Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Bear Facts
Bob West #51101 07/22/17 02:05 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Bob West
If you have a California CCW permit you can get the Arizona permit, which is recognized in Nevada and several other states.

You can get an AZ or NV permit without having a CA permit. The CA CCW is recognized in several other states as well. For the traveling I do, I can get by with just a CA and a WA (out of state) permit. But the fact is, the ONLY way you're gonna concealed carry in CA is with a CA permit. The app LegalHeat is pretty useful for all 50 states CCW quirks and reciprocity issues...................DUG

Bob West #51128 07/23/17 08:41 PM
I think you meant we have the right to bear arms.

2nd Amendment, we have the right to arm bears or bear arms. Must not infringe.

The vast majority of hikers have no desire to carry a gun and don't want to think about some stranger camping near them in the woods with a gun. Please keep it fully concealed at all times.

Back to bears, I was in REI today and saw some pretty small Bear Assault spray canisters. If you think you might need a weapon to defend yourself against a black bear, these are a reasonable and effective option. I had one for hiking with kids in Yellowstone, but that was a Grizzly version, much bigger.

SierraNevada #51129 07/23/17 09:40 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
I think you meant we have the right to bear arms.

2nd Amendment, we have the right to arm bears or bear arms. Must not infringe.

The vast majority of hikers have no desire to carry a gun and don't want to think about some stranger camping near them in the woods with a gun. Please keep it fully concealed at all times.

Back to bears, I was in REI today and saw some pretty small Bear Assault spray canisters. If you think you might need a weapon to defend yourself against a black bear, these are a reasonable and effective option. I had one for hiking with kids in Yellowstone, but that was a Grizzly version, much bigger.

The problem is, in CA you cannot carry loaded AND concealed without a permit. Legally anyway. So please don't advise someone to break the law......................DUG

DUG #51131 07/24/17 06:39 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Not guilty. I don't believe my comments have been an encouragement to people to carry guns. Go back and read what I've posted.

California laws are very strict about this and proper training is required. No one should just jump into firearm carry without knowing the laws and doing what is required by law.

In California a CCW (concealed carry weapons) permit requires:

1) A valid gun ownership certificate. No gun shop will legally sell a handgun to anyone without the purchaser having passed a written gun safety examination and has passed a California background check. There is a ten day waiting period.

2) For a CCW, the legal gun owner must pass a State of California approved class. The class includes intense lectures about gun safety, California State laws, personal responsibility, and several hours of supervised live firing at a range. Then, there is a long waiting period while the State does another background check, which might take several months. If the person passes that background check, they are interviewed by a local Sheriff, who questions them about their reasons for wanted a CCW. If the Sheriff then approves, the CCW is issued to them. In California a CCW permit is good for two years, after which it must renewed...after taking a CCW refresher class that is similar to the initial class. Carrying concealed without a CCW permit will get a person a felony conviction and a lot of grief.

In Inyo National Forest the open carrying of a validly owned handgun is permitted, but should be holstered and in plain sight. Do not open carry one within 100 feet of a public road: that is a felony. Personally, I don't think anyone should open carry a handgun in the backcountry. Someone might freak out and report you, which can result in you being questioned by police in a manner you will not like. Get a CCW permit and keep that weapon hidden.

Carrying a handgun concealed without possessing a valid, up-to-date California CCW permit is a felony. Even if the gun is concealed in a pack or a bear proof container and the person does not have a CCW permit - it is a felony.

All that information might be enough to discourage most people from even considering carry a handgun in the backcountry.

Last edited by Bob West; 07/24/17 06:45 AM.
Bob West #51135 07/24/17 07:53 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
Not guilty. I don't believe my comments have been an encouragement to people to carry guns. Go back and read what I've posted.

California laws are very strict about this and proper training is required. No one should just jump into firearm carry without knowing the laws and doing what is required by law.

In California a CCW (concealed carry weapons) permit requires:

1) A valid gun ownership certificate. No gun shop will legally sell a handgun to anyone without the purchaser having passed a written gun safety examination and has passed a California background check. There is a ten day waiting period.

2) For a CCW, the legal gun owner must pass a State of California approved class. The class includes intense lectures about gun safety, California State laws, personal responsibility, and several hours of supervised live firing at a range. Then, there is a long waiting period while the State does another background check, which might take several months. If the person passes that background check, they are interviewed by a local Sheriff, who questions them about their reasons for wanted a CCW. If the Sheriff then approves, the CCW is issued to them. In California a CCW permit is good for two years, after which it must renewed...after taking a CCW refresher class that is similar to the initial class. Carrying concealed without a CCW permit will get a person a felony conviction and a lot of grief.

In Inyo National Forest the open carrying of a validly owned handgun is permitted, but should be holstered and in plain sight. Do not open carry one within 100 feet of a public road: that is a felony. Personally, I don't think anyone should open carry a handgun in the backcountry. Someone might freak out and report you, which can result in you being questioned by police in a manner you will not like. Get a CCW permit and keep that weapon hidden.

Carrying a handgun concealed without possessing a valid, up-to-date California CCW permit is a felony. Even if the gun is concealed in a pack or a bear proof container and the person does not have a CCW permit - it is a felony.

All that information might be enough to discourage most people from even considering carry a handgun in the backcountry.

????? I wasn't addressing you. That's easy to tell by the quoted material above what I wrote.

Concealed carrying without a CCW CAN or MIGHT be a felony, depending on the circumstances involved and the DA. It's considered a "wobbler" and can go felony or misdemeanor.

The process you outlined to receive a CCW in CA is mostly correct, but it does vary by each and every county and local city that issues CCWs. In some jurisdictions it's impossible to get a CCW, in others it can be done in a few short weeks. Many, such as mine, take up to two years. I was never interviewed by my sheriff, the man is much too busy for such things. He has issued "by direction" to his CCW unit. Most other large jurisdictions operate the same.

BTW - I not only hold a valid CA CCW, but I also hold a valid FFL and do consultant work at a local gun shop.

Again, my comments were directed at the "keep it concealed" comment that I quoted. While it may make some feel more comfy in the backcountry, concealed carry it is probably not legal in most situations (unless it's unloaded and in a locked container rendering it useless anyway). For a majority of visitors to the CA backcountry, open carry is sadly the only option. CA does not recognize out of state permits so that excludes all of the non residents. Getting a permit can be difficult depending on where one lives in the state. In my county, there are just over 2,000 permits, but well over 2 million residents. That's a small club. Only three cities in my county issue permits, but I don't think they do in any significant amounts. (I've never seen any published numbers and one only started issuing in the past couple months)

I'm no fan of open carry, but if someone feels the need to be legally armed, it's probably going to be their only option............................................DUG

Bob West #51184 07/25/17 03:55 PM
Keeping food out of your tent cannot be overstated. I stupidly left a ziplock with about one M&M and one peanut in it in my pack in my tent at Trail Camp.

A marmot ate an entry hole AND an exit hole in the tent, ate through the pack, and took about twenty dumps on my sleeping bag, seemingly for spite.

Wiff #51223 07/27/17 09:47 AM
S
S
I would carry concealed. Not for bears or bandits but for the marmots alone (read sarcasm).

Ugh. I hate marmots.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Wiff #51224 07/27/17 11:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Wiff
Keeping food out of your tent cannot be overstated. I stupidly left a ziplock with about one M&M and one peanut in it in my pack in my tent at Trail Camp.

A marmot ate an entry hole AND an exit hole in the tent, ate through the pack, and took about twenty dumps on my sleeping bag, seemingly for spite.

This is no laughing matter, but OMG lol, that shithead. Even leaving sweaty or foam things alone can be a problem: those brazen squirrels of the Grand Canyon don't just steal sandwiches from your hand if you look away, they will also create a hole in your tent to get to a foam football and proceed to rip it to shreds.

@terraelise anything (fb, ig, etc.)
terraelise #51228 07/27/17 12:29 PM
Well, football season is almost upon us... grin

Journey well...
Snacking Bear #51247 07/27/17 08:46 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Now you're giving me bad ideas. People I know who have sampled marmot meat say that it is very greasy. Otherwise, it could become a tasty backcountry food item.

terraelise #51248 07/27/17 08:47 PM
B
OP Offline
B
They're merely gathering new bedding material...LOL.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard