Print Thread
Clothing recommendations for current conditions
#52201 09/17/17 06:38 PM
C
cpSoCal Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,
Very excited to be only a week out from my first Whitney attempt. We've been training for 6 months so it's a little surreal that it's almost here! Sept 26 is our permit date (we are doing as a 1 day hike starting around midnight)

As the weather gets colder, I'm starting to debate my layers for the hike and would love some opinions. My go-to hiking clothes at this point has been:

- long pants (Patagonia Quandary, thin but tough hiking pants)
- long sleeve vented shirt
- insulated puff
- coat w hood (my ski jacket)
- ear warmers, gloves, neck warmer

I'm planning to carry some waterproof pants that can pull over in rain, but I'm wondering if I should be wearing more substantial bottom layers, or carry extra base layers with me.

Anything else you'd recommend given current weather?

Thanks!

Last edited by cpSoCal; 09/17/17 06:39 PM.
Re: Clothing recommendations for current conditions
cpSoCal #52206 09/18/17 05:40 AM
H
H
side zip rain pants are preferable vs regular rain pants
side zip fleece pants are preferable vs long johns
side zip feature allows ease of on/off while keeping boots on.
fleece or wool long john top
waterproof mittens - not just gloves
silk liner gloves
full face/head balaclava
you can get all of this into a daypack for use up high.

the waterproof gear is not just for rain and sleet, but wind. If it is colder, it actually is easier without sleet or rain, but there is still wind.

if it is 20F and 20 mph wind you will need a lot, even if you are moving well, but especially as you tire. You should have enough gear to stay warm in case you sprain your ankle and have to sit or be rescued. Also take a mylar pocket emergency bivy sack.

You might have a beautiful sunny windless day, or not. Applies to any day of the year up there.

cpSoCal #52207 09/18/17 06:57 AM
B
B
The weather is beginning to change toward Fall/Winter conditions. Temperatures on Whitney are forecast to be in the low 2os on the day of your hike. Read and consider Harvey's recommendations and be prepared for much colder weather than you might have anticipated, included the chance for snow showers.

I will be hiking in the Bishop Pass area today and later this week, and will be carrying more clothing than what you mentioned in your post, even though it is a lower altitude than Whitney.

Last edited by Bob West; 09/18/17 06:58 AM.
cpSoCal #52209 09/18/17 07:39 AM
H
H
Also since it is cold I would start later than midnight. The average time for beginners RT is around 17 hrs. If you start later than midnight or even around 2-3 AM you will miss most of the overnight cold around Trailside Meadow to Trail Camp and the 99ers. This late in the year it is better to come down in the dark than to go up IMHO. My first time I turned back at Trail Crest because I wasn't prepared for the cold wind that came.

Good luck to you, the anticipation is intense on your first time!

-Dan

Harvey Lankford #52211 09/18/17 09:14 AM
C
cpSoCal Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Harvey, This is very helpful. Wondering what the value of mittens vs gloves is?

Halfdomer Homer #52212 09/18/17 09:15 AM
C
cpSoCal Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Re: leaving later, our main concern has been afternoon thunderstorms, so we were trying to make sure we were off the top part of the mountain by noon.

I had a bad experience a few weeks back on White Mountain (caught in a hail / lightening storm for 2hr on descent) so I was more concerned about that than cold.

cpSoCal #52213 09/18/17 10:03 AM
H
H
Originally Posted By: cpSoCal
Thanks Harvey, This is very helpful. Wondering what the value of mittens vs gloves is?

Physics. Mittens are far warmer than gloves. Your fingers are all together in one chamber, rather than 5, and helping keep each other warm.

You can also wear thin silk liner gloves inside of mittens. Thay way if you need to use your hands to tie your shoes or eat lunch, you can remove the mittens temporarily and still have some protection with the liners. It really does not take but a few minutes in high windchill to have paralyzed fingers.

Mittens should have wind/waterproof shell, not simple fleece or wool.

I take 3 hand items: Silk liners, wind/waterproof gloves, and wind/waterproof mittens. Use various combinations as needed.
I have been on plenty of trips (Whitney and elsewhere) where people's summit days were abandoned not because of cold feet but cold hands

Harvey Lankford #52214 09/18/17 10:14 AM
C
cpSoCal Offline OP
OP Offline
C
super helpful, will definitely add to my packing list. Thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard