Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Camp at Outpost; then Trail Camp? (need some advice)
#38381 07/07/14 06:34 PM
K
klm Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Do any Mt. Whitney summiteers ever do a 3-day summit trip with day 1 camping at Outpost; day 2 camping at Trail Camp; and day three being summit and descend.

I've done Mt. Whitney 2 times before and always did a 2-day trip with day 1 hiking to, and camping at, Trail Camp; day 2: summit and descend the Mountain; But this has always been physically trying and I just wanted to know if doing it in 3 days (as stated above) rather than 2 days, with adding Outpost in the middle sounds like a good idea to all you "pros"

thanks

Re: Camp at Outpost; then Trial Camp? (need some advice)
klm #38385 07/07/14 07:39 PM
W
W
I took 4 days in 2011.
Day 1 - Outpost Camp
Day 2 - Trail Camp
Day 3 - Summit & return to Trail Camp
Day 4 - Hike out

I did this for a few reasons. Get used to the altitude, slow pace to enjoy the journey, easier on the body. I was in no rush to get anywhere, other than be on the summit by noon.

klm #38387 07/07/14 09:03 PM
I haven't done this. But if I was going to do this, I might camp at Lone Pine Lake instead of Outpost Camp on Day 1. Lone Pine Lake is beautiful, and at night it is quieter (you don't have people walking through the camp all night on their way to the summit.) During the day, it can be a bit busy, as dayhikers go to LPL to fish.

The first two times I hiked to the summit of Whitney, I stayed at Trail Camp both nights, and summitted in between night 1 and night 2. That worked for me. Perhaps an alternative itinerary to consider.

klm #38391 07/07/14 11:07 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
KLM,

Many people do this hike the way that you've mentioned. I know that in his lectures on how to climb the mountain, professional guide Kurt Wedberg specifically mentions this option.

There is no doubt that it is easier than a 2 day.

Akichow mentions another way to do it that probably deserves a lot more attention. Sleep is an important part of getting up there.

Akichow #38396 07/07/14 11:30 PM
G
G
Originally Posted By: Akichow
I haven't done this. But if I was going to do this, I might camp at Lone Pine Lake instead of Outpost Camp on Day 1. Lone Pine Lake is beautiful, and at night it is quieter (you don't have people walking through the camp all night on their way to the summit.) During the day, it can be a bit busy, as dayhikers go to LPL to fish.

^This. LPL is an incredible place to spend the night, much nicer than OP. Actually, it isn't so much spending the night there that is incredible as it is waking up there that is incredible. There are some beautiful sunrises at LPL, and I would definitely think about changing that plan a little bit to make it your first stop.

Dang, now I wish I had three or four days to do Whitney this year.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #38419 07/08/14 12:02 PM
K
klm Offline OP
OP Offline
K
thanks for all the feedback. I will consider LPL rather than Outpost; as I do remember that the trail (Mt. Whitney Trail) does go right through Outpost.

Here's hoping for a good trip! Can't wait.

klm #38425 07/08/14 03:08 PM
Another 3-day option is two nights at Trail Camp. Simply return to Trail Camp from the summit on Day 2. Relax and enjoy it, rather than hustling to strike camp and then humping the weight down to the Portal. The second day of a 2-day bp on Whitney is usually where folks feel most knackered. Have a leisurely breakfast in an incredible environment the morning of Day 3, then easily be at the Portal before noon.

This has become my preferred itinerary with my family, except we don't stay at TC, but on the ledges above Consultation Lake - much quieter, less ghettoish, and infinitely prettier. The loudest sound you'll hear at night is a fish jumping in the lake. And, in my experience, significantly less wind.

This option is viable only if you've already acclimated. Trying to sleep the first night at 12K' without acclimation is asking for trouble.

Due to weather last year we had to stop at Outpost and camp. We had the closest campsite to the waterfall, furthest from the trail, but it was still very noisy during the night with dayhikers coming through.

