Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3294 Members
13 Forums
5363 Topics
49702 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#52573 - 01/31/18 12:56 PM Mt Whitney Lottery 2018
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Mt Whitney Lottery 2018                    

Lottery Applications will be accepted for day hike and overnight hikes starting Feb 1.

Updates and information will be posted here.

The best source of information and the best first place to start is the Inyo National Forest web page, Mount Whitney Lottery - Permit Reservations

Here is the link to apply to the lottery on Recreation.gov

Last year's information thread:   2017 Lottery Information

Here's an Interesting note / sign of the times for this year, posted within the Permit Reservations web page linked above:
Quote:
In the event of a lapse in federal government funding February 8, the Recreation.gov website will lock. The website will reopen once Congress restores funding (within 24 hours) and the Mt Whitney Lottery will resume on the same time line. The application time period will not be extended beyond March 15. Lottery applications submitted between Feb 1 and March 15 will be run in a lottery, and the remainder of the dates will go on-sale as first come first serve after the lottery is completed.

#52574 - 01/31/18 01:00 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Steve C]
RenoFrank Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
Is there an advantage if you apply early rather than later?

#52575 - 01/31/18 01:03 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: RenoFrank]
Steve C Offline

No advantage for applying early.

#52598 - 02/11/18 11:27 AM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Steve C]
BCVisin Offline

Loc: CA, US
I read through the 2017 Lottery Information thread, but I didn't see an answer to this question.

How does the selection system for the lottery work? Does it take all of your alternate dates into account and give you one "entry" for each of those dates
OR does it select an applicant first, and then go through all the alternates to find an available opening?

This will determine how I select alternate dates for my application.

Thanks,
Blake

#52602 - 02/11/18 08:03 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: BCVisin]
Steve C Offline

Of the thousands of entries, when your number comes up, it then steps through all your choices, checking each one in order. If the first choice date is already full, it checks your second choice, and so on. As soon as it finds a date with enough open slots for your request, then that is assigned to you.

Of course, if it finds no day with enough open slots for any of your choices, your entry is rejected, and then it goes on to process the next person's entry.

Entries are processed in a completely random order.

#52603 - 02/12/18 11:49 AM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Steve C]
BCVisin Offline

Loc: CA, US
Awesome, thank you very much for the response! Much appreciated on the clarification.

#52622 - 02/15/18 10:23 AM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 [Re: Carry on]
Avi Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Carry on

I know Inyo NF asks groups to submit just one application per group, but I cannot imagine how they can enforce it. For example, if Ernie and Bert want to hike Mt. Whitney and both apply for a 2-person permit without identifying the other as an alternate group leader, how would Inyo NF possibly know the two applications were for the same group? I suppose if Ernie and Bert had the exact same 15 alternate dates and applied on the same day, that might be a hint. But Ernie and Bert can mix up there date choices a bit and apply a week apart from each other. I just cannot see how Inyo NF could possibly know they are the same group. Same holds true for larger groups as long as no name is used twice as applicant or alternate leader. Right? What am I missing?

Maybe a couple might get caught if they use the same mailing address or phone number.

And if Ernie and Bert got caught submitting 2 applications, it's not clear to me what the consequence is. Are both applications deleted, or just one?

The only loop-hole I can see with this approach is the Group leader on Application 1 gets eliminated. The scenario I have in mind is as follows:

1. Person 1 submits application for a total of 7 hikers.
2. Person 2 submits a second application also for a total of 7 hikers. The second application includes Person 1, although he isn't explicitly named in the application.
3. Inyo processes both the requests (doesn't eliminate any).
4. Application 2 gets lucky and accepted and Application 1 doesn't make it.
5. At this point, I am assuming all the names have to be provided to Inyo NF and now Inyo might notice that Person 1 appears on 2 applications.

So Person 1 is at risk here and I am not sure how Inyo NF will react to such a situation.

Any experiences here? My guess is the Inyo Folks won't have the bandwidth to dig so deep, but I have no idea what the outcome might be here.

#52623 - 02/15/18 12:59 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Avi]
Steve C Offline

Welcome, Avi. I moved your post to the 2018 lottery thread.

your #5: "At this point, I am assuming all the names have to be provided"
That doesn't occur. All names aren't provided until the permit is picked up at the Visitor Center the day before the hike.

I think Inyo checks the lottery applications for same leader and alternate leader names. ...and leaders/alternates can't be changed after the lottery. Only the leader or alternate can pick up the permit.

#52627 - 02/15/18 04:00 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Steve C]
Avi Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Welcome, Avi. I moved your post to the 2018 lottery thread.

your #5: "At this point, I am assuming all the names have to be provided"
That doesn't occur. All names aren't provided until the permit is picked up at the Visitor Center the day before the hike.

I think Inyo checks the lottery applications for same leader and alternate leader names. ...and leaders/alternates can't be changed after the lottery. Only the leader or alternate can pick up the permit.

Thanks Steve! Hoping to land one of the permits this year. Really excited.

#52628 - 02/15/18 04:01 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Steve C]
Barbara Offline

Loc: LA, CA
On other Inyo permits (not the Whitney lottery - haven't tried with that) I've been able to add an alternate leader's name after I got the permit.Is that not so for Whitney entries?

#52629 - 02/15/18 09:52 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Barbara]
Steve C Offline

Originally Posted By: Barbara
On other Inyo permits (not the Whitney lottery - haven't tried with that) I've been able to add an alternate leader's name after I got the permit. Is that not so for Whitney entries?

No, because that would enable scalpers to obtain a permit through the lottery, then offer it to the highest bidder.

Yosemite Valley camp sites were being scalped that way a few years ago. Some one created a fast computer program to scoop up lots of spots before others could, and then marketed them through CraigsList.

#52635 - 02/18/18 06:08 PM Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018 [Re: Steve C]
Barbara Offline

Loc: LA, CA
Thanks Steve.