Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gambler's Special plane crash hike September 2018
#54098 08/16/18 04:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Planning on hiking up next month, likely the weekend of 9/22. I have been to the site twice, for a total of 2 hours. I plan on spending 2 nights there this time. It is fascinating to see ALL the pieces of the plane, in great condition, weather-wise (not crash-wise) after 50 winters on the mountain.

I may try to get to Tulainyo Lake from there as a day trip. I don't know if that is possible.

I am trying to talk some hiking friends into going, as I won't go alone.

If anyone is interested in this butt-kicker of a hike (think 6 straight hours on a stairmaster, nothing technical at all, just up, up, up with every step) and a holy grail of wreckchasing (very physical hike = very few people have been there = 99% complete plane), let me know. "Trailhead" (there is no trail, TBH) is at the end of Hogback road.

Re: Gambler's Special plane crash hike September 2018
dtfranco #54100 08/16/18 05:28 PM
S
S
Good luck, DT! I see you were the one reporting the last trip report, from 2015.

As for Tulainyo Lake, it looks possible looking at the topo maps. I'd head over the ridge to the west-southwest to that little tarn/pond, and from there the ridge to the west doesn't look too difficult.

I've carried a backpack over Russell/Carillon pass (heading southward), so I know that part works.

I've always wondered if heading up the North Fork Lone Pine creek (the Mountaineers Route), and then heading up Carillon Creek from Lower Boy Scout might be easier than starting from Hogback. You sure start at a higher point! Good luck!

Steve C #54103 08/16/18 08:50 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the advice. We tried the Carillon Creek way once before, but couldn't figure out a way over the top. That said, we camped in a beautiful meadow most of the way up to to No-Name Lake up Carillon way. The trip was not wasted.

I have some unfinished business at the crash site. This may be my last time there.

Good luck on your next hike.

Steve C #54140 08/27/18 02:56 PM
P
P
Can you circle the site on Google Earth? I would like to see the location. Thanks Steve.

pcieluch #54141 08/27/18 03:41 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: pcieluch
Can you circle the site on Google Earth? I would like to see the location. Thanks Steve.

Here's a Google Maps link. I think that is a wing.

Steve C #54144 08/28/18 11:38 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Yep. There is another wing in the pic to the left.

dtfranco #54239 09/13/18 10:04 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Found a climbing partner! Getting to trailhead (there really is no trail) Wednesday night.

This will be a much more explorative trip, now that I have been there and have had a few years to think about what to do next time.

Will try to explore impact point, see more propellers (about 6 feet tall, 100 lbs or so each. We have seen 1 of the 6), explore the lower levels of the rock pile/current plane resting site, where small stuff has filtered down to.

I hope this fulfills my fascination with this site. The hike is so brutal.

Looking forward to the Mammoth lakes Oktoberfest when we climb down on Saturday.

:o)

dtfranco #54409 10/10/18 11:28 AM
I scouted this out a month ago from where the trail ends and the bushwhacking begins at Hogback Creek. I'm seriously considering trying to get up to this crash site next week.

At the visitor center a USFS rep said that they don't issue overnight permits specifically for Hogback creek, but a George Creek permit would cover me for that area, as long as I didn't touch the Whitney Zone.

Since the crash site is not along the creek, but appears to be around a ridge line, on Google Maps and on a contour map, how and where do you leave the creek and head east to the site? It looks to be below the Cleaver east of Lake Tulainyo.

Would a bear canister be needed up this creek?

futbol #54410 10/10/18 11:37 AM
S
S
futbol, There is snow covering everything up there now -- look at the picture in the Current Conditions thread.

I think you should wait until next summer.

Steve C #54411 10/10/18 01:01 PM
Thanks Steve. That's another thing I was concerned about.

I guess I'll try a different trail next week.

futbol #54413 10/10/18 06:43 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: futbol
I scouted this out a month ago from where the trail ends and the bushwhacking begins at Hogback Creek. I'm seriously considering trying to get up to this crash site next week.

At the visitor center a USFS rep said that they don't issue overnight permits specifically for Hogback creek, but a George Creek permit would cover me for that area, as long as I didn't touch the Whitney Zone.

Since the crash site is not along the creek, but appears to be around a ridge line, on Google Maps and on a contour map, how and where do you leave the creek and head east to the site? It looks to be below the Cleaver east of Lake Tulainyo.

If you don't know exactly where the site is, don't go. Even if you do know exactly where it is, it's pretty tough to get to. There's usually just a 3-4 week window to make the trip every year, unless you want to see mostly snow. Parts of the site never really melt out. There are a couple key turns in the route that you don't want to miss. You will find that wreck chasing is nothing like hiking - no one is going to give you much help getting there until you've proven you are trustworthy. Especially this site. There are still human remains there. Items have already been pilfered. As Steve mentioned, the opportunity for this year has passed...........................DUG

DUG #54415 10/10/18 07:25 PM
Originally Posted By: DUG

If you don't know exactly where the site is, don't go. Even if you do know exactly where it is, it's pretty tough to get to. There's usually just a 3-4 week window to make the trip every year, unless you want to see mostly snow. Parts of the site never really melt out. There are a couple key turns in the route that you don't want to miss. You will find that wreck chasing is nothing like hiking - no one is going to give you much help getting there until you've proven you are trustworthy. Especially this site. There are still human remains there. Items have already been pilfered. As Steve mentioned, the opportunity for this year has passed...........................DUG

Thanks DUG.

Wow, I just assumed that the crews cleaning up after this in the '60's would have at least recovered the human remains, even with the limited resources they had.

I can understand propellers, fuselage, and all kinds of small items to be still laying around.

futbol #54416 10/10/18 08:52 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: DUG

Thanks DUG.

Wow, I just assumed that the crews cleaning up after this in the '60's would have at least recovered the human remains, even with the limited resources they had.

I can understand propellers, fuselage, and all kinds of small items to be still laying around.

They did the best they could given the conditions when it was found. I have a few pics of the day they found it.............................................DUG

dtfranco #54483 11/04/18 07:51 PM
T
T
good evening gentalmen, its been a while. wow this site has really got allot of attention in the last few years.
im almost done with the book, about 120,000 thousand words explaining the entire history of N15570 and its crew. I will be returning to the site as well this year. I,ll be shooting a documentary and going on my fourth visit and my second solo.
Ive also found and visited the five other aircraft that were lost searching for N15570, its all going to be in the book coming out this august. im curious if any of you who have visited the site contacted living relatives related to the crash.
im in contact with about 50 and have their full support.
i also did a one hour episode for "air crash confidential" which should be airing soon. I know its showing in the UK and Australia
any ways I will be bringing a memorial and reading off the passengers names.
please be stingy and respectful to the site and ghost the location Mr franco.I certainly hope your not spoon feeding the location to just any one, DUG knows whats up.
well I gotta hell of a hike coming up so Id better train.
chat soon

Link Copied to Clipboard