Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Successful Day Summit - 10/01/2018
#54668 02/10/19 01:06 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I know this is a few months late, but I figure it might actually be perfect timing with the lottery coming up. I got so much information from this forum, I wanted to be sure to give back.

Successful one-day summit on Monday, October 1st, 2018. 15.5 hours. Started a little after 2:00am

Travel:
In a 160-mile voyage of foreshadowing, I must say Route 395 between I-15 and Lone Pine was designed with about as much ingenuity as the very trail it was leading me to (that was a cheap shot at the 99 Switchbacks). The speed limit for passenger cars was 65 but only 55 for semi-trucks. Since it’s primarily only one lane in each direction and the trucks can barely manage 50 miles per hour, it ended up being one long slow-moving line of cars day and night. Bring a book on tape or something.

Lodging:
I chose to stay at Lone Pine Campground for no particular reason. It was fairly crowded, as I imagine it always is, and the sites are tight to begin with. Bring some ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. There is almost zero shade throughout most of the campground so plan ahead. If I were to do it over again, I would have stayed at the Whitney Portal Campground since it’s closer to the trailhead and is among the trees. Also, it’s elevation is higher than Lone Pine.

If you are planning on staying at Lone Pine Campground, keep in mind spaces 12 thru 38 are a pain because they are only accessible by a narrow one-way road. In other words, if you are in space 36, you have to start near space 10 and drive through the entire camp. For example I got stuck in a line of 6 cars waiting for someone having trouble backing their trailer into their spot. Spots 1-8 and 40-43 are a lot more convenient.

Permit:
I thought the online process for the permit and campsite were simple. At the Visitor Center there were several of us waiting patiently in line to pick up our permits. The employee who perceived herself to be in charge had a minor freakout due to the length of the line (which wasn’t even that long, it just looked like it because of group sizes) and began a “lottery” which she insisted was for order of service. This caused a great deal of confusion since, as we all know, the term “lottery” applies to people who haven’t gotten their permit yet. Her issues only succeeded in taking even more time while putting people to the front of the line who hadn’t been waiting as long as some of the others. If this happens just be patient and remember that position is usually part-time/temporary/seasonal and the whole process might not be as efficient as your local Starbucks or Chipotle.

I spent way more time waiting than I did actually talking with the Forest Service worker. If you give them the impression you have read all of the rules and otherwise done your research, they’ll likely just breeze through everything with you real quick and ask if you have any questions.

Climb:
The Mt. Whitney Trail is a m****r f****r. Pardon my language but that’s the best way I can describe it. Your readings should have confirmed this information by now anyway. The climb out of the Portal is an attention-getter to begin with (plus is messes with your head because it's usually warmer down there), the 99 Switchbacks section was created by the Devil himself (I know exactly what you're thinking: "They're switchbacks, how bad can it be?"), and the 1.9 miles from Trail Crest to the summit will make you wonder if you packed enough paracord to fashion a noose out of. Take a lot of pictures at the summit because you’ll be too hypoxic and tired to remember the view. Then just think, you have to get all the way back down!

To add some perspective: I am a 30-year-old triathlete and distance runner with experience competing at altitude plus I’ve done peaks in the 12’s and 13’s without any issue. Having said that, I have no shame in admitting Mt. Whitney repeatedly kicked me right in the balls for all of 15 hours and 25 minutes. I did not encounter any symptoms of acute mountain sickness on this trip nor have I in the past. My point is that you can be in great shape and have no issues with the altitude but still struggle on this mountain. By comparison how dangerous does it sound to try this hike in one day if you’re out of shape and suffering from AMS?

I highly recommend spreading this hike out over more than one day. Acclimate for more than one night. Be in great physical condition. Use trekking poles and load up on your favorite anti-inflammatory drugs. Consistently hydrate and fuel whether you want to or not. I know it's harder to get permits that way and you have to take more time off work, but it will make everything so much more enjoyable.

Weather:
It was a beautiful, clear day. There was no snow and the only ice was in a 15-foot section that was off to the side of the footpath (I have read this patch of ice exists 365 days per year). I kept taking my gloves off and debated going from pants to shorts. The wind chill was way worse than the air temperature. I’ve heard scary things about Mt. Whitney in October but I couldn’t have asked for much better. By comparison, I had to cancel my July lottery spot in 2017 due to inclement weather. Go figure!

Now that I'm done whining and being sarcastic, I want to take a moment to, in all seriousness, say thank you to anyone who might read this that had anything to do with making my trip possible. By this I mean those who envisioned and built the trail long ago, those who maintain it today, the Forest Service workers, all of the emergency personnel in that area (which thankfully I did not need to utilize), the campsite manager, the people working in Lone Pine, all of you posting and answering questions on this board, etc etc. Thank you for making it possible for us to climb to the top.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while in case anyone has questions.

Re: Successful Day Summit - 10/01/2018
RollingBlackout #54683 02/12/19 07:48 AM
M
M
Enjoyed reading your account; thanks for posting.

RollingBlackout #54684 02/12/19 09:53 AM
S
S
Glad you made it, RollingBlackout!

It is telling that, being a runner, etc, that it still took all you had! Your story is well worth reading.

RollingBlackout #54885 03/31/19 09:51 PM
P
P
-How much water/hydration did you bring?
-Did you use the paracord for any part of the hike? If so, where?
-Which type of training was most effective in helping you prepare for Mt Whitney!

Thanks and congrats on a successful day summit!

pbandj #54886 04/01/19 07:48 PM
S
S
pbandj, Most hikers carry a water filter, and filter several places along the trail. You only need a small amount to carry and sip on the way to Trail Camp, if you drink as much as you can at each water crossing. I myself skip the filter and dip and drink, but many people are reluctant to do that.

After Trail Camp, most people carry 3 liters. The idea is to finish one by Trail Crest, and save one for the way down from the summit.

The paracord was more of a joke. People don't really carry or use it.

For training, people use all sorts of variations. Go to the gym, or just jog several times a week. Or go on long hikes in the weeks before you go. Maybe others will suggest what they do.

pbandj #54918 04/10/19 12:40 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I believe I had about 3 liters of water plus a little bit of Gatorade. I went through all of it but would bring the same amount if I did it again. Stay hydrated on the trail even if you don't feel thirsty. Make sure to have some water ready in your car for when you get back too. Contrary to what the above comment is implying, there is no guaranteed water beyond Trail Camp so don't plan on filtering the entire way up. Side note to the other user's comment: I would NEVER suggest anyone to drink unfiltered water at any trail. EVER. Most people who recommend such a thing have never seen someone go through the negative consequences of such an easily preventable illness.

Being an endurance athlete certainly prepared me physically for this hike, but it was still no substitute for activity-specific training. Find the highest peaks and the longest trails near you and spend as much time on them as possible. Wear the same layers, socks, and shoes that you will on Whitney. Use the same backpack and put just as much weight in it as you will have on Whitney. Eat the same food you will on Whitney. Do not let Whitney be the first 12+ hour / 13,000+ foot hike you do; and do not let it be the hike for you to test new equipment or a new diet on.

RollingBlackout #54919 04/10/19 02:41 PM
S
S
RollingBlackout, are you saying you did your entire day hike with just 3 liters and a Gatorade (that sounds like 4 liters). If it was a cool/chilly day, that might work. But for a normal summer day, it's not the best plan. Not sure where you read anything about water beyond Trail Camp -- there is only a trickle at switchback 23, and it dries up in late summer.

There ARE people who day hike the entire 22 miles and never need any stream water, but they are limiting their chances of completion by carrying all that water starting out.

As for the "NEVER...EVER" comments: I have also had Giardia once, whether it came from the mountains or somewhere else is unknown. In the past there has been a lot of debate regarding the need to treat the water. Even the first article about a Giardia attack (in the 70s in Colorado) was subsequently pointed out to be suspect due to the timing of the symptoms. I won't tell you not to treat your water, but I will continue to hike and climb in the Sierra without any water treatment. Here's a link to start with:
    60,000 Liters of Water Consumed -- Untreated

RollingBlackout #54920 04/10/19 06:32 PM
S
S
Re: mountain water purity. I once saw a study referred to on this or a similar forum. Water was sampled from multiple Sierra lakes and streams. The test results showed that in almost every case, the untreated mountain water was cleaner and more pure than most municipal water sources. The contaminated water supply in Flint, MI, a couple of years ago is a great example of how our trust in what comes out of our taps is not always warranted. As many experienced hikers do, I almost always drink straight from the lake or stream, unfiltered, and can't recall a case where I paid a price. Of course, one must be smart about what's upstream...

Link Copied to Clipboard