Bulldog34 #38444 07/08/14 10:02 PM
K
klm Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks, Bulldog.
Those are excellent suggestions on specific camp site locations at both of those campgrounds. Where exactly are the ledges located around base camp? To east of Consolation Lake; to the North, South or the West? I can't seem to recall any ledges per se.

Kathy

klm #38460 07/09/14 03:42 AM
Kathy, they're just off the trail to the left (south), overlooking CL. You can't see them due to a slight rise of maybe 5 feet that blocks your view of the lake when you're alongside it. You may notice a few cairns to the side of the trail where a well-formed staircase is cut into the rock. These ducks generally indicate camping ledges on the other side of the rise. You have to walk up the rise to peek a time or two, but they're pretty easy to find.

These sites are 10-15 minutes below Trail Camp, but it's a completely different world. Peaceful, serene, beautiful.

These ledges have maybe a dozen semi-groomed, flat campsites interspersed over a stretch of a couple hundred yards. If you have neighbors, you won't see them. I've even been able to use tent stakes in some instead of tying guy-lines to rocks. If you do camp here, I strongly recommend you build a distinct cairn along the trail to let you know the location of your site. Since you can't see it from the trail, it can be easy to lose.

The downside is water availability. Early- to mid-summer season there's always a meltwater stream running along the trail on the right as you're ascending (another landmark that tells you the ledges are near, since you have to cross it) but later in the summer it may not flow dependably. The next option is getting water from CL itself, which would require some backtracking to the lower (eastern) end of the lake. You can also access the lake in a short, straight line downward from the ledges, but it's a class 3 scramble. The third option is the pond at Trail Camp.

Photos from a couple of different trips below:

Gary

Last edited by Bulldog34; 07/09/14 06:25 AM. Reason: Added photos
Re: Camp at Outpost; then Trail Camp? (need some advice)
Bulldog34 #53277 05/30/18 07:49 AM
M
M
Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for this info on camping at Consultation. My friend and I are planning to camp there in mid-July. I was wondering what the temperatures were like up there when you were camping, and if you felt the affects of altitude during the night?

Thanks so much!

mountainhiker15 #53285 05/31/18 09:00 AM
W
W
Night time temperatures can be anywhere from in the 50s to into the single digits. This is the Sierra, where the only thing that is consistent is the inconsistency of its weather.

I have been on the summit twice in summer where the temperatures were single digit...out of 7 summer trips.

You have to get closer to ****your**** date and check the localized forecast at weather.gov.

AMS is something that affects everyone differently. I had big time head my first trip...nada my second. A 4 symptom monster my first trip to White Mountain. In SoCal I can day hike anywhere without a problem but backpack is another story entirely. I take Diamox for any trip over 8,000'.

wbtravis #53305 06/02/18 12:33 PM
M
M
Thanks so much, appreciate your advice!

Bulldog34 #53362 06/07/18 07:41 AM
S
S
Gary,
Thanks for posting the pics and info for CL! I think we'll plan on tenting it there this fall. It looks like a cool/quiet place.

We camped at Trail Camp 2 years ago which was quite a stunning view since it was my visit to Whitney but now looking for something a little more away from the crowd.

Steve T. #53367 06/07/18 11:06 PM
B
B
There's a really nice spot at Consultation Lake itself. About 10 mins scrambling down from the trail, past the ledges that have previously been shown.

It's on the crosshairs in this map. I've paced out the distance to water at its >100ft so legal!

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.563773,-118.271449&z=20&t=s

This is totally away from the crowds, with beautiful views, shelter from rocky outcrops, and next to some great swimming off the slabs that go into the lake.

britonwhit(ney) #53370 06/08/18 06:06 AM
S
S
Excellent! Looks like quite the hidden little gem. Thanks for posting.

Steve T. #53372 06/08/18 07:45 AM
S
S
Not THAT hidden. The satellite image shows two tents in that spot. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard