Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (sumptimwong), 22 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3845 Members
10 Forums
5644 Topics
51495 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#55335 - 06/08/19 05:55 PM Anyone hiked Whitney using Mountain Running Shoes?
Avi Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I was at the REI garage sale today and on a whim picked up a newish North Face Ultra 110 gtx for $50. I loved the deep treads on it and it seemed to have good foot support (though not as much on the ankle).

I did Whitney last year using a Vasque hiking boot and it killed my feet on the descent. I have been reading about trail running shoes and am seriously considering it for this year's trip.

I have most trouble with my knees and ankles on the way down. I have given up on ankle high boots giving me enough ankle support, so will be relying on ankle braces.

Thoughts/suggestions?

#55337 - 06/08/19 09:47 PM Re: Anyone hiked Whitney using Mountain Running Shoes? [Re: Avi]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
I use Nike Leadville by New Balance. Use the ankle braces and good lightweight hiking poles. That's what I would do.

#55355 - 06/09/19 03:38 PM Re: Anyone hiked Whitney using Mountain Running Shoes? [Re: Avi]
MikeH Online

Loc: Escondido, CA
I would work on strengthening your ankles v.s. wearing braces. Calf raises etc.

I hiked up to trail camp in my Altra Lone Peaks. I switched to the Altras after using light(ish) weight boots (Merrels etc). I've done multiple overnight backpacking trips with them. I much prefer the Lone Peaks- although I wish the soles last a bit longer. If I was rock climbing or bouldering, maybe I'd pick something with a sturdier sole.

I purchased a pair of La Sportiva Bushidas to try to get a longer lasting sole and have only been marginally happy with them v.s. the Lone Peaks.

I don't believe any boot short of a ski boot could provide enough ankle support without tying it so tight you'd be miserable.