Next Thread
Print Thread
Planning help
#53916 07/24/18 12:33 PM
D
Deke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Since there are far more experienced people on this forum than myself I was hoping to get your input on my group itinerary.

We have overnight permits for this thursday. Our group consist of 3 people in our early 30's in decent shape but very limited experience with hiking at altitude.

Our plan is to get to the area a day before our hike and camp at the portal (if we can secure a walk in spot) or horseshoe meadow as a plan B.

How long would it take roughly to get from the trailhead to trailcamp? We plan for a slow to moderate pace. How early should we start the hike and what time should we plan to be at trailcamp?

As far as going from trailcamp to summit. We plan to take day packs and start at 5am so that we can summit before 11am. Is this realistic?

Any advice or input is appreciated!

Re: Planning help
Deke #53917 07/24/18 01:04 PM
G
G
Hi, Deke.

It sounds as if you've done quite a bit of reading and your instincts are solid. Here's my two cents:

- During the summer, the afternoons are very hot up at Trail Camp and there is little to no shade available. Since you plan on sleeping there, there is little advantage to reaching there much before late afternoon.
- I would plan on an overall speed as slow as 1 to 1.5 mph, breaks included. This would be true for the lower half (with packs, climbing up from the portal) and the upper half (without packs, up to the summit). So figure 4.5 to 6 hours--probably closer to 6-- for each section. Coming down is obviously much different and less of a concern.
- I would leave the portal at about 11 am on Thursday for the hike to Trail Camp.
- 5 am on Friday should be an early enough start to avoid being up high when storms are most likely to hit, but consider a 4 am start in order to get down off of the switchbacks a little earlier, again, because of the heat.
- Finally, since you do not need an early start up to Trail Camp, make hiking and sleeping at Horseshoe Meadow your Plan A. It's higher, which helps more, and the day hikes are gentler.

And the good news is that you all might do really well at altitude and be faster than I predict. I am just giving you what I think are conservative guesses.

Above all, have a blast!

Goose #53920 07/24/18 04:03 PM
S
S
Goose's advice is on the mark! Thanks, Goose!

Reminds me of the experience (posted in the old "current conditions" about a month ago: Dad and friend hiked slowly (about 1 mph) up to Trail Camp, teenage sons went fast, got there way ahead of them. Next day, sons were too sick with AMS to continue, the old guys made summit without trouble.

Also, Goose Plan A is a lot better. Best to sleep at 10k if possible.

Weather on Thursday is slight chance of T-storms. On Friday, sunny. So getting up extra early may not be necessary. Don't forget the of sun screen!!

Enjoy the trip. I think you have hit a good weather window!

Steve C #53924 07/24/18 09:40 PM
G
G
Thanks for the endorsement, Steve. I now realize that I forgot to add the most important part of this plan--it allows plenty of time for pancakes at the WP store before hitting the trail.

Link Copied to Clipboard