you did it at night, I want this to be my next climb.

I stayed at a AirBNB place near the trailhead so I could hit the trail early in the morning (7am or so).

I only did the final climbs for the sunrises in the dark from the 8th station. No real problem climbing in the dark, since there were a long line of people with headlamps to follow. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard