Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Long Term Parking - JMT
#53829 07/09/18 08:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hey guys. I'm a JMT hiker going southbound from Happy Isles in a couple weeks and I'm hoping to leave my car in Whitney.

What is the actual situation regarding long term parking at Whitney Portal? Reading around I'm getting conflicting reports. Is it legit? If so, where exactly? And would I manage to find a space on a weekend if I was early and persistent?

I realize there are places one can park for a fee in Lone Pine but I'm trying to avoid spending another $75. This trip already has me spread pretty thin.

Thanks all.

Re: Long Term Parking - JMT
Captain_Corduroy #53830 07/09/18 11:23 PM
S
S
I have not seen parking discussed since the Whitney Portal road construction project was completed. The overflow parking lot has always been available to long-term parking, except in 2016 when the road construction made parking difficult. Since the completion of the road construction, I am pretty sure you can park along the road, if the overflow lot is full.

But I am not sure. Please call the Wilderness Permit office number, 760-873-2483, and ask about the roadside parking. And please report back what you find.

There is also the option of parking along Minaret Road (in Mammoth) just below the Mammoth Mountain Inn. It puts your car in the middle of the JMT -- a little easier transportation-wise on each end, since you only need to use one bus shuttle at each end.

Re: Long Term Parking - JMT
Steve C #53838 07/10/18 06:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks so much Steve. Love this forum.

I called and the person I talked to didn't think it would be a problem, and to leave a copy my permit (or permit reservation ) on view along with a note "JMT hiker ETA"... She said to park along the side of the road which I gather, from an annotated overhear photo I found somewhere on the forum, is the drive up before we'd reach the parking proper.

I'm still concerned about spaces available on a weekend, although that's good to know it's possible.

Thanks for the suggestion re: Mammoth. I'm still really struggling to figure out how to get up to to Yosemite after I leave the car. I'd bus it but that ESTA doesn't run on weekends.

Link Copied to Clipboard