GeoPro: New Satellite messaging gizmo
#5328 06/17/10 08:45 PM
G
George Offline OP
Woodsy Guy
OP Offline
Woodsy Guy
G
Just posted this on Whitney forum. This is worth looking at (or getting your spouse to look at). The main advantage is the two way texting capability. In an emergency situation, it allows you to tell someone what's wrong or to just hobble out with a sprained ankle and be met before you'd planned to:

The Roadpost GeoPro will be released within a week or two. I have a test unit and find it pretty good. The features have been well thought out, though there's still some kllunkiness in v 1.0.

The most important advantage is that it capable of two way texting! This is huge and, as far as I know, not offered by anyone else.

Main features:

Emergency beacon.
Two way texting capability.
Uses Iridium satellite system (more reliable that Globalstar)
"See me feature" -- sends coordinates and text message to any email address.
Sends position/check-in at any set interval -- once a day or anything over that.
Continuous tracking at whatever interval you set -- seconds to hours.
"on duty" feature. When it's turned on, allows you to send a message, with position, that you're up and going.
Query feature -- if you don't check in, others can text or query to see if you respond.
Queues messages until a successful satellite lock & send is achieved. Checks every 20 minutes (to conserve power) until successful.
Can pre-load (via computer sync) canned messages, email addresses.
Viewable on password secured web portal.
Rechargeable via USB port.
In power save mode, battery will last 4 days (??) or so. If you just turn it on and off once or twice a day, it'll probably go weeks, though I haven't tested that.

So far, I think it works very well and am especially impressed with the thinking that went into the features offered -- very real world. I plan to suggest some design and interface changes though.

Downside: weighs 13 oz -- a tad heavy.
The emergency beacon goes to whoever you designate, so there's not necessarily 24/7 monitoring, though message can go to however many people you designate.
Higher cost than SPOT.
Cost: about $700 plus monthly subscription plan. Get your spouse to buy it... .

http://www.geoprosolutions.com/

George

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
Re: GeoPro: New Satellite messaging gizmo
George #5331 06/17/10 11:34 PM
S
S
Sounds nice. Expensive and a bit heavy.

But it beats that $1500 Solara unit I saw featured last week.

Last edited by Steve C; 06/18/10 04:15 PM. Reason: Solara link

Link Copied to Clipboard