Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
2 registered (futbol, 1 invisible), 12 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3179 Members
13 Forums
5218 Topics
48780 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#51555 - 08/12/17 09:32 AM Sawmill and Taboose Current Conditions.
Sbrink Offline

Loc: La
Know someone hiking solo and looking to bail at either Sawmill or Taboose and looking for info on current conditions of either and information to decide where to bail.

Any information would be appreciated.

#51560 - 08/12/17 02:55 PM Re: Sawmill and Taboose Current Conditions. [Re: Sbrink]
Dave_Ayers Offline

Loc: California
There have been several threads related to Sawmill and Taboose in the past couple of weeks on High Sierra Topix.
Two are:   Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up
and   Sawmill -> Pinchot -> Taboose 7/2017 .

As of 2 weeks ago, Taboose Creek had a strong flow and was difficult at best to cross. Some folks skirted the crossings on the north side of the Canyon, but that is not so easy as the talus there is steep and can be unstable in spots. Possibly the creek is low enough now to make the crossing more manageable.

#51600 - 08/14/17 11:33 AM Re: Sawmill and Taboose Current Conditions. [Re: Dave_Ayers]
vinifera Offline

Loc: Reno
I went up Sawmill Pass from the TH on Division Creek, and on over to Woods Lake and the JMT, around July 28-Aug 2.

Sawmill Pass had a couple minor snowfields on the southeast side, which could be hiked just in boots, although I had my poles. The north side of the pass was clear.

Woods Lake basin was clear of snow, but had lots of braided streams, making the trail disappear in some areas, but you hardly need a trail there anyway.

I don't have any info about Taboose.