Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3270 Members
13 Forums
5344 Topics
49605 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2017 (Old)

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.

#52427 - 11/13/17 05:15 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Here's a useful current trip report: DAY HIKE 11-11-17

#52450 - 11/17/17 01:05 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Hayden Mills Offline

Loc: CA
Hey! I'm headed up to Whitney next weekend (Thanksgiving weekend), and I was wondering what the snow is like up there after the storm this last 48 hours. Wondering if I need to lug up crampons and ice axes if the snow is unconsolidated. Thanks!

#52452 - 11/17/17 02:13 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Hayden Mills]
Steve C Offline

Crampons could be useful. Ice axe: not enough consolidated snow anywhere that an axe would help.

#52463 - 11/21/17 02:01 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Hayden Mills]
sogood Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm also looking at going up this weekend-- after calling the rangers, they didn't have a lot of information because folks don't usually report after the return to the station. They don't even know if anyone has summited since that first snow.

They heard from one party that went up last Friday (11/17) that they had ankle-deep snow at Lone Pine Lake, but it's been warm so much of that has probably melted... snowshoes might be the name of the game.

I called the local gear shop, Elevation, for any other beta based on what people are renting, but I haven't heard back yet from them.

I'll let you know if I hear any more and hope you'll keep us updated, too!

#52464 - 11/21/17 04:39 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: sogood]
Steve C Offline

Here's Outpost Camp last Saturday, Nov 18.
posted on FB by Mario T. He reported seeing 2' of snow at Trail Camp.

#52465 - 11/21/17 10:21 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Posted on Instagram by Ryan H
His caption: "we were the only ones there 11/17/17"

#52469 - 11/22/17 11:13 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: sogood]
Hayden Mills Offline

Will do! Me and a buddy are headed up Friday. We're going to try and spend the night at Outpost, and use all day Saturday to summit. A little worried about that storm forecasted for Sunday.

#52470 - 11/23/17 09:04 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Brian B Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I hiked 11/22. Started at 9am after camping at the trail head and getting a very late start. Snow and ice starting 1 mile in. Nothing you couldn't handle without poles but it was definitely slippery in areas with no sun and people were wearing microspikes. There was a decent amount of ice early in the day on the logs during the first river crossing that actually caused me slip and fall into the knee-deep water, and it took me an hour to dry off (bring extra socks!!!) but by the evening the ice had mostly melted and it was far easier to cross going back (I debated wearing crampons going back but it seems unnecessary). By the first camp there was a decent amount of snow, maybe knee high. I then snapped lots of pictures in this area and turned back. It took me 9am - 130pm going up, with an hour to dry off plus time to eat and take pictures on the way up, and 2-330pm to get back after 30 minutes of pictures and walking around the first camp area.

Two notes:
-One or two switchbacks were being cut so I tried to create the proper trail
-Once you get near the first camp, stay to the left. There is a false path going across the stream through the meadow. This made me waste some time so although that path may eventually go where you want it to, it's not fun.

#52471 - 11/23/17 09:38 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Brian B]
Hayden Mills Offline

Could you post some of those pics?? laugh

#52472 - 11/23/17 10:03 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Hayden Mills]
Brian B Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
One more thing: I left a cooler bag with a sealed piece of salmon along with 4 Sierra Nevada beers and some sunscreen in a bear storage locker. I won't be able to return anytime soon to grab them, so they are fair game! I plan on alerting the staff tomorrow.

Edited by Brian B (11/23/17 10:07 PM)

#52473 - 11/25/17 09:03 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Brian B]
Hayden Mills Offline

Trip Report (11-24-17)

Me and a buddy hiked up to Bighorn Park, and turned around. Out of about 25-30 climbers coming down from Trail Camp, only one had made it. He said there was chest high snow up near Trail Crest, and that the 99 switchbacks were dangerous with the amount of powder snow accumulated on them.

Trail conditions as of Friday. The first 1.5 mile is free of snow, with just a little patch on the trail after the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek crossing. Snow begins a third of the way up to Lone Pine Lake from the creek crossing. The trail is worn down, and therefore has become icy. A lot of hikers were using micro spikes. The log crossing right before Lone Pine Creek is totally doable, and there is little ice left. Above Lone Pine Lake you start to notice a lot more snow but the trail is easy to follow. Above Bighorn Park, snowshoes would be useful, postholing is exhausting.

#52486 - 12/01/17 10:42 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Hayden Mills]
Snacking Bear Offline

Loc: Saugus, CA
mtnlover1990 on that "other" message board gave a condition up date on the MR:

Quote:
Conditions as of 11/24/17:

The main gully has a wind slab 4-16 in thick laying on top of a heavy-ish sugar snow. No shooting cracks or whomphing but I opted to climb the rock to the right (more sugar snow on top of rounded boulders) until reaching the notch. A large section of snow in the middle had been torn out suggestive of rockfall that did not trigger a larger slab avalanche.

After the notch, similar conditions exist in the gully leading to summit while the rock to the left is nice and dry albeit steeper.

Expect lots of post holing on the approach to iceberg lake, especially in wind-loaded areas after the snow expected today.

Anybody have more recent info? My brother and I are contemplating an attempt in a few weeks.