Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (Geoff), 11 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3840 Members
10 Forums
5640 Topics
51457 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2019 (Old)

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.

#55301 - 06/04/19 01:08 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Sauce Castillo Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Summited via MR and returned via Main Trail on 6/2.

-No issues with the North Fork creek crossings.
-E Ledges were clear of snow and dry.
-Made LBSL at dawn. One of the last spots to take water without melting snow.
-Cramponed up and went straight to UBSL. Good boot pack here.
-Iceberg Lake is completely frozen over and covered in snow.
-Lots of snow in the chute. Final 400 was good. Some powder on top from the afternoon storms that are happening on an almost daily basis right now.
-I was told not to take the walk off and it looked sketchy.
-The main trail snow was in good shape going from the summit towards the JMT junction. No post holing if you stay right on the trail.
-Trail was narrow in many of the gullies. Be careful not to snag your crampons and take a fall down one of them.
-Took off the crampons and made the glissade from Trail Crest down with no issues. Lots of soft snow here.
-Trail Camp completely frozen over.
-It was a fast descent towards the portal on the snow. Took water at Outpost Camp. Several dry spots to camp there.
-Did not absolutely need snowshoes at any point of this trip. Not worth the extra weight in my opinion.

I hope someone finds this info helpful. I wish you the best of luck and a safe journey.

#55394 - 06/12/19 09:43 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
These pictures from June 6 & 7:

View of the lower switchbacks from Trail Camp. Many of the lower ones are buried under snow. I walked a zig-zag line up to the first ones left of the main tracks thru the snow. (click on each picture to see the full-size view.)

Switchback trail thru the cables section.

The bend at the top of the cables. It is a steady incline, even though the picture doesn't look that way.

See all the pictures here: Switchbacks 2019

#55454 - 24 minutes 25 seconds ago Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Geoff Online

Loc: MA
Wow! These pictures are great! Well done!

My buds and I are hiking Whitney next week! Very excited! Coming in from Western Massachusetts. We're still deciding which trail, but leaning towards the approach that includes the 99 switchbacks. Would you say they are now in fact usable? Or will we have to navigate the chute? Thank you all for your feedback!