Print Thread
Whitney and camping questions
#54111 08/19/18 02:26 PM
J
Jack C Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey guys,
My group and I are planning for a Whitney summit August 28th with an overnight permit for the 27th. After a fair amount of research, I have some questions if you guys don't mind answering some of them. Awesome and helpful community you guys have here!

1. We currently have 2 overnight permits but will try for to get one more and we're hoping it's not too difficult since it's a Monday. What is the best plan of attack? Should we head to the visitor center and check everyday until 11am day-of until we decide on doing a different hike? Or check even more frequently than that? I'm hoping we don't annoy the rangers stationed there if we're constantly asking.

2. We're planning on staying at Cottonwood Lakes walk-in campgrounds on Saturday; Will it be crowded at the walk-in campgrounds on a late summer weekend and what would be a reasonable time to show up to grab a campsite?

3. If there's space at those walk-in campgrounds, do you guys prefer Horseshoe meadows or Cottonwood Lakes campgrounds? What are the best trails near for an easy and low intensity hike before Mt. Whitney? Currently planning to do Chicken Spring Lake trail but open to other suggestions.

4. How is Ravine campground, and any tips for staying there vs staying at Whitney Trailhead walk-in campgrounds?

After typing this out, I realize it's more about questions about camping around Whitney than hiking Whitney itself. After reading through most of the informative posts on this and other forums, most of the important questions and answers have already been ingrained in me. Hopefully you guys don't mind answering these camping questions. grin

Re: Whitney and camping questions
Jack C #54112 08/20/18 08:05 AM
S
S
For the extra permit, start checking Sunday at 8:30. People dropping off a slot or two may occur later in the day, though, as people like you come in and pick up their permit.

Never heard of the camp sites at Horseshoe Meadows being full -- they are all one-night-only, so people don't set up and stay. I've even arrived late at night, and just walked out to a flat spot and set up.

Trail Peak is an easy warmup hike from Horseshoe Meadows. Head south to Trail Pass, then west to the peak.

Trailhead walk-in spots are right by the trail head, so that's the best advantage. Pretty much always sites. I've never camped in the ravine area.

Link Copied to Clipboard