Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2018
Steve C #52845 04/04/18 07:06 AM
J
J
Steve C - Thank you!

Unfortunately, my wife didn’t add me as an alternate leader. We didn’t really contemplate any circumstance where one of us would go and the other wouldn’t. Our “construction project” was a bit of a surprise. Lol.

That said, she will definitely be able to pick up the permit just not do the hike. I’m assuming if she picks it up, I’d be able to use it without her. Otherwise, what happens on the trail if the leader has to turn back but the rest of the group wants to continue? What happens if you have the tag but not the actual permit? Or if you have a tag and a permit in someone else’s name?

Either way, I’d still like to do the hike with someone else I know. If I were able to get them to add me as an alternate leader, would I be able to take someone other than my wife? In other words, can I now reassign her spot to someone else when I pick up the permit?

jkp653 #52846 04/04/18 08:18 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
They don't ask for ID out when checking permits on the trail, but it would be pretty obvious you aren't Melissa. Since picking up the permit is no problem, I think you should call that wilderness permit number 760-873-2483 and ask about the situation. I am pretty sure all will be good, but I would call and ask. Here's hoping when you call, they will tell you the best way to work it out.

Steve C #52847 04/04/18 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C

MtMikeR: That could work for you and your buddy. I was only making a suggestion to sleep at altitude even your first night to get that acclimatization head start. But since you have both been on high peaks without trouble before, you will probably be just fine.

Steve C - Thanks for the suggestion. Always appreciate advice from those more experienced. I'm hoping we won't have many issues with altitude as we are taking it slow with stops at Outpost and Trail Camps before our summit bid. I do know though that just because we haven't had issues in the past, doesn't mean we won't this time around. wink

Mike

“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
- Ed Viesturs
MtMikeR #52915 04/17/18 09:04 PM
C
C
I didn't get a Day permit in the lottery or on April 1, but I've been checking the recreation.gov website periodically and was able to get a Day permit for mid-August. How was this possible? I've been checking ever since and see 1-2 spots every so often pop up. Does recreation.gov slowly release unfilled permit spots periodically?

climb415 #52919 04/18/18 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: climb415
... How was this possible? I've been checking ever since and see 1-2 spots every so often pop up. Does recreation.gov slowly release unfilled permit spots periodically?

Climb415 - I believe the website releases dates as they receive cancellations or those that give up their dates they received in the lottery.

Mike

“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
- Ed Viesturs
MtMikeR #52921 04/18/18 12:17 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: MtMikeR
Climb415 - I believe the website releases dates as they receive cancellations or those that give up their dates they received in the lottery.

Yes! Anyone who won a slot has until May 1 to pay the $15 per hiker fee to keep their slots. So, some people are paying for some, but may release a slot or two as group members back out, or else the completely cancel their won slots. When this occurs, recreation.gov subsequently releases those slots back to the system at a random time within the next 24 hours.

Those are the slots that appear every so often. They are available to the first person to grab("book") them and pay the fees. After they "book" the slots, they are not available to anyone else; the website gives you 15 minutes to complete the payment. If not completed, they are again released immediately so others can "see" them again.

On May 1, all the reservations that are still not paid up will be released, starting at 7 AM, at random times. There should be a lot more popping up that day.

Here are links to Recreation.gov and the permit reservation page:
      DAY USE of Mt. Whitney Zone             Mt. Whitney Trail Overnight Permit

Steve C #53005 05/01/18 04:28 PM
C
C
I'm trying to add one more person to my party for June 18th. I called the ranger but she said something about adding the total number of people and not the one extra person.

Do you add the total number of people or just the one extra person?

chachismo #53008 05/01/18 08:05 PM
D
D
My understanding is that you would just get additional permits for the additional members. I'm trying to add 1 more to my party and was told to just find 1 more permit.

chachismo #53009 05/01/18 09:29 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: chachismo
I'm trying to add one more person to my party for June 18th. I called the ranger but she said something about adding the total number of people and not the one extra person.

Do you add the total number of people or just the one extra person?

Chachismo, if there is a "Change Details" option shown when you log in and view your original permit, it would make sense to change the group size by adding one to the total, so then it would show you the total number. When you go to check out, it would probably charge you only $15 for the additional person.

Of course it would only allow you to increase the group size if the date has additional slots available. I hope this makes sense.

I don't have a permit, so can't be sure of this. Anyone who does, if you care to try to add a person this way, maybe you can verify--take it all the way to the checkout screen, but then cancel your changes.

Steve C #53014 05/02/18 11:33 AM
M
M

On May 1, all the reservations that are still not paid up will be released, starting at 7 AM, at random times. There should be a lot more popping up that day.

Just a note of thanks, Steve. I did not get a spot in the lottery and happened to check back here yesterday. Noticed you posted the info above along with the permit links. I was able to get an overnight permit for very close to one of my original dates!

jkp653 #53015 05/02/18 07:32 PM
B
B
To jkp653 - re. adding alternates to a permit. Last year I had a permit for 2 in my name, and was able to call in weeks later and add an alternate leader name (that I had neglected to add at the time I booked it) so that person could pick it up and I didn't have to be there. I think as long as a named person on the permit picks it up, the rangers do not ask for the names of everyone on the trip.

Steve C #53016 05/02/18 09:35 PM
E
E

Chachismo, if there is a "Change Details" option shown when you log in and view your original permit, it would make sense to change the group size by adding one to the total, so then it would show you the total number. When you go to check out, it would probably charge you only $15 for the additional person.

Of course it would only allow you to increase the group size if the date has additional slots available. I hope this makes sense.

I don't have a permit, so can't be sure of this. Anyone who does, if you care to try to add a person this way, maybe you can verify--take it all the way to the checkout screen, but then cancel your changes.

Verified...added 1 person to a permit (had to wait until there was an available slot) and was charged $15.00.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard