Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Siging off
#53329 06/04/18 02:38 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Well, Steve, it has been not always been fun contributing to this forum, but interesting nonetheless. I've tried my damnest to contribute help and information, merely from a desire to see others travel safely in our mountains.

However, it has become obvious that some other posters, including Mr. Pickering, have resented my attempts to help.
If a few have been helped by my contributions, all well and good. I really don't need posting here to boost my ego.

So, good luck Steve, and cheerio mate!

Re: Siging off
Bob West #53334 06/04/18 09:29 PM
S
S
Bob W and Bob P:

Dammit! I like you both, and you both have valuable experience to share with less experienced people here.

It ticks me off when anyone here puts down other members, whether you're aiming at each other or at less experienced people.

My "rule of thumb" is: If you can contribute positive things, then post it. If all you have is negative, stay off the keyboard.

You two have lobbed flames at each other. Now stop it. Bob W, I hope you'll stick around.

Steve C #53336 06/05/18 12:09 AM
B
OP Offline
B
No, Steve, I've already allowed my own ego to get into a fight with another's ego, and that isn't healthy. So this will be my last post here. I admire you for sticking with it for so long. For me, I've reached the breaking point of frustration. It seems that no matter how much advice and help Pickering, myself and others give, the same sad things keep repeating themselves on Mt. Whitney.

I've sure a lot of good has come from this forum, and encourage you to keep up the good work. As for me, being called a liar by Mr. P. was the finish.

Bob West #53338 06/05/18 07:05 AM
I've enjoyed interacting with both you on this forum. You both have a lot to offer. Please work it out.

SierraNevada #53348 06/06/18 12:08 PM
J
JMH Offline
J
Bob-

I am 100% convinced that if you stop posting that in the future some person will be injured or worse on Whitney because they did not have the benefit of reading about your expertise and safety knowledge.

If 100 people read your post and 99 ignore it, then so be it for those 99 foolish ones. But if your post saves 1 out of 100 from a SAR rescue, then keep posting because that 1 person saved is still forth it.

There are people posting right now on this forum about cancelling their hikes in this early part of June because they are going to reschedule later in the year after more melting occurs. This is because they read your post or similar posts by other experienced hikers.

Newbies like me need the advice from the experienced guys on this forum like you. The experienced hikers on this forum are what make the whitneyzone the best and most accurate Whitney site on the internet.

JMH #53349 06/06/18 12:33 PM
I am reminded of the movie, It's a Wonderful Life, where Clarence took George back in time showing the world without George being born.

In my opinion, it is best scene in the movie.

Clarence shows George the grave site of Harry. Harry was 9 years old.

George states that it was not true and that he saved Harry when he fell through the ice when Harry was three.

Harry received the Medal of Honor as a naval aviator who saved 500 lives on a ship under a kamikaze attack.

Clarence reminded George that since George wasn't born, he was unable to save Harry.

Thus, those 500 men perished because Harry was not alive.

One person can change the lives of 1,000 people.

We need more posters who can do exactly that.

Imagine a what our world would be like if there was no Doug at the Portal Store, or no Steve C for the WZ, or no +@ti2d, or no wagga, or no Bulldog34, or no Bob Rockwell, or no Josiah Whitney, or no John Muir? I could go on.

It's a wonderful life...

"We each have two lives, and the second one begins when we realize we only have one." Confucius

Journey well...
Steve C #53350 06/06/18 01:29 PM
I’m sorry for chasing Bob away, Steve, but I was getting a little tired of the way he sometimes treated other members. I’m speculating here, but I think that years of rescuing/recovering people who did stupid stuff led not only to frustration, but contempt for at least some climbers. I almost jumped on him when he called work765 and others “brain-less (sic) idiots” in this post.

In this thread, KaraKyrgyz, posted a question, and Bob replied with a couple of stupid questions and a generic warning about how “You ought to be prepared for whatever you find.” (Note that I called the questions, not Bob, stupid.)

I thought Bob’s questions were intended to make KaraKyrgyz look silly, so I called him out for it. Everyone can read my post and see that I didn’t call Bob any names or hurl any insults. I simply pointed out the less-than-helpful intent of his post. I also posted a useful answer based on having actually been there. (If Bob had ever been there, he wouldn’t have asked about belaying from the top of the peak, and that’s why I commented about never noticing his name in the register.)

Bob called my post a flame and said that if I didn’t like the way he helps people like KaraKyrgyz “travel safely in the mountains” that I should “suck it up, Princess.”

Originally Posted By: Bob West
As for me, being called a liar by Mr. P. was the finish.

If anyone can show that I ever called him a liar, I will publicly apologize and invite him back.

Edit: typo

Last edited by bobpickering; 06/08/18 11:28 AM.
bobpickering #53371 06/08/18 07:23 AM
H
H
My general rule of thumb evaluating posters is to measure the number of personal trip reports vs overall comment history. While those who do not necessarily post TRs (or provide insight with respect to conditions from recent exposure) may certainly posses suitable experience to still provide helpful advice, the ratio is a clear tell in terms of orientation and intent.

Perhaps a simple equation would suffice: as TR/C -> 0, orientation shifts from positive encouragement, advice and support to lecturing, opinion and elevation of self.

Consider that my own personal ratio has now declined from responding to this thread. If the ratio were to continue its downward trend, then I would self regulate and try to refrain from establishing that type of identity on this board.

Looks like I better get back out there and post some news.

Last edited by Hobbes; 06/08/18 07:29 AM.
Hobbes #53373 06/08/18 07:51 AM
I move that we all have a beer, burger and fries at the Portal and be friends again...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #53397 06/10/18 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
I move that we all have a beer, burger and fries at the Portal and be friends again...

I second that motion.

SierraNevada #53446 06/13/18 12:28 AM
The stated (and operational) function of this forum is to help people (of various skill sets) not die on Whitney. This overrides friction/hurt feelings, etc. So it is for the commonweal to continue to contribute potential life-saving posts.

So make like Windows and press Reset & keep up the good work. Both of you. Mods on this site are ready to help: we could even organize a witness protection scheme. New identities & such.

I participate on other forums, and read others. This is, like Shreve's DailyCoyote.com, an exception, an amazingly civil place with little or no moderation required.

Beer - did someone mention sorting out differences over a beer? I'm in!

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #53720 06/28/18 07:47 AM
All those in favor of a beer run resolution at Whitney Portal during the 2018 Labor Day weekend say, "Aye!"

Journey well...

Link Copied to Clipboard