Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Rayna #53202 05/21/18 01:23 PM
W
W
Glad you and your team made it back down safely!

Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas?

Climbed last year via Chute around July last year but the top from Trail Crest to Summit was clear of snow. Just curious what it is right now.

WhitneyHiker085 #53205 05/21/18 02:32 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085
Glad you and your team made it back down safely!

Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas?

Climbed last year via Chute around July last year but the top from Trail Crest to Summit was clear of snow. Just curious what it is right now.

Thank you! There was still quite a bit of (well-trafficked) snow from Trail Crest to the summit. Right at Trail Crest, I took my crampons off, but I put them back on not too long afterwards b/c of the snow. There were a few areas where the trail was narrow-ish with a steep drop off to one side. I just dug my ice axe into the mountain before each step and walked slowly (and didn't look down). That said, my hiking partner didn't use his microspikes, but he did use his ice axe. From the footprints, there seemed to be a mix of folks who did and did not wear crampons or microspikes. I think it comes down to what you're comfortable with. I personally felt better having that extra traction. On the way back down from the summit to Trail Crest, I kept my crampons on the whole time and took them off before glissading down the chute. I was able to keep them off the rest of the way down to the Portal.

Last edited by Rayna; 05/21/18 02:45 PM.
Jose De La Rosa #53206 05/21/18 02:34 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: Jose De La Rosa
Reyna,
Thanks for posting your experience, very helpful and simple! Just what this is about!!!!

Thank you, Jose!

Rayna #53207 05/21/18 04:41 PM
W
W
Thanks Rayna, for the info. Will definitely have my crampons ready.

Hiking up this weekend. Hopefully the weather is favorable.

WhitneyHiker085 #53215 05/22/18 11:12 AM
R
R
Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085
Thanks Rayna, for the info. Will definitely have my crampons ready.

Hiking up this weekend. Hopefully the weather is favorable.

Have a fantastic hike!!

Steve C #53240 05/24/18 10:59 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here's a great picture posted May 24, on Instagram by adover36
It shows the trail along the crest, somewhere between the Main Whitney Trail / JMT junction, and Mt Muir.

click for larger size...

Steve C #53251 05/27/18 03:30 PM
B
B
Do you know when this picture was taken? I'd like to know as I have a day permit for Monday June 4.

Brad Calvin #53252 05/27/18 03:53 PM
T
T
It’s recent. I summited 5/25 and the chute was in decent condition. I recommend you leave early — maybe 2 or 3 am depending on your speed. It gets very slushy early and some people were slipping later. I made it with microspikes and an ax without issues. One stretch on the crest trail remains sketchy but it’s very doable.

Brad Calvin #53254 05/27/18 08:45 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Brad Calvin
Do you know when this picture was taken? I'd like to know as I have a day permit for Monday June 4.

Wed, May 23.

Steve C #53278 05/30/18 04:12 PM
W
wwf Offline
W
Im headed on a day hike on the 2nd of June. Q: From the start of trail head to lets say 'lone pine lake' easily distinguishable at dawn 4-5 AM? i have a flashlight etc. just don't want to go off the trail so i can make it to the shoot early. Q: do i really need a ice axe to go up the shoot? or is that just a precaution? wink

wwf #53279 05/30/18 06:10 PM
A
A
Went up yesterday and the sunlight was good enough to forgo a headlamp by 530. Granted it was the night before a full moon. Having never gone via the chute, I’d definitely use an ice axe & crampons if you’re hitting it early after sunrise. By 930 the trail was slushy. We had clear skies all morning leading up to it. Good luck!

alfredg #53280 05/30/18 07:42 PM
B
B
Alfredg:
I'm hiking Whitney next Monday w/ a friend.

Can you tell me what time you started at Portal, what time you reached summit, and what time you returned to Portal? Did you use ice axe and crampons? I assume so from your advice, but wanted to clarify. What time were you on the chute and how long did you take on the chute? Did you see others on chute using micro spikes or other equipment? Finally, were any parts of the trail waterlogged or flooded prior to reaching trail camp?

Thanks,
Brad

alfredg #53284 05/31/18 08:29 AM
W
wwf Offline
W
Thank you alfredg, will be prepared per your direction. Can you also be kind enough to respond to when you started time? and what time you were able to reach the chute? finally,what time you were able to return? Id consider myself to be in better than average physical condition, and thus should be able to make good time but would like get your thoughts in this area.
Thanks again thanks

Steve C #53293 05/31/18 09:53 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
jerryjsun posted a trip report and some pictures here:

Memorial Day Summit (5/27/18)

Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C #53331 06/04/18 03:09 PM
W
wwf Offline
W
Hi All,

Happy that I was able to summit Mt. Whitney (day hike) on 6.02.2018 and also very fortunate to be alive, here is my account:

Started from Whitney Portal at 5 am after an all night drive (Not Ideal) from San Diego.
It was one of the most beautiful mornings with near perfect weather, was able to make good ground to Outpost Camp made it there between 7-7:30. Stopped there to take a 10 min break before barging ahead to get to Trail Camp. The trail just after Mirror Lake/Pond is a little obscure, but not too bad so long as you skirt the mountain.

Me and a group of hikers went off the trail for a little before finding our way back, and making Trail Camp at around 10 30 am.

I had decided that if was not going to make trail camp by 9:30 am at worst, i would abandon the summit bid. Here i was an hour later and debating the summit bid, was able to see a number of hikers either almost up the chute or glissading down. Had to take a break to eat and rest before pushing on, while resting i realized i may be experiencing altitude sickness or at least showing symptoms. Shortness of breath, a pulsing head ache and a slight lack of co-ordination. Took a couple of 'ibuprofen'(life savers up there), had a bite to eat, hydrated for the next 40 mins before deciding to push on.

It was now past 11 am when i was making my way to the chute, which is a good 20 mins hike from Trail Camp. As i got closer it hit me that i might be one of the last hikers attempting the summit bid, as it was now close to noon and there was just one person ahead who was almost up at Trail Crest. I set a turn around time of 3 pm and pushed on.

At this point the altitude had taken its toll and i was stopping to catch my breath every few steps, progress on the chute was painstakingly slow, and the thought to turn back was gaining momentum. I looked back to see 2 other hikers starting up, while several others were getting back after a successful summit bid,
merrily glissading down the slides which had been in use through the day. the joy on their faces fueled me to carry on.

Made it up the chute at 1:30 pm,it had been a slushy, slow and slippery assent. I was later joined by the 2 hikers who were climbing behind me. Whitney summit is a further 2.98 miles, and it was already late afternoon. Should have turned around, but we were firmly in the grip of Summit fever. The hike from trail crest is fairly easy terrain wise and mostly manageable with just hiking shoes aside from a few sketchy spots where and ice axe/microspikes or crampons are recommended. It was 4 pm before we reached the summit, where we found another couple of hikers on their way back, spent about 15-20 mins soaking in the beauty, and for me catching my breath, regaining strength were highest priority. Realizing we have a long way back we teamed up, and decided to descend as quickly as we could. Reached the chute at 6pm also on the way we overtook the 2 hikers we had seen on the summit.I was the only one with the ice axe, thus was the first one who could attempt the glissade. The chute which looked fun and harmless when the sun was out at noon, looked life threatening as the snow had now set firm making the ride down treacherous. Normally i would not have tried to glissade down, but altitude can do funny things and my judgement was clouded to say the least.

I sat down with the ice axe in hand, so i could self arrest in case the speed was too much to handle. Before i knew, i was catapulted down, gaining momentum faster than i have ever experienced barring a free fall. I planted my ice-axe which snagged on a rock which yanked it out of my hand. Now i had no way of stopping the fall, and i remember going 'this is it, i'm f#%#ed', i was now falling/sliding at maybe 30 mph at least. I thought to turn on my chest and bury my hands and feet into the snow as firmly as i could. Fell a good 200-300 feet before slowing down and coming to a halt, half way down the slide, poised precariously in the middle of the chute.

If i moved i could fall again, my first thought was hope the guys behind me don't try the glissade as they would come straight for me. Luckily they were able to see my experience which deterred them from trying the slide.

One handed, i was able pull out my micro spikes that were in my bag, and put them on one shoe which helped me get off the slide,where i was able to put on the other one. I then crawled on my back to make way down the rest of chute. The skin on my hand forearm is ripped clean on my right fore arm and several scratches on my left arm as well, my lower back is also ripped bad from the fall and arrest. Little to give, as i could have been injured severely/fatally had i gone tumbling into the rocks.

I waited at the bottom of the chute screaming at the guys behind me to take it easy and to see if i could help/get help in some way if something went wrong, they were able to make it down safe but it took them over 2 hours to get off the chute. Was able to get some first aid at trail camp before finally getting to Whitney Portal at almost midnight. Still in shock, but at least i'm alive and well

Learnings
PLEASE DON'T GLISSADE DOWN THE CHUTE, AFTER THE SUN IS OFF IT. It will kill you.
Avoid a summit bid after midday, especially if your not already up the chute.
Pay careful attention to signs of altitude sickness, carry a medical/first aid kit.
Hope this helps someone to not make the series of stupid decisions I made.
tc

wwf #53335 06/04/18 09:40 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
OMG, wwf! You're lucky you are alive!!! If you were a cat, you would have 8 lives left.

Thanks for sharing. I wish more people would read reports like yours.

Steve C #53340 06/05/18 01:55 PM
L
L
I really appreciate the posts in this forum and the information about ice axe/crampon use in general on this board. We were supposed to attempt a one day summit on the 10th of June, so I've been watching this forum anxiously. Not having any prior experience with ice axes / crampons, after reading the latest posts here, I have decided to forgo our attempt this year. We'll try to get up the mountain in the summer months (next year) unless we can get some beginning/intermediate mountaineering experience under our belts. Thanks again to everyone that's posted their experience here. It's helped a lot.

leeanne #53344 06/05/18 07:58 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: leeanne
I have decided to forgo our attempt this year. We'll try to get up the mountain in the summer months (next year)

You can go this summer. Do some research on this site about getting "walk-in" permits.
        Unused Whitney Permits 20178

Link provided by Steve C

Last edited by RenoFrank; 06/06/18 02:53 PM.
RenoFrank #53345 06/06/18 08:31 AM
I think I’m with LeeAnne. My wife, son and I were to do a two-day on June 19th, and I already committed to my wife that I would only take her up the switchbacks, not the chute. No reports have indicated the switchbacks are anywhere near melting out. It might be on to Plan B, with an attempt to get walk-ins later in the summer before my son heads off to college. Bummer.

Please let me know if anyone has a conditions report on the switchbacks? Thanks!

RenoFrank #53346 06/06/18 09:30 AM
L
L
Thanks RenoFrank! Will definitely check out that link.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